Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
<removed all expired links> (philemer)

*** Historical information follows: ***

Do not use a Preferred Application (10K Anniversay bonus) if you are not Preferred Elite. The reconsideration csr said as of December 11, 2014 the Preferred numbers are programmed in their computer and non-Preferred are immediately kicked out with no credit check. You cannot apply for any Barclays card for 30 days after rejection.

from the rejection letter I received:
The Dividend Miles number you provided on the application does not currently reflect a Preferred Status within the Dividend Miles program, and unfortunately this offer is only available to Dividend Miles members with Preferred Status. A credit report was not used in making this determination.

Note: If you are an existing cardholder of the older version of this card with a perpetual anniversary bonus, please ask account questions here:
[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Check Application Status

Current offers:
There is a new (as of Dec. 4, 2014) public offer for 50,000 bonus miles after the first purchase, $89 annual fee is not waived:
http://www.worldgotbigger.com/us-airways-credit-card/

There is also an offer for 50k now and 10k at first anniversary, for preferred members only, reported by jrobinson5 in Post 935 - but see that post for the link and that user's difficulties with it.

Older offers that may still work:

50k Offers - There are individually targeted offers circulating for a 50k signup bonus. No one has yet identified a way to apply without actually receiving a personalized code from Barclays in advance.

40k miles after first purchase; $89 annual fee NOT waived [This is the standard public offer]

40k miles after first purchase plus 10k miles at first (and only first) anniversary; $89 annual fee NOT waived [Note: For"Preferred Members Only"; for similar offers, this has been sporadically enforced - see the anniversary miles thread below for historical data]

Alternately, there is a long-running 35,000 mile offer with first year fee waived and 10,000 miles every anniversary:

Fee waived, no spend, US Airways Card, 35K (WIKI) Now dead - However, see that thread for 30k + 10k anniversary offer

(All offers with perpetual anniversary bonus are no longer available)

FAQ's
What will happen to this card when American and US Airways mileage plans are merged ?
The best information we has says that when that happens, Barclays will no longer be able to issue new cards, but your existing card will continue to be serviced by Barclays and become an American Airlines "red" credit card with benefits similar to the Citi AA Platinum card now issued (http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...erican-merger/)

Can I churn this card?
Yes

When can I apply for my 2nd/3rd/etc cards?
The general consensus is that you wait 6 months between applications with calling for recon significantly reducing your chances (better to get instant approval). YMMV. Note that in late 2014 there were several successful reports of people applying sooner than 6 months.

Do I have to close already existing accounts before applications for subsequent cards?
No but as always, YMMV

What's the reconsideration line number?
1-866-408-4064. Only open M-F, 8am-5pm Eastern time.
1-866-951-1437, After-hours (24/7)

When do the bonus miles post?
The annual fee will usually be charged in the first billing cycle. So assuming you made another purchase of at least $0.01 during the first billing cycle, the bonus miles will be credited to your account on the second billing cycle. If the AF doesn't post until the 2nd cycle, and you wait til the stmt. appears, your miles will not post until the 3rd cycle.

Key things to note with these new cards:
1. The previous cards waived the first year's annual fee and offered 10k for holding the card another year whereby the annual fee was charged. FTers, however, reported that Barclays did not clawback the 10k bonus after cancelling the card shortly after the AF posted.

2. The new cards' T&Cs this time explicitly state that the bonus will post upon payment of the AF (which is not waived) given that the fee isn't rescinded.

-Does this mean they will clawback the points?
Not enough data to confirm this

-If they don't plan to clawback the miles, how do they enforce the new terms?
They could, in theory, award the bonus after the period in which you could request a refund of the AF expires

Can I make a purchase and pre-pay the $89 AF prior to the first statement posting and receive the bonus miles?
Maybe. As of now, there are at least three data points stating this has been done successfully. Make a purchase of $0.01 $1 or more then use bill pay to make the payment and include the $89 AF (e.g. - a $1 purchase requires a $90 payment). If done correctly, the bonus miles (and the spend miles) will post on your first statement and to US Airways one day after the statement closes.

However, there are at least 2 reports (see #400) of having done the above and the AF did not bill in the first cycle (hence no posting of sign up bonus in that cycle). See the post for a possible explanation.

PLEASE POST if you applied again (FEB-APRIL, 2015), and after approval, ACTUALLY GOT the eligible bonus second time around after your approval and one time spend. That's really what peeps want to know.
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Maybe forever, since you still have your first US card. "Suffiicent credit is available" is Barclays shorthand for "you already have one of these US cards, you don't really need another one".

And that's why your brother was approved and you were denied. Because if you don't get "instant approval", and thus a human has to look at it, they will deny you if you have an existing US card or even if you very recently had the US card.

It's a question of how many months you have to wait after canceling the first card before you can maybe get a second card (if there still is a US Air card you can apply for by then!).

So you need to decide: Do you really need to keep the first card? If so, unless you can later "by magic" get an "instant approval", you seem to be out of luck for getting a second card. If you don't, you have to hope that if it takes 6+ months (I was turned down at about 3 months after cancelling), that the US Air card will still be available to new applicants by then.

(No one knows what the secret is to getting "instant approval", ie, having only the computer but no human involved in the decision. Only the computer forgets to look at whether you already have or recently had another US card; humans never forget to look, and once they see that, they deny you.)
Thing is, the brother was not instantly approved (pending) so someone looked at his acct but since it was his 1st, they manually approved it days later. Having an open Arrival card didnt seem to work against his brother as some had been denied if they didnt see enough use on the Arrival card.- remember once a human looks at the apps then anything can happen as it depends on the reps mood at the time.

6+ months seems to be the magic number for a "better chance" but still not guarantee for another card. I did mine at 9 mths and had no problems getting another.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by thiseye
Unfortunately, the same thing happened to me. I received the card a few days ago and activated it today. A few hours later, I checked my mail and saw the 50k offer. I sent them a secure message with any information from the letter that may be unique to prove that I received it, but they responded: "We are unable to change the sign up bonus that you were approved for. This is do to Federal regulations stating that we can not change the terms of our customers accounts within the first 12 months of the account opening."

I was more than a bit surprised at this response. I may try again over the phone if anyone shows a data point where they've successfully gotten them to match the offer.
Just to update this. I traded a few secure messages before being told to call. I called, explained I didn't want to go through the hassle of canceling my current card to reapply for the 50k offer. She put me on hold for a second, came back, asked for the id code and said I'd get the additional 10K in a statement or two.

I tried to push for getting a spend bonus (on restaurants or something) stating I wanted to get rid of my CSP. She said they run random targeted offers of say $750/month for 3 months for 15k points. Anyone had any luck trying to get one of these?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Maybe forever, since you still have your first US card. "Suffiicent credit is available" is Barclays shorthand for "you already have one of these US cards, you don't really need another one".
I recently applied for the US Business card and I have never had it before. Got the same response.

BTW is anyone experiencing delays in miles posting? Wife got approved for the 40K and spent $5 on 9/9 and statement closed on 9/15. The statement shows that 5 miles will be posted along with 500 for applying on the plane (not true), got 505 but no 40K.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I recently applied for the US Business card and I have never had it before. Got the same response.

BTW is anyone experiencing delays in miles posting? Wife got approved for the 40K and spent $5 on 9/9 and statement closed on 9/15. The statement shows that 5 miles will be posted along with 500 for applying on the plane (not true), got 505 but no 40K.
Thats weird. When looking at my points it shows 40,507 points are waiting to post. I understand the 40,000 and the 7, but not sure where the extra 500 came from.

I used the 2nd link in the wiki to apply.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
It's a question of how many months you have to wait after canceling the first card before you can maybe get a second card (if there still is a US Air card you can apply for by then!).

So you need to decide: Do you really need to keep the first card? If so, unless you can later "by magic" get an "instant approval", you seem to be out of luck for getting a second card. If you don't, you have to hope that if it takes 6+ months (I was turned down at about 3 months after cancelling), that the US Air card will still be available to new applicants by then.

(No one knows what the secret is to getting "instant approval", ie, having only the computer but no human involved in the decision. Only the computer forgets to look at whether you already have or recently had another US card; humans never forget to look, and once they see that, they deny you.)
As I made a datapoint earlier.. less than a month

8/13 - Auto Approved
5/14 - Auto Approved
8/14 - Cancelled #1
9/14 - Auto Approved

There is no guaranteed method, but having no inquiries/new accounts in the past 3+ months plus lowering your current credit lines seems to do the trick. 5 of us have gotten 3 US Air cards in a 12-15 month span.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frudd38
As I made a datapoint earlier.. less than a month

8/13 - Auto Approved
5/14 - Auto Approved
8/14 - Cancelled #1
9/14 - Auto Approved

There is no guaranteed method, but having no inquiries/new accounts in the past 3+ months plus lowering your current credit lines seems to do the trick. 5 of us have gotten 3 US Air cards in a 12-15 month span.
Do you mean lowering your current credit lines on any Barclays cards you have (if so, what's the procedure) or at other banks?

Any problems with closing accounts? When I did my (unsuccesful) human recon call a few months ago, they mentioned my closing of accounts recently (showing on my credit report) as much as they mentioned opening of new accounts! (They typically only pull TU, so they can't see inquiries that only went to EXP or EQ but they do of course see accounts that are "new" that were reported to all 3 bureaus, though there is a lag with those compared to inquiries.)
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Did I do it wrong? I spent $0.50 on 9/9, prepaid $89.50 via BB on 9/10, statement closed 9/23 but AF not billed at all (and thus sign up bonus did not post).

Last edited by italdesign; Sep 24, 2014 at 7:13 pm
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Do you mean lowering your current credit lines on any Barclays cards you have (if so, what's the procedure) or at other banks?

Any problems with closing accounts? When I did my (unsuccesful) human recon call a few months ago, they mentioned my closing of accounts recently (showing on my credit report) as much as they mentioned opening of new accounts! (They typically only pull TU, so they can't see inquiries that only went to EXP or EQ but they do of course see accounts that are "new" that were reported to all 3 bureaus, though there is a lag with those compared to inquiries.)
Yes, with Barclay (or bank you're going to apply for). Lower via secure message. Same concept with other banks. Auto approval is not going to happen when you already have $100k+ credit or whatever with them.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frudd38
Yes, with Barclay (or bank you're going to apply for). Lower via secure message. Same concept with other banks. Auto approval is not going to happen when you already have $100k+ credit or whatever with them.
Well, I have $15k CL total with them on 3 (hotel) cards, and they gave me $5k CL on each of the two last cards (US cancelled 6 months ago, the other one still kept and still using). I never put more than $1000 on them in a given month, usually way less than that even (all 3 cards are for "budget" hotel programs), so I'm thinking I could lower to $3500 or $4000 each and not hurt utilization. But is it worth it at that level?

Some other banks (Citi, BofA, US Bank) have been giving me 5-digit CLs per card at least some of the time, but not Barclays.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
Did I do it wrong? I spent $0.50 on 9/9, prepaid $89.50 via BB on 9/10, statement closed 9/23 but AF not billed at all (and thus sign up bonus did not post).
The same thing happened to me. The annual fee didn't show up on the first statement. So I talked to a customer service rep who explained that they bill annual fees at specific times of the month. If one's bill closes before that time, then the annual fee doesn't post until the second statement.

For me the annual fee was on the second statement. The bonus miles posted after that. So you should be fine.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Thanks. Wiki updated.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Anybody know if I have one of the older Barclay US CC, will I get my anniversary 10k bonus?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA
Wife just got the 15000 bonus mile offer for $500 spend in oct, nov, and dec. But this card will have the first annual fee due in oct. In the past the 15000 bonus spend was more midway during the first year. Sounds like a new method to get more to pay annual fee. Being a year old, I think it has the 10000 miles at anniversary associated with it.
tim
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by hiima
Anybody know if I have one of the older Barclay US CC, will I get my anniversary 10k bonus?
I was wondering the same thing. Last year, my anniversary bonus posted on October 11th, so I should have an answer soon-ish.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:19 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hiima
Originally Posted by aarif1
I was wondering the same thing. Last year, my anniversary bonus posted on October 11th, so I should have an answer soon-ish.
I added a link to the wiki for the thread on the older version of this card with the perpetual anniversary bonus.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...niversary.html

There are recent experiences reported there - please contribute to that discussion as your renewal approaches, rather than this thread, so the information stays in one place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.