FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Post your receipt of your 1st EMV based transaction in the US (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1542111-post-your-receipt-your-1st-emv-based-transaction-us.html)

kebosabi Jan 16, 2014 2:19 am

Post your receipt of your 1st EMV based transaction in the US

In the light that the EMV transition is occuring in the US and that more EMV chip cards (PIN or Signature) are being issued in the US, one of the most often asked questions is "are there places in the US that accept EMV (yet)?"

tmiw has created a dedicated Google maps webpage to show where EMV has been proven to work here: http://emvacceptedhere.com/

Per his Post #4240 (from the main EMV thread), feel free for anyone to add any places with active EMV terminals if you come across one.

Furthermore, let's make this thread fun in which FTers (and any other fellow mileage/points junkie cardholders from other boards) can upload and post the receipt(s) of their first EMV based transaction in the US.

As a start, I will just copy-and-paste the exact same thing from Post #2705 from the main EMV thread

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As WhatWhatTech mentioned the two places nearby that has taken EMV, today marked the first EMV based (alas, Chip-and-Signature) transaction in the US for me.

Using the AndrewsFCU GlobeTrek card at the Artesia Produce Market

And the Chase Hyatt card at the Speedi Mart

And to lay to rest just in case someone could say "oh that could be any terminal in Canada,"

That's a zoomed out picture at the Speedi Mart showing California Lottery Scratchers (anyone residing in CA could verify this easily). And no, I didn't pay close to $25 just for Twinkies and cup cakes :D

Alas, as expected both AndrewsFCU and Chase Hyatt went through as Chip-and-Signature priority.

From the looks of it, both Artesia Market and Speedi Mart uses the First Data FD35 terminal as shown in the last page of the First Data brochure: https://www.firstdata.com/downloads/...e_Brochure.pdf

weave Jan 31, 2014 6:34 pm

Works at Wal-Mart in Luray, VA

Just had a successful chip transaction at Wal-Mart in Luray, Virginia -- which is a fairly large tourist area.

I have a house there so shop there often. Tried inserting my Amex Chip card at times before and it just sits there and makes me look stupid. A few days ago I swiped as usual and cashier said the card was declined, shrugged and told me "It says ICC detected"

I said "Maybe I should insert it instead of swipe. She said "No, that doesn't work. Never has. Do you have another card?" I said no, and I swiped it again. This time it worked on a swipe. She shrugged again.

So today when I went in I just inserted it while the order was being scanned. The display immediately told me (in Black text on white background) not to remove the card. I did not. When done scanning, cashier (a different one) said "Oh, it says ICC inserted. Interesting." It prompted me to sign (with card still in slot), I did, and then it again said not to remove and finally said it was OK to remove. Cashier said it was the first time she saw that work.

So..... it was just turned on and Wal-Mart hasn't informed the cashiers about it. So if someone swipes they may think they got rejected. Worse, it looks like if you retry it will let it go through, defeating a safeguard against cloning mag stripes.

I didn't scan the receipt. It doesn't have anything on it that indicates it was a chip card. :(

Next time I am in there I'll take a pic of the "don't remove card" screen and post it.

reclusive46 Jan 31, 2014 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by weave (Post 22262378)
Just had a successful chip transaction at Wal-Mart in Luray, Virginia -- which is a fairly large tourist area.

I have a house there so shop there often. Tried inserting my Amex Chip card at times before and it just sits there and makes me look stupid. A few days ago I swiped as usual and cashier said the card was declined, shrugged and told me "It says ICC detected"

I said "Maybe I should insert it instead of swipe. She said "No, that doesn't work. Never has. Do you have another card?" I said no, and I swiped it again. This time it worked on a swipe. She shrugged again.

So today when I went in I just inserted it while the order was being scanned. The display immediately told me (in Black text on white background) not to remove the card. I did not. When done scanning, cashier (a different one) said "Oh, it says ICC inserted. Interesting." It prompted me to sign (with card still in slot), I did, and then it again said not to remove and finally said it was OK to remove. Cashier said it was the first time she saw that work.

So..... it was just turned on and Wal-Mart hasn't informed the cashiers about it. So if someone swipes they may think they got rejected. Worse, it looks like if you retry it will let it go through, defeating a safeguard against cloning mag stripes.

I didn't scan the receipt. It doesn't have anything on it that indicates it was a chip card. :(

Next time I am in there I'll take a pic of the "don't remove card" screen and post it.

Does the receipt not have the AID on it?

Also I thinkregarding the second swipe working, the cashier probably pressed an OK message and then bypassed it (Turning off EMV for the transaction). Shops used to be able to do that here while EMV was rolling out for a few years.

kebosabi Jan 31, 2014 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by weave (Post 22262378)

Which gets me thinking. How on earth do you do a "hands-on" training to cashiers when cashiers, let alone supervisors or the store managers themselves, probably do not have an EMV chipped card to test it out?

They really need to make a how-to Youtube video or something to show to cashiers that "this is what you do when you come across a card with an EMV chip on it."

Japan OTOH, was smart enough to make terminals that display text as well as speak out instructions to the cashier and the cardholder.

weave Jan 31, 2014 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46 (Post 22262526)
Does the receipt not have the AID on it?

Oh, that's the key? OK, yeah, it has it. Since you posted the number on it I assume it's not something I should mask, so here it is

http://i.imgur.com/YLgLNgq.png

Edit: OK, I just read about AID! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV#Application_selection

reclusive46 Feb 1, 2014 3:56 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 22262604)
Which gets me thinking. How on earth do you do a "hands-on" training to cashiers when cashiers, let alone supervisors or the store managers themselves, probably do not have an EMV chipped card to test it out?

Most acquirers should be giving out test smart cards.

tmiw Feb 3, 2014 8:51 pm

I might have to try Wal-Mart again. I'd think it would have prevented me from swiping, but maybe they didn't lock that part down yet.

AllieKat Feb 3, 2014 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 22281377)
I might have to try Wal-Mart again. I'd think it would have prevented me from swiping, but maybe they didn't lock that part down yet.

Nah, still doesn't work at my local Walmart as of two days ago, but it's still good to see more have gone online for the first time in well over a year.

weave Feb 6, 2014 12:46 am

For what it's worth, I tried my card at a Wal-Mart in New Castle, Delaware today. Didn't work. So Wal-Mart has expanded the locations they have that take it somewhat but hasn't done it at all their stores yet.

ctbarron Feb 6, 2014 1:30 pm

I did a chip transaction for the $10 co-pay in my doctor's office today. The last place in the world I expected to see a chip-reading machine. But, it worked with my USB Flexperks card. I did not keep the receipt though!

weave Feb 16, 2014 8:21 pm

Here's a pic of a chip transaction at Luray, Virginia Wal-Mart (I posted a receipt earlier)

http://i.imgur.com/0zIu9rB.png

tmiw Feb 16, 2014 10:32 pm

The chip reader at the local Albertson's (self-checkout) looked on but I didn't notice until after I swiped my non-EMV card. Will have to try again next time with one of my EMV cards.

zolk Feb 19, 2014 3:46 pm

I just got a new Citi EMV card this week. I decided to test it at the Target store in downtown Chicago, which has EMV-capable readers. It didn't work.

The terminal detected the card when I inserted it (display changed to "Transaction in progress") but didn't do anything when the cashier was done scanning. The cashier instructed me to swipe instead and when I removed the card the terminal briefly displayed a message saying to not remove the card. Swiping the card wouldn't even work at this point, so the cashier had to swipe it at her register instead.

reclusive46 Feb 19, 2014 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by zolk (Post 22379793)
I just got a new Citi EMV card this week. I decided to test it at the Target store in downtown Chicago, which has EMV-capable readers. It didn't work.

The terminal detected the card when I inserted it (display changed to "Transaction in progress") but didn't do anything when the cashier was done scanning. The cashier instructed me to swipe instead and when I removed the card the terminal briefly displayed a message saying to not remove the card. Swiping the card wouldn't even work at this point, so the cashier had to swipe it at her register instead.

Hmm...the fact it wouldn't swipe either sounds the machine may be enabled.

You mention that the cashier was scanning when you inserted the card, this could have been the problem. EMV cards can't usually be inserted until the amount has been pushed the credit card machine (This is mainly because if you were paying contactless you wouldn't have any idea how much you were paying but the same principal generally applies on all newer EMV terminals for all EMV transactions).

weave Feb 19, 2014 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46 (Post 22380188)
You mention that the cashier was scanning when you inserted the card, this could have been the problem. EMV cards can't usually be inserted until the amount has been pushed the credit card machine (This is mainly because if you were paying contactless you wouldn't have any idea how much you were paying but the same principal generally applies on all newer EMV terminals for all EMV transactions).

For what it's worth, the successful EMV charge I had at Wal-Mart worked even though I inserted the card while the cashier was still scanning. It just sat there and told me to not remove card, then briefly flashed up "waiting for cashier" and then returned to "do not remove card." (I posted a pic of this screen earlier)