Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
<removed all expired links> (philemer)

*** Historical information follows: ***

Do not use a Preferred Application (10K Anniversay bonus) if you are not Preferred Elite. The reconsideration csr said as of December 11, 2014 the Preferred numbers are programmed in their computer and non-Preferred are immediately kicked out with no credit check. You cannot apply for any Barclays card for 30 days after rejection.

from the rejection letter I received:
The Dividend Miles number you provided on the application does not currently reflect a Preferred Status within the Dividend Miles program, and unfortunately this offer is only available to Dividend Miles members with Preferred Status. A credit report was not used in making this determination.

Note: If you are an existing cardholder of the older version of this card with a perpetual anniversary bonus, please ask account questions here:
[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Check Application Status

Current offers:
There is a new (as of Dec. 4, 2014) public offer for 50,000 bonus miles after the first purchase, $89 annual fee is not waived:
http://www.worldgotbigger.com/us-airways-credit-card/

There is also an offer for 50k now and 10k at first anniversary, for preferred members only, reported by jrobinson5 in Post 935 - but see that post for the link and that user's difficulties with it.

Older offers that may still work:

50k Offers - There are individually targeted offers circulating for a 50k signup bonus. No one has yet identified a way to apply without actually receiving a personalized code from Barclays in advance.

40k miles after first purchase; $89 annual fee NOT waived [This is the standard public offer]

40k miles after first purchase plus 10k miles at first (and only first) anniversary; $89 annual fee NOT waived [Note: For"Preferred Members Only"; for similar offers, this has been sporadically enforced - see the anniversary miles thread below for historical data]

Alternately, there is a long-running 35,000 mile offer with first year fee waived and 10,000 miles every anniversary:

Fee waived, no spend, US Airways Card, 35K (WIKI) Now dead - However, see that thread for 30k + 10k anniversary offer

(All offers with perpetual anniversary bonus are no longer available)

FAQ's
What will happen to this card when American and US Airways mileage plans are merged ?
The best information we has says that when that happens, Barclays will no longer be able to issue new cards, but your existing card will continue to be serviced by Barclays and become an American Airlines "red" credit card with benefits similar to the Citi AA Platinum card now issued (http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...erican-merger/)

Can I churn this card?
Yes

When can I apply for my 2nd/3rd/etc cards?
The general consensus is that you wait 6 months between applications with calling for recon significantly reducing your chances (better to get instant approval). YMMV. Note that in late 2014 there were several successful reports of people applying sooner than 6 months.

Do I have to close already existing accounts before applications for subsequent cards?
No but as always, YMMV

What's the reconsideration line number?
1-866-408-4064. Only open M-F, 8am-5pm Eastern time.
1-866-951-1437, After-hours (24/7)

When do the bonus miles post?
The annual fee will usually be charged in the first billing cycle. So assuming you made another purchase of at least $0.01 during the first billing cycle, the bonus miles will be credited to your account on the second billing cycle. If the AF doesn't post until the 2nd cycle, and you wait til the stmt. appears, your miles will not post until the 3rd cycle.

Key things to note with these new cards:
1. The previous cards waived the first year's annual fee and offered 10k for holding the card another year whereby the annual fee was charged. FTers, however, reported that Barclays did not clawback the 10k bonus after cancelling the card shortly after the AF posted.

2. The new cards' T&Cs this time explicitly state that the bonus will post upon payment of the AF (which is not waived) given that the fee isn't rescinded.

-Does this mean they will clawback the points?
Not enough data to confirm this

-If they don't plan to clawback the miles, how do they enforce the new terms?
They could, in theory, award the bonus after the period in which you could request a refund of the AF expires

Can I make a purchase and pre-pay the $89 AF prior to the first statement posting and receive the bonus miles?
Maybe. As of now, there are at least three data points stating this has been done successfully. Make a purchase of $0.01 $1 or more then use bill pay to make the payment and include the $89 AF (e.g. - a $1 purchase requires a $90 payment). If done correctly, the bonus miles (and the spend miles) will post on your first statement and to US Airways one day after the statement closes.

However, there are at least 2 reports (see #400) of having done the above and the AF did not bill in the first cycle (hence no posting of sign up bonus in that cycle). See the post for a possible explanation.

PLEASE POST if you applied again (FEB-APRIL, 2015), and after approval, ACTUALLY GOT the eligible bonus second time around after your approval and one time spend. That's really what peeps want to know.
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:18 am

Waiting 6 months between applications... is that for Barclays or for the US Air card? I'm considering jumping in on this. Opened a US Air card almost a year ago, but opened an Arrival+ card in May. I know it's been 6 months, but obviously the more time that's passed, the better. It'd be great if I could get another one of these opened because the AF is about to post for the second one, and although I'd have to pay it for this one, it'd be nice to get 50,000 miles with the payment haha.

EDIT: Also, just read that some people are concerned we wouldn't get bonuses because of some new language in the T&Cs.... do we have a date approximation as to when people's bonuses *should* be posting?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:29 am

In the past, the bonus appears after the annual fee is paid. So if the new T&C are relevant, we don't know the bonus is denied until after the fee has been paid. Cancelled my card in May, trying to decide assess the risks in applying again now.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
Originally Posted by ninim2200
you can wait a day and see if you get approved, we had the same thing happen in our family and we got approved within 12 hours without calling. you can check the status online every few hours.
Well, I've waited, and still pending.

Should I call? How should I go about this...? As I said, I've never been good at these phone calls
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
If I apply for the 50k bonus, will I still get the companion certificate? Some people say it does not work starting the first, is this true? I would like to use it next year in the fall, booking sometime in the next 2 months.

I am an idiot, further research from the Barclay Website says that it must be purchased by September 30th,2015 for travel by the end of the year.

Last edited by AJCU; Dec 7, 2014 at 8:03 am Reason: Found Answer
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by AJCU
If I apply for the 50k bonus, will I still get the companion certificate? Some people say it does not work starting the first, is this true? I would like to use it next year in the fall, booking sometime in the next 2 months.

I am an idiot, further research from the Barclay Website says that it must be purchased by September 30th,2015 for travel by the end of the year.
My wife and I just got the new certs this week and plan on using all 4 $99 companion fares.

Both $99 companion certs say purchase by 8/31/15 and fly by 11/30/15.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:53 pm

So are people mostly keeping this card or closing it to avoid the $89 month fee?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Data Points: application, 50K match, and posting of 40K

data point #:

1. Applied for the card when bonus was 40K 2 weeks ago, non-preferred; Immediate non-approval; several hours later approval email came without my intervention. It was a 2BM and the 2nd card was also not instant but a few hours later approved.

2. Once card arrived I called to ask for billing date to be moved fwd to T+3days (about 14 days early) so that I would have time to pay the AF and make a $1 purchase, and so that the statement cycle would end early. Success here, statement posted with AF already on there, and 40K posted

3. After I read about the 50K offer, I called and CSA was placed me on hold a while then was told extra 10K approved

Side note: point #3 came between the time the card arrived and the time I changed the billing cycle (midway through point #2), so I might have expected a 50K bonus to post. Now I need to watch my acct to see if the extra 10K posts.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 6:10 pm
In memoriam

I got the US Airways/Barclay card in Feb. 2013 and closed it in Feb 2014 after getting the initial bonus and then 15K more when they sent me another bonus offer a couple of months after I stopped using the card.

Applied for the 50K new offer last night and was immediately approved. ^

I suspect (but, of course, cannot be sure) that the bonus will post with no problems.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by EtoileFilante
Well, I've waited, and still pending.

Should I call? How should I go about this...? As I said, I've never been good at these phone calls
Well, I applied Thursday December 4 at night. Was not instantly approved and just waited. Today I was approved with a small CL of $2,500 USD without ever calling Barclaycards. I received an email congratulating me, so I logged in to barclaycard us and found out the CL I received.

So, they seem to be quick at processing not instantly approved applications.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weezl
data point #:

1. Applied for the card when bonus was 40K 2 weeks ago, non-preferred; Immediate non-approval; several hours later approval email came without my intervention. It was a 2BM and the 2nd card was also not instant but a few hours later approved.

2. Once card arrived I called to ask for billing date to be moved fwd to T+3days (about 14 days early) so that I would have time to pay the AF and make a $1 purchase, and so that the statement cycle would end early. Success here, statement posted with AF already on there, and 40K posted

3. After I read about the 50K offer, I called and CSA was placed me on hold a while then was told extra 10K approved

Side note: point #3 came between the time the card arrived and the time I changed the billing cycle (midway through point #2), so I might have expected a 50K bonus to post. Now I need to watch my acct to see if the extra 10K posts.
This is the first time I read about a success on non-instant approval, AND a 2BM success too!

Congrats and thanks for posting.

Did you have any other Barclays card(s) before you did the 2BM?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
This is the first time I read about a success on non-instant approval, AND a 2BM success too!

Congrats and thanks for posting.

Did you have any other Barclays card(s) before you did the 2BM?
No, never any relationship with Barclay, and perhaps that is a significant distinguishing feature of the way my apps were "treated". Anyway, it worked!

NB, Carlitos above seems to have had non-instant success also, I am not sure it is that rare, I've seen others on blogs state the same.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, United, AAdvantage
No, never any relationship with Barclay, and perhaps that is a significant distinguishing feature of the way my apps were "treated". Anyway, it worked!

NB, Carlitos above seems to have had non-instant success also, I am not sure it is that rare, I've seen others on blogs state the same.
So you got one credit enquiry for these 2 apps?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by animesh42001
So you got one credit enquiry for these 2 apps?
Yes, just one credit pull.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
Originally Posted by carlitos
Well, I applied Thursday December 4 at night. Was not instantly approved and just waited. Today I was approved with a small CL of $2,500 USD without ever calling Barclaycards. I received an email congratulating me, so I logged in to barclaycard us and found out the CL I received.

So, they seem to be quick at processing not instantly approved applications.
Interesting. I guess I'll give them till Tuesday, and then call.

What angle should I use when trying to convince them to give me this card? LOL
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Up until recently it was rare to get approval if either 1) not preferred member, or 2) have existing or even canceled US card.

Only starting this very week we start seeing non-instant approvals. at least that is how data points are on this thread's history.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.