Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]

Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: emilio911
What is it?

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) is a "service" some merchants and ATM operators offer that will charge a cardholder in the native currency of the card rather than the local currency. A more complete definition and examples are available via this Wikipedia article on DCC. While sold as a convenience to cardholders traveling outside of their home country, it is a pure profit play by the merchants. You may end up paying a fee of up to 8% over the purchase price for accepting DCC. Always decline DCC and asked to be billed in the local currency!

Where will I see it?

You can be hit with DCC anywhere there is a difference between your debit or credit card's denominated currency and the currency of the location where you're trying to use the card. The most common example will be at a merchant overseas, but now some ATMs are offering the service too. While many US cardholders complain about getting tricked into accepting DCC overseas, some merchants in the US have started to use DCC as well.

What is the issue?

Unless you're the merchant or ATM operator, there isn't much benefit to using DCC. Some customers say they prefer knowing exactly how much they'll be charged in their home currency or may not know the exchange rate of the place where they are visiting. For example, if you are in Prague for two days and you don't know how much the Czech Koruna is worth relative to the US Dollar, you might feel more comfortable knowing that you're buying an item for $205.00 versus 4000 CZK. However, the real exchange rate as of January 18, 2014 would place 4000 CZK at $197.18. You just paid an extra $7.82 for the "convenience" of knowing how much you'd be charged!

DCC often charges about a 4% premium over the true exchange rate. The problems don't stop there since many US banks still charge a 3% foreign transaction fee (FTF) for purchases made outside of the US. Not only would you get hit with the $205.00 charge, you could also find yourself facing a total charge of $211.15 if your card has a 3% FTF.

This is a pure money grab from the merchants, and it's billed as an easy way to squeeze additional revenue out of the transaction. Numerous [1, 2] articles have talked about DCC duping many consumers. Discover even has a warning about being tricked into DCC when using a card abroad.

For example, this FlyerTalk member reported that Avis charged his Saudi credit card in Saudi riyals instead of USD for a car rental in Florida without his consent. This has also been a trend for hotels, particularly large chains as indicated here and here.

DCC is simply not worth it for the consumer. Unless you like paying a convenience fee of up to 5% of the total transaction just to know how much you will be billed, you should always decline DCC and ask to be billed in local currency when handing over your card.

Furthermore, it is in your interest to obtain a card that has a 0% FTF. FlyerTalk member kebosabi maintains a fairly comprehensive spreadsheet of EMV-enabled cards ideal for overseas travel, many of which offer a low or 0% FTF as a feature. There is also a wiki at FlyerGuide of various FTF of debit and credit cards.

What can I do to avoid DCC?

American Express currently does not support DCC on its network, so you are safe from DCC if using an American Express card. However, Visa and MasterCard card networks can support DCC, so be vigilant when purchasing abroad with a Visa or MasterCard branded card. There have been reports of being charged DCC with a Discover card in China [citation needed], but primarily the issue is happening with Visa and MasterCard cards.

Before handing your card to the merchant, always specify clearly that you want to be charged in the local currency and that you do not want DCC. For some transactions, you retain control of your card as you dip it into a chip reader and can view on a screen to select which currency you want to use for the transaction. Always select the local currencyto get the best exchange rate. Do not select the card's native currency!

Similarly, for ATM withdrawals, make sure you decline any kind of conversions. Some good examples of what to look for when using an ATM overseas are here and here. You're probably coming off of a long flight and fatigued, but educating yourself beforehand can save you from getting ripped off. The user interfaces on almost all of these ATMs are set up to encourage you to take the bait, and you have to be extremely vigilant not to fall for it.

If you are doing a PIN-based transaction, you should have the opportunity to review the total amount and denomination of the transaction before entering your PIN. If you are doing a signature transaction and the merchant has processed your transaction with DCC, cross out the amount and write "DCC refused" on the receipt. Do not sign the receipt, and demand that the merchant reverse the transaction and run it in the local currency. If no verification is required due to a small purchase amount, ask the merchant to reverse the charge and repeat the transaction using local currency. If all else fails, file a dispute with your card issuer when you return home. Even if it's immaterial, the banks will get the message like they did with EMV.

Some merchants will claim that their systems have to bill you in your native currency. This is a complete lie. But just like a mag stripe only card, this is battle where you have to be prepared. Don't settle for merchants claiming that "it has to be done this way" or "pay cash if you don't want this". Be prepared to walk away, and, if you must complete the transaction, write "DCC refused & merchant didn't give a choice" on the receipt and cross out the amount. Let the merchant know that you will be filing a dispute with your bank.

Disabling DCC

Disabling DCC on ANZ terminals in Australia

ANZ markets DCC as Customer Preferred Currency (CPC). Terminal operators can contact ANZ Merchant Services at 1800 039 025 to have this feature disabled. Currently, your Visa or MasterCard will be subjected to DCC if denominated in: CAD, CHF, DKK, EUR, GBP, HKD, JPY, MYR, NOK, NZD, SEK, SGD, THB, USD, or ZAR. All DCC transactions on ANZ will cause a 2.5% markup. Steps to avoid DCC:
  1. Insert, swipe, or tap your payment card
  2. Have the cashier select credit (CR)
  3. The terminal will display CREDIT ACCOUNT
  4. If applicable, enter your PIN
  5. The terminal will display PROCESSING \ PLEASE WAIT
  6. The terminal will display EXCH <exchange rate> \ <currency> <amount> \ ACCEPT RATE? \ ENTER=YES CLR=NO
  7. Instruct the cashier to press the yellow CLEAR (CLR) button (If entering a PIN, you can retain the terminal to perform this step yourself. If entering a signature, you can ask for the terminal to control this process, not indicating that it's a chip-and-signature card.)
  8. The transaction should now process without DCC

If you see a signature slip with DCC verbiage and a checkbox indicating a currency selection, kindly ask the merchant to void the transaction. If it's a PIN-based transaction, you have an additional opportunity to cancel the transaction because it will ask for your PIN a second time. For instance, if you see "EUR 17.29 KEY PIN" refuse to enter your PIN and start again.

Disabling DCC in China

There are many reports of forced DCC in China, and there is a great thread [closed to new posts] on DCC in China on the the China Destinations forum.

Disabling DCC on Bankcomm terminals in Beijing http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=12272&p=2 #19

jair101's DCC instructions of March 2011 http://www.etveg.com/misc/DCC_China.pdf

Disabling DCC in Eurozone and UK

DCC offered in tourist traps (Harrods Knightsbridge/Galleries Lafayette Montparnesse/El Cortes Ingles Grand Via Madrid)

Unlike the rest of the world, Visa Europe does not require merchants to collect a ticked box on the slip (presumably because merchants there don't keep signed slips under Chip-and-PIN)
El Cortes Ingles collects a signature electronically and the DCC selection is made on the signature pad - the choice is respected.
Harrods and GL rely on cashier input in the POS for the currency choice - the cashier may forget to ask. The POS do not offer voiding (only refunds), but since you're given a slip to sign the best thing to do is to deface it before signing and submit chargeback request to issuer bank on return home.

There may be smaller merchants who also collect DCC but I seemed to have pre-empted most of them by saying "charge Euros (Pounds) please"

In Spain all merchants by law are required to provide you with a complaint form called an hoja de reclamaciones if requested. The form has two carbon copies. The customer retains one copy as a record of the complaint. The merchant maintains another copy, and the third is sent to the local consumer protection bureau. Merchants are also required to post a sign conspicuously informing the customer of the right to complain (usually in Spanish and English). Do not accept the lie that they don't have any forms. This is illegal, and you are able to call the police if the merchant refuses to provide you with this official form. It's interesting to see merchants start to squirm when you know the rules, and most merchants will start to be accommodating after you mention it. (Please still fill out the form even if the merchant cooperates after mentioning it because these are likely the merchants who won't otherwise change their behavior.)

Disabling DCC in Hong Kong and Macau

Hong Kong and Macau can get as non-compliant as China, possibly because many acquirers have cross-border operations and know they can get away with non-compliant firmware and procedures.

In practice, if you are given a DCC slip, and the cashier has not taken a choice before giving you your copy, the slip will be processed in your home currency - be prepared to dispute.

Unable to disable Global Payments DCC in Hong Kong instance #1, instance #2

Unable to disable DBS DCC in Fortress Electronics HK

Unable to disable BoC DCC in Free Duty HK

Disabling DCC in Japan and Korea

Japan's just starting out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...ing-japan.html and http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=3939&p=17 #168 but there are no reports I know of where cardholders are compelled to use DCC against their will.

Korea is also not much affected by DCC but where offered, trying to opt out is harder than Japan due to the language barrier (both verbal and written)
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=4303&p=3 #23
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=12272&p=2 #11

Disabling DCC in the Maldives

Disabling DCC on Global Payment terminals in the Maldives

Disabling DCC in Thailand and Taiwan

DCC present but generally not an issue. Cashier will generate quote slip is usually generated and pass to cardholder. When cardholder refuses, a verbage-free slip denominated in THB/TWD will be produced.

Certain Taiwan hotels may take deposits in cardholder currency. But these are only pre-authorisations and can be voided in full for TWD-only final checkout payments.

Disabling DCC on Websites

Airbnb - (Since the "loophole" seem not to work anymore, please report if you chargeback the DCC. )
Hotwire - You need to select your preferred currency before making a search.
PayPal - The instructions to stop the DCC on a recurring charge are here.

I got duped by DCC already before I found this thread. Is there anything I can do?

If you've been hit with DCC and the merchant did not follow the Visa/MC rules, you should file a dispute with your card issuer. Even if the transaction is a small amount, it's worth it to dispute the charge on principle. Do not let merchants get away with this scam uncontested!

If you were not clearly given a choice of currencies and did not specifically communicate a preference to be billed in your card's native currency - if you did not accept DCC - then you have recourse when filing a dispute with your card issuer. The Visa Product and Service Rules clearly state (p 339):
  • Merchants that offer DCC must be compliant with the regulations
  • Inform the cardholder that DCC is optional
  • Not impose any additional requirements to use local currency
  • Not use any language or procedures that may cause the cardholder to choose DCC by default
  • Not convert a transaction in the local currency to the card's billing currency after the transaction has completed
  • Ensure that the cardholder expressly agrees to DCC

You can even use terminology from Visa Product and Service Rules when filing the dispute, giving Reason Code 76: Incorrect Currency or Transaction Code. Reason Code 76 is used when the transaction was processed with an incorrect transaction code, or an incorrect currency code, or one of the following:
  • Merchant did not deposit a transaction receipt in the country where the transaction occurred
  • Cardholder was not advised that Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) would occur
  • Cardholder was refused the choice of paying in the merchants local currency
  • Merchant processed a credit refund and did not process a reversal or adjustment within 30 calendar days for a transaction receipt processed in error

MasterCard's rules also clearly state that the POI Currency Conversion must be decided by both the merchant and customer. When filing a dispute with a MasterCard, list chargeback Reason Code 4846 from the MasterCard Chargeback Guide, which covers POI currency conversion disputes in the following circumstances:
  • The cardholder states that he or she was not given the opportunity to choose the desired currency in which the transactions was completed or did not agree to the currency of the transaction, or
  • POI currency conversion took place into a currency that is not the cardholder's billing currency, or
  • POI currency conversion took place when the goods or services were priced in the cardholder's billing currency, or
  • POI currency conversion took place when cash was disbursed in the cardholdeer's billing currency.

You do have a choice of currencies. Exercise that choice!

Do not get taken by surprise when faced with DCC, and know your options. As Visa/MC purport, you do have a choice of currencies, but you need to make that choice heard! Don't be complacent in this sneaky tactic by some merchants to pad revenues.

Before going to a different country, get educated. Understand the exchange rate relative to your native currency. Know how to recognize when the merchant is trying to force DCC on the transaction, and pull out all of the stops to make sure it doesn't happen to you.

If you have a chip-and-PIN credit card, it's easier to control the transaction to try to prevent DCC. With chip-and-signature, if you get an uncooperative merchant, deface the merchant's copy of the receipt. Write LOCAL OPTION NOT OFFERED, cross out the DCC currency amount, and sign the receipt.

This will give additional evidence when filing a dispute to get the DCC charges refunded. When filing the dispute, you can use the Visa Exchange Rate Calculator or MasterCard's Currency Conversion Tool to determine the Visa or MasterCard exchange rate on the date the transaction posted to your credit card. Compare this to the DCC value to figure out the amount by which the merchant overcharged you. Don't forget to add in any Foreign Transaction Fee if your card has one. (If it does, you should really consider finding a card for use overseas without a FTF. )

Example Images (click for a larger image)

Hotel receipts in China, the Netherlands, and Dubai respectively:

Purchase receipts in China and Korea:

Cancelled translation in Hong Kong:

Novotel in Shenzen:

Print Wikipost

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]

Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I stayed at a hotel in Beijing last month (I won't name which because I've been in discussion with the hotel manager about the incident and he's been very receptive to my comments). Got hit with DCC when the person who was checking me out hit the USD button without asking me. Fortunately I was vigilant, and when I saw the charge come up in USD on the receipt, I made the person behind the counter reverse the charge and do it properly in RMB.

I emailed the hotel manager with several complaints about the hotel (one of which was using DCC) and he said that the hotel doesn't control the exchange rates; the Bank of China does. I suggested that they simply stop offering DCC, since the 4.1% rate they were going to charge me was much greater than the FTF charged by the worst offending banks (which charge 3%). My card happens to charge 0%.

Why would a merchant do this by default? Do they get some sort of kickback from the bank if they let the bank rip off the customer?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
I stayed at a hotel in Beijing last month (I won't name which because I've been in discussion with the hotel manager about the incident and he's been very receptive to my comments). Got hit with DCC when the person who was checking me out hit the USD button without asking me. Fortunately I was vigilant, and when I saw the charge come up in USD on the receipt, I made the person behind the counter reverse the charge and do it properly in RMB.

I emailed the hotel manager with several complaints about the hotel (one of which was using DCC) and he said that the hotel doesn't control the exchange rates; the Bank of China does. I suggested that they simply stop offering DCC, since the 4.1% rate they were going to charge me was much greater than the FTF charged by the worst offending banks (which charge 3%). My card happens to charge 0%.

Why would a merchant do this by default? Do they get some sort of kickback from the bank if they let the bank rip off the customer?
If you read the brochures credit card processors send to merchants enticing them to sign up, the answer to your last question is a resounding YES. Also note that when a bank has a foreign transaction fee, one gets hit with the 3% even if the charge is DCC'd so it would really be 7%.

Now sometimes, remember, there is a 16 year old kid (not so much in a hotel of course) working behind the counter and their training is such that since the vast majority of people think it's wonderful they are being billed in a currency they are familiar with or buy into it's a good exchange rate (one of the lies is that it's a good exchange rate but what they do is compare the rate not with the interbank rate but the rate posted in the bank windows for cash exchange which is usually about 10% above the interbank rate anyway). Yada yada yada. That is why I never take out my frustration on the clerk but after the clerk gives one of the lies, politely ask to see the manager. Now I don't know the situation say in China but when I ran int my problem in Ireland, the manager was the same age as the clerk but given the title manager and refused to change it saying there was noo rule in Ireland that I had to consent to be scammed. So I carried out the procedure of writing dcc declined, crossing out the USD amount and circling the euro amount. The manager asked me why I was doing that. I said because I'm going to dispute the charge when I get home as you're breaking your contract with in this case visa. As it turned out, doggone it, my bank simply refunded the 54 difference instead of charging it back to teach those clowns a lesson.

The reality is most people you deal with on the retail level have no idea about what's going on with this. That is the reason people in the know must continue to fight this scam because it is spreading like wildfire throughout the travelling world!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by LoneTree
Don't Visa/MC require explicit authorization from the terminal?
They sure do but in many cases the cashier has been trained to simply press the accept dcc button without asking and remembering the average cashier is probably some student looking to pick up a few euro or pounds or whatever for a part time job, they don't usually have a clue.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
Don't Visa/MC require explicit authorization from the terminal?
They sure do but in many cases the cashier has been trained to simply press the accept dcc button without asking and remembering the average cashier is probably some student looking to pick up a few euro or pounds or whatever for a part time job, they don't usually have a clue.
Agreed, but I'm responding to the person who was talking about a no CVM transaction automatically triggering DCC.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
I said because I'm going to dispute the charge when I get home as you're breaking your contract with in this case visa. As it turned out, doggone it, my bank simply refunded the 54 difference instead of charging it back to teach those clowns a lesson.

The reality is most people you deal with on the retail level have no idea about what's going on with this. That is the reason people in the know must continue to fight this scam because it is spreading like wildfire throughout the travelling world!
Banks may continue to eat the cost now, but what about if more and more people start submitting claims about being scammed by DCC? Surely it cost your bank more than 54 to reverse to you. If enough people start to complain, issuers can begin to change their tune. For example, how recently would you get the line of "all merchants are required by Visa/MC policy to accept all cards blah blah blah..." when you asked why the bank didn't issue cards with EMV? That's all you would hear from them about two years ago.

When I went to call about getting a new card from Chase with EMV last week, the story was completely different. The rep not only knew about EMV, but he knew the differences between chip-and-signature and chip-and-PIN. Granted this could have been one of the few who was in the know, but I doubt it.

Agreed, but I'm responding to the person who was talking about a no CVM transaction automatically triggering DCC.
I don't know the process as a cashier for this scenario, but I think they would have to opt for it for the terminals to be in compliance with Visa policy.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Banks may continue to eat the cost now, but what about if more and more people start submitting claims about being scammed by DCC? Surely it cost your bank more than 54 to reverse to you. If enough people start to complain, issuers can begin to change their tune. For example, how recently would you get the line of "all merchants are required by Visa/MC policy to accept all cards blah blah blah..." when you asked why the bank didn't issue cards with EMV? That's all you would hear from them about two years ago.

When I went to call about getting a new card from Chase with EMV last week, the story was completely different. The rep not only knew about EMV, but he knew the differences between chip-and-signature and chip-and-PIN. Granted this could have been one of the few who was in the know, but I doubt it.

I don't know the process as a cashier for this scenario, but I think they would have to opt for it for the terminals to be in compliance with Visa policy.
The bank probably ate the charge because it was a small amount. If it's a larger amount, say $50 on a hotel stay, they probably initiate a chargeback which might incur a fee on the merchant by his or her bank.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...onversion.html
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Hi moondog, I'll add this to the wiki. I started this thread to be more of a comprehensive discussion of DCC, but the China thread has some great information.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
I experienced a rather annoying DCC scam at my wife's doctor's office in Shanghai. It was a $9k bill (neo-natal care and prepayment for hospital), and the invoice came in USD. We had previously paid in CNY at this office, but we tried every POS machine and could only get USD. I ended up using my AMEX and paying the int'l transaction fees, but I unwilling to eat the ludicrous FOREX rates offered by Bank of China and China merchant's bank. In this case, at least, the whole finance staff of the hospital claimed to be uninformed.

If it was simply a scam by the teller, it would be easy to overcome. The fact that the banks set the machines in such a way to prevent local currency transactions makes it so much worse to do business. I just stopped using merchants with DCC issues, though the staff was often unable to understand exactly why...
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Zomba
I experienced a rather annoying DCC scam at my wife's doctor's office in Shanghai. It was a $9k bill (neo-natal care and prepayment for hospital), and the invoice came in USD. We had previously paid in CNY at this office, but we tried every POS machine and could only get USD. I ended up using my AMEX and paying the int'l transaction fees, but I unwilling to eat the ludicrous FOREX rates offered by Bank of China and China merchant's bank. In this case, at least, the whole finance staff of the hospital claimed to be uninformed.

If it was simply a scam by the teller, it would be easy to overcome. The fact that the banks set the machines in such a way to prevent local currency transactions makes it so much worse to do business. I just stopped using merchants with DCC issues, though the staff was often unable to understand exactly why...
Why not just pay the bill, then have your CC issuer initiate a chargeback for the "overpaid" portion -- the difference between the Visa/MC rate in effect at the time and the DCC rate you were charged? That's perhaps the best way to send a message to these merchants that this behavior is unacceptable (and one that has real consequences as far as the fees they're paying to Visa/MC).

I stayed at the Parkyard Hotel in Shanghai one time and they hit me with DCC and refused to reverse it. So I just initiated a chargeback and hit them where it hurts the most: on their bottom line.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
Why not just pay the bill, then have your CC issuer initiate a chargeback for the "overpaid" portion -- the difference between the Visa/MC rate in effect at the time and the DCC rate you were charged?
I used to play the chargeback game myself, but have long since given up because I was wasting lots of time and I don't think the merchants/acquirers actually cared (for every squeaky wheel, there are 100 other people that generate substantial bonus profits). The idea of boycotting DCC establishments is all well and good, but you'd have trouble eating in Shanghai if you maintained this policy. I usually simply pay cash or use Unionpay these days.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Great start to the DCC thread! ^
I agree. ^ Thanks for starting it, and for creating a detailed wiki.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I used to play the chargeback game myself, but have long since given up because I was wasting lots of time and I don't think the merchants/acquirers actually cared (for every squeaky wheel, there are 100 other people that generate substantial bonus profits). The idea of boycotting DCC establishments is all well and good, but you'd have trouble eating in Shanghai if you maintained this policy. I usually simply pay cash or use Unionpay these days.
Is Discover susceptible to DCC? I've heard conflicting stories. I don't have a Discover card, so I've never been in a situation to use it with a UnionPay or JCB machine.

As far as giving up on the chargeback game, it's more a matter of principle. You're right that a lot of the merchants probably don't care. Your bank certainly does though because they have to go through the chargeback process each time you file a dispute. For example, a few years ago if you called a US bank and asked about them issuing a card with an EMV chip for overseas travel they wouldn't know what you were talking about and would just repeat the line, "All merchants who accept Visa/MC have to accept all cards blah blah blah..." Now they've changed their story and specifically tout chip-and-signature as cards to facilitate things when traveling overseas.

China by far seems to be the worst DCC offender. In Taiwan I've always asked, and they've been able to accommodate DCC-free transactions. I only visited HK and Macau a few years ago before I learned about DCC, but fortunately I only got hit with DCC one time. Unfortunately, it was for my bill at the Venetian Macau so it cost me $30+.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:38 am

I've heard rumors that Discover was developing its own breed of DCC, but for now Union Pay terminals do not have DCC functionality.

Regarding your point about chargebacks being annoying for my bank, you're probably right, and they are certainly far more costly than the amount of most disputes (i.e. I used to flood them with batches of 100 receipts at a time and let them figure out the differences between the DCC and spot fx rates), but it's not like BoC, HSBC, or 交行 would ever care about Charles Schwab Bank's opinion.

HK used to be far better than China (i.e. mandatory DCC was rare), but I've noticed that it is starting to spread there at an alarming rate as well, which I suppose shouldn't be too surprising because many Chinese acquirers also operate in HK.

In the China forum thread, we've posted DCC workarounds for several popular POS machines. The problem is they are continuing to "innovate" faster than us.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:14 am

Given that the poster actually had to pay his wife's *doctor*, I don't think boycotting the merchant was an option in this case. I would have just given them the card and warned about chargebacks if they used DCC.

Regarding your point about chargebacks being annoying for my bank, you're probably right, and they are certainly far more costly than the amount of most disputes (i.e. I used to flood them with batches of 100 receipts at a time and let them figure out the differences between the DCC and spot fx rates), but it's not like BoC, HSBC, or 交行 would ever care about Charles Schwab Bank's opinion.
But wouldn't Visa/Mastercard threaten to pull business from ALL of said banks/merchants if they get too many chargebacks? That's what you're really after: either make them pay higher fees, or get their ability to accept CCs pulled entirely, due to being sleazy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.