Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
<removed all expired links> (philemer)

*** Historical information follows: ***

Do not use a Preferred Application (10K Anniversay bonus) if you are not Preferred Elite. The reconsideration csr said as of December 11, 2014 the Preferred numbers are programmed in their computer and non-Preferred are immediately kicked out with no credit check. You cannot apply for any Barclays card for 30 days after rejection.

from the rejection letter I received:
The Dividend Miles number you provided on the application does not currently reflect a Preferred Status within the Dividend Miles program, and unfortunately this offer is only available to Dividend Miles members with Preferred Status. A credit report was not used in making this determination.

Note: If you are an existing cardholder of the older version of this card with a perpetual anniversary bonus, please ask account questions here:
[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Check Application Status

Current offers:
There is a new (as of Dec. 4, 2014) public offer for 50,000 bonus miles after the first purchase, $89 annual fee is not waived:
http://www.worldgotbigger.com/us-airways-credit-card/

There is also an offer for 50k now and 10k at first anniversary, for preferred members only, reported by jrobinson5 in Post 935 - but see that post for the link and that user's difficulties with it.

Older offers that may still work:

50k Offers - There are individually targeted offers circulating for a 50k signup bonus. No one has yet identified a way to apply without actually receiving a personalized code from Barclays in advance.

40k miles after first purchase; $89 annual fee NOT waived [This is the standard public offer]

40k miles after first purchase plus 10k miles at first (and only first) anniversary; $89 annual fee NOT waived [Note: For"Preferred Members Only"; for similar offers, this has been sporadically enforced - see the anniversary miles thread below for historical data]

Alternately, there is a long-running 35,000 mile offer with first year fee waived and 10,000 miles every anniversary:

Fee waived, no spend, US Airways Card, 35K (WIKI) Now dead - However, see that thread for 30k + 10k anniversary offer

(All offers with perpetual anniversary bonus are no longer available)

FAQ's
What will happen to this card when American and US Airways mileage plans are merged ?
The best information we has says that when that happens, Barclays will no longer be able to issue new cards, but your existing card will continue to be serviced by Barclays and become an American Airlines "red" credit card with benefits similar to the Citi AA Platinum card now issued (http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...erican-merger/)

Can I churn this card?
Yes

When can I apply for my 2nd/3rd/etc cards?
The general consensus is that you wait 6 months between applications with calling for recon significantly reducing your chances (better to get instant approval). YMMV. Note that in late 2014 there were several successful reports of people applying sooner than 6 months.

Do I have to close already existing accounts before applications for subsequent cards?
No but as always, YMMV

What's the reconsideration line number?
1-866-408-4064. Only open M-F, 8am-5pm Eastern time.
1-866-951-1437, After-hours (24/7)

When do the bonus miles post?
The annual fee will usually be charged in the first billing cycle. So assuming you made another purchase of at least $0.01 during the first billing cycle, the bonus miles will be credited to your account on the second billing cycle. If the AF doesn't post until the 2nd cycle, and you wait til the stmt. appears, your miles will not post until the 3rd cycle.

Key things to note with these new cards:
1. The previous cards waived the first year's annual fee and offered 10k for holding the card another year whereby the annual fee was charged. FTers, however, reported that Barclays did not clawback the 10k bonus after cancelling the card shortly after the AF posted.

2. The new cards' T&Cs this time explicitly state that the bonus will post upon payment of the AF (which is not waived) given that the fee isn't rescinded.

-Does this mean they will clawback the points?
Not enough data to confirm this

-If they don't plan to clawback the miles, how do they enforce the new terms?
They could, in theory, award the bonus after the period in which you could request a refund of the AF expires

Can I make a purchase and pre-pay the $89 AF prior to the first statement posting and receive the bonus miles?
Maybe. As of now, there are at least three data points stating this has been done successfully. Make a purchase of $0.01 $1 or more then use bill pay to make the payment and include the $89 AF (e.g. - a $1 purchase requires a $90 payment). If done correctly, the bonus miles (and the spend miles) will post on your first statement and to US Airways one day after the statement closes.

However, there are at least 2 reports (see #400) of having done the above and the AF did not bill in the first cycle (hence no posting of sign up bonus in that cycle). See the post for a possible explanation.

PLEASE POST if you applied again (FEB-APRIL, 2015), and after approval, ACTUALLY GOT the eligible bonus second time around after your approval and one time spend. That's really what peeps want to know.
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 10:52 am

Apped yesterday for the 40k offer. Approved for $5k! I'm not an elite status member.
Old May 3, 2014, 9:53 pm

I got a USAir card last May(2013) and I'm planning on canceling after I get the bonus pts this year. Should I apply for a second one before or after I cancel the card?

Btw, I applied and was approved for barclay arrival on 4/4 - will this affect my 2nd us air app in may/june?
Old May 3, 2014, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by vtqanh
The miles will appear after the statement that shows you paid the annual fee, which means it won't post until after the statement of May 24th. Since you technically already paid the AF, you can send them an SM and see if they will post it early.
Just for fun I sent a SM to see if they would accelerate the points and they said "sorry". :-)
Old May 7, 2014, 4:45 pm

Extra data for people: Got card and found out first statement would close 1 week later. Charged 1 purchase and annual fee posted before statement close. Paid annual fee and purchase before statement closed and got 40,002 miles next day after the first statement closed.
Old May 8, 2014, 4:51 pm

- Made a purchase on new card
- AF charged on first statement
- Miles via purchase posted onto USair acc but bonus didn't
- Second billing statement, bonus posted
- I cancelled the card immediately as it was around 50 days.
- Got a refund of the AF via check; they did not clawback the bonus

FYI: 60 days to get a refund of your AF so this worked for me.

Take advantage of Barclays until they get as smart as Chase.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by pkoo
- Made a purchase on new card
- AF charged on first statement
- Miles via purchase posted onto USair acc but bonus didn't
- Second billing statement, bonus posted
- I cancelled the card immediately as it was around 50 days.
- Got a refund of the AF via check; they did not clawback the bonus

FYI: 60 days to get a refund of your AF so this worked for me.

Take advantage of Barclays until they get as smart as Chase.
Wow that is pretty risky.... let's hope they don't put you on their black list.
Old May 9, 2014, 7:49 am

What is life without risk?
Old May 9, 2014, 9:57 am

Will the US airway points convert to AA once the merger is completed?
Old May 9, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by ponickka
Will the US airway points convert to AA once the merger is completed?
At some point, but may not be until 2016.
Old May 9, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jibi
Completed data point for paid AF prior to 1st statement:

4/14 - Received and activated card
4/14 - Purchased product from Amazon for $40.95
4/14 - Made a BOFA billpay for $129.95 to Barclay (scheduled for 4/16)
4/17 - Payment posted; -$89 balance/credit and 41 miles displayed
4/30 - Statement closed; AF shows paid and $0 balance
5/5 - Statement posted on Barclay website with 40,000 bonus miles displayed
5/6 - 40,041 miles posted to US account
Successfully completed as of 5/6. Updated the wiki.

Last edited by jibi; May 9, 2014 at 5:49 pm
Old May 9, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Husband received card April 22nd, made one purchase $25 on April 28th.
Annual fee posted and paid bill on May 8th.
Today 40,050 miles have posted on USAir.
Way faster than I had expected.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Hmm. My statement dropped 5/11 and my miles haven't posted yet. They are showing in my Rewards tab on the Barclays website as earned though, so maybe they do a weekly sweep or something.

ETA: And there they are! Took 4 days from the statement date to post.

Last edited by PHLisa; May 15, 2014 at 1:41 pm Reason: Update
Old May 15, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Is there any timeline for when this card is likely to disappear? I was thinking this + an AA card could be good for building a combined new AA balance but wasn't sure what the lifespan of this card is.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Platinum
I have both the Citi AA cards (World Elite Master and Visa Signature) and the US Airways credit card.
Yesterday, I received a letter from Barclayscard stating that the companion certificate, miles towards perferred status, daypass and membership discount, and the first class check-in from US Airways credit card will be all gone in 2015.

Enjoy the benefits if you can in 2014...
Old May 15, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Is there any timeline for when this card is likely to disappear? I was thinking this + an AA card could be good for building a combined new AA balance but wasn't sure what the lifespan of this card is.
This card won't dsiappear for those who already have it and continue to hold it; it'll just morph into an AA card (but from Barclays) at some point.

However, what will disappear (once the US & AA programs actually merge) is the ability to apply for this card anew from Barclays. After the prorams actually merge, only the Citi AA cards will be avialable for new applications. The Barclays US->AA cards will only be continued for those who already have them at that point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.