Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
<removed all expired links> (philemer)

*** Historical information follows: ***

Do not use a Preferred Application (10K Anniversay bonus) if you are not Preferred Elite. The reconsideration csr said as of December 11, 2014 the Preferred numbers are programmed in their computer and non-Preferred are immediately kicked out with no credit check. You cannot apply for any Barclays card for 30 days after rejection.

from the rejection letter I received:
The Dividend Miles number you provided on the application does not currently reflect a Preferred Status within the Dividend Miles program, and unfortunately this offer is only available to Dividend Miles members with Preferred Status. A credit report was not used in making this determination.

Note: If you are an existing cardholder of the older version of this card with a perpetual anniversary bonus, please ask account questions here:
[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Check Application Status

Current offers:
There is a new (as of Dec. 4, 2014) public offer for 50,000 bonus miles after the first purchase, $89 annual fee is not waived:
http://www.worldgotbigger.com/us-airways-credit-card/

There is also an offer for 50k now and 10k at first anniversary, for preferred members only, reported by jrobinson5 in Post 935 - but see that post for the link and that user's difficulties with it.

Older offers that may still work:

50k Offers - There are individually targeted offers circulating for a 50k signup bonus. No one has yet identified a way to apply without actually receiving a personalized code from Barclays in advance.

40k miles after first purchase; $89 annual fee NOT waived [This is the standard public offer]

40k miles after first purchase plus 10k miles at first (and only first) anniversary; $89 annual fee NOT waived [Note: For"Preferred Members Only"; for similar offers, this has been sporadically enforced - see the anniversary miles thread below for historical data]

Alternately, there is a long-running 35,000 mile offer with first year fee waived and 10,000 miles every anniversary:

Fee waived, no spend, US Airways Card, 35K (WIKI) Now dead - However, see that thread for 30k + 10k anniversary offer

(All offers with perpetual anniversary bonus are no longer available)

FAQ's
What will happen to this card when American and US Airways mileage plans are merged ?
The best information we has says that when that happens, Barclays will no longer be able to issue new cards, but your existing card will continue to be serviced by Barclays and become an American Airlines "red" credit card with benefits similar to the Citi AA Platinum card now issued (http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...erican-merger/)

Can I churn this card?
Yes

When can I apply for my 2nd/3rd/etc cards?
The general consensus is that you wait 6 months between applications with calling for recon significantly reducing your chances (better to get instant approval). YMMV. Note that in late 2014 there were several successful reports of people applying sooner than 6 months.

Do I have to close already existing accounts before applications for subsequent cards?
No but as always, YMMV

What's the reconsideration line number?
1-866-408-4064. Only open M-F, 8am-5pm Eastern time.
1-866-951-1437, After-hours (24/7)

When do the bonus miles post?
The annual fee will usually be charged in the first billing cycle. So assuming you made another purchase of at least $0.01 during the first billing cycle, the bonus miles will be credited to your account on the second billing cycle. If the AF doesn't post until the 2nd cycle, and you wait til the stmt. appears, your miles will not post until the 3rd cycle.

Key things to note with these new cards:
1. The previous cards waived the first year's annual fee and offered 10k for holding the card another year whereby the annual fee was charged. FTers, however, reported that Barclays did not clawback the 10k bonus after cancelling the card shortly after the AF posted.

2. The new cards' T&Cs this time explicitly state that the bonus will post upon payment of the AF (which is not waived) given that the fee isn't rescinded.

-Does this mean they will clawback the points?
Not enough data to confirm this

-If they don't plan to clawback the miles, how do they enforce the new terms?
They could, in theory, award the bonus after the period in which you could request a refund of the AF expires

Can I make a purchase and pre-pay the $89 AF prior to the first statement posting and receive the bonus miles?
Maybe. As of now, there are at least three data points stating this has been done successfully. Make a purchase of $0.01 $1 or more then use bill pay to make the payment and include the $89 AF (e.g. - a $1 purchase requires a $90 payment). If done correctly, the bonus miles (and the spend miles) will post on your first statement and to US Airways one day after the statement closes.

However, there are at least 2 reports (see #400) of having done the above and the AF did not bill in the first cycle (hence no posting of sign up bonus in that cycle). See the post for a possible explanation.

PLEASE POST if you applied again (FEB-APRIL, 2015), and after approval, ACTUALLY GOT the eligible bonus second time around after your approval and one time spend. That's really what peeps want to know.
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:03 pm

Just a data point - Got pended, will call recon tomorrow. Have the NFL card and recently closed barclays arrival card. Have had no activity on the NFL card for a long time. This was my third application in a mini AOR (first yesterday was amex for 50k points, then chase swa for 50k points) and now this.

UPDATE: Called recon, approved $10k loc. In retrospect, should have applied for barclays first before the other cards this round of apps.

Last edited by ymarker; Jan 26, 2015 at 8:13 am
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just a data point on getting the higher offer, I applied a few months ago under the old 40k bonus points offer. Called today and asked them to match to the 50k offer. They said they couldn't do that and gave me 2,500 points instead. Took it as it was better than nothing.

Also do we know when is the last possible time to apply for this card? I only got my US Airways card in Oct/Nov and would like to try for a 2nd but worry that it would be too soon now and would be instantly denied.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Jan 25, 2015 at 3:14 pm
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superorb
I forgot that Barclays rounds up/down so anything $0.50 or higher should round up and generate the point/spend. I haven't seen any packs of gum for a quarter in some time now, so I just assumed it wouldn't be a problem. Can always buy a burger or other cheap fast food item on the way to/from work.
I don't understand why people feel the need to go out of their way to abuse stuff like this. And then you wonder why you get turned down when you try to apply for a 2nd card or a different product.

Why not just carry it in your wallet for a little while and give them a few purchases? Does it really cost you anything to spend a couple of hundred dollars on the card?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelbug2225
This is the first time I applied for credit card and get denied. My Equifax score is 837 and Transunion score is 790 which Barclays provided in a denied letter.

I have a high credit usage because I use some of my personal card for my business. I spent around $60K each month but I paid off every month and never late. I have several credit card but I put most of my spending on SPG and Chase Ink and Sapphire (personal).

Can I call to get a reconsideration after I got denied letter? Will I get denied if I apply for Citi or Chase next month? I was planning to apply for 3 credit cards this month but applied for Barclays first but when I did not get instant approve, so I did not continued to apply for the other credit card that I plan.
Was the stated reason for the denial the high credit usage?

If your credit score is that high it shouldn't really be a problem but you can always reduce the utilization percentage by paying off the cards early (before the balance is reported)

Also, calling recon can't hurt. Just explain your situation and point out that you have never once had a late payment, so you are not over-extending.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't understand why people feel the need to go out of their way to abuse stuff like this. And then you wonder why you get turned down when you try to apply for a 2nd card or a different product.

Why not just carry it in your wallet for a little while and give them a few purchases? Does it really cost you anything to spend a couple of hundred dollars on the card?
I put all my regular spending on at least 1 card from each bank, so they're getting their swipe fees one way or another. But, there is an opportunity cost here to be aware of.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by neony77
Data point - instant approval for a second card. First one is still open and got that in July 2014.
Did you use your first card a lot?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:33 am
Suspended

Applied for second card while the first one was open, got a denied letter something along the lines " sufficient credit is available on Barcalys cards". I reduced my existing US airways card limit from $15K to $5k a day before applying. I called after getting the denial letter and before I make my case why i would need a second card, was shot down due to having existing US airways card. Is it something new?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, IHG, HH
Data points:

Wife: cancelled USAirways CC on 12/27/14 via secure message; applied 30 days later on 1/22. Instant approval.

Me: applied in October (10/19/14). Rejected for already having a USAirways card. Cancelled 1/7/15; applied 19 days later (1/26). Not instantly approved. Checked online and found it was denied. Called recon and was told that the app was automatically rejected (without a pull) because of the October rejection (she said something about it being automatic if within 90 days, but it has technically been 99 days since the previous app). Anyway, I authorized the pull and was then approved.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by travelbug2225
This is the first time I applied for credit card and get denied. My Equifax score is 837 and Transunion score is 790 which Barclays provided in a denied letter.

I have a high credit usage because I use some of my personal card for my business. I spent around $60K each month but I paid off every month and never late. I have several credit card but I put most of my spending on SPG and Chase Ink and Sapphire (personal).

Can I call to get a reconsideration after I got denied letter? Will I get denied if I apply for Citi or Chase next month? I was planning to apply for 3 credit cards this month but applied for Barclays first but when I did not get instant approve, so I did not continued to apply for the other credit card that I plan.
This is not a reply to your specifics even though I am referencing your quote.

Seems to me if one pays off balances perfectly every month, there is a caveat somewhere.

There are cards that have the CU reports NOT after each cycle but rather at the beginning of the month. Supposedly that's DS and US Bank.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How long does it take points to post?

I understand that the sign-up bonus pts don't post until after you pay the annual fee. I was in no rush to get the pts to post (I'm not going to use them until the balances merge with AA) so I didn not pre-pay the annual fee before my statement closed.

However, my first statement closed on 1/12 and I have still not received the miles from the regular purchases. Is this normal? Do they wait until you pay to post the miles? (I have a payment en route). Most banks give you the points/miles as soon as the statement closes. I have never had a card from Barclay before so I don't know if they do things differently or not...
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
Did you use your first card a lot?
I wouldn't say a lot. I got it back in July'14 before a trip.. used a little bit then and recently got an offer to spend $750 for three months for 15K bonus miles so was doing one swipe on this card to meet that requirement on Redbird .. other than that not much additional use ..

Since mine, wife got approved instantly as well .. it was her first card though..

Last edited by neony77; Jan 26, 2015 at 6:07 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by nadir576
Applied for second card while the first one was open, got a denied letter something along the lines " sufficient credit is available on Barcalys cards". I reduced my existing US airways card limit from $15K to $5k a day before applying. I called after getting the denial letter and before I make my case why i would need a second card, was shot down due to having existing US airways card. Is it something new?
I got a similar response within the last month
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by gpts12
Data points:

Wife: cancelled USAirways CC on 12/27/14 via secure message; applied 30 days later on 1/22. Instant approval.

Me: applied in October (10/19/14). Rejected for already having a USAirways card. Cancelled 1/7/15; applied 19 days later (1/26). Not instantly approved. Checked online and found it was denied. Called recon and was told that the app was automatically rejected (without a pull) because of the October rejection (she said something about it being automatic if within 90 days, but it has technically been 99 days since the previous app). Anyway, I authorized the pull and was then approved.
I'm gonna cancel my card and try to apply in a couple weeks, will post results here. Got first USAir card in late Oct14 and only put a few hundred dollars worth of spend on it. I use my A+ card a lot.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:38 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I just got off the phone with Barclays to try and get the 50k offer applied retroactively to my existing card (which got the 40k offer)... because why not?

No dice on that, however, they did offer a 10k mile bonus for $1k spend in 90 days. I can do that easily. So when I get back home, this card goes back in my wallet... behind another card, because it's ugly.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: Braniff, TWA, Eastern, Midwest, AA Exec, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by jan_believes
Seems to me if one pays off balances perfectly every month, there is a caveat somewhere.

There are cards that have the CU reports NOT after each cycle but rather at the beginning of the month. Supposedly that's DS and US Bank.
Well, paying those cards before the first of the month is then part of doing it "perfectly every month". I don't know about DS, but US Bank very definitely does this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.