Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED]

Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
<removed all expired links> (philemer)

*** Historical information follows: ***

Do not use a Preferred Application (10K Anniversay bonus) if you are not Preferred Elite. The reconsideration csr said as of December 11, 2014 the Preferred numbers are programmed in their computer and non-Preferred are immediately kicked out with no credit check. You cannot apply for any Barclays card for 30 days after rejection.

from the rejection letter I received:
The Dividend Miles number you provided on the application does not currently reflect a Preferred Status within the Dividend Miles program, and unfortunately this offer is only available to Dividend Miles members with Preferred Status. A credit report was not used in making this determination.

Note: If you are an existing cardholder of the older version of this card with a perpetual anniversary bonus, please ask account questions here:
[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Check Application Status

Current offers:
There is a new (as of Dec. 4, 2014) public offer for 50,000 bonus miles after the first purchase, $89 annual fee is not waived:
http://www.worldgotbigger.com/us-airways-credit-card/

There is also an offer for 50k now and 10k at first anniversary, for preferred members only, reported by jrobinson5 in Post 935 - but see that post for the link and that user's difficulties with it.

Older offers that may still work:

50k Offers - There are individually targeted offers circulating for a 50k signup bonus. No one has yet identified a way to apply without actually receiving a personalized code from Barclays in advance.

40k miles after first purchase; $89 annual fee NOT waived [This is the standard public offer]

40k miles after first purchase plus 10k miles at first (and only first) anniversary; $89 annual fee NOT waived [Note: For"Preferred Members Only"; for similar offers, this has been sporadically enforced - see the anniversary miles thread below for historical data]

Alternately, there is a long-running 35,000 mile offer with first year fee waived and 10,000 miles every anniversary:

Fee waived, no spend, US Airways Card, 35K (WIKI) Now dead - However, see that thread for 30k + 10k anniversary offer

(All offers with perpetual anniversary bonus are no longer available)

FAQ's
What will happen to this card when American and US Airways mileage plans are merged ?
The best information we has says that when that happens, Barclays will no longer be able to issue new cards, but your existing card will continue to be serviced by Barclays and become an American Airlines "red" credit card with benefits similar to the Citi AA Platinum card now issued (http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...erican-merger/)

Can I churn this card?
Yes

When can I apply for my 2nd/3rd/etc cards?
The general consensus is that you wait 6 months between applications with calling for recon significantly reducing your chances (better to get instant approval). YMMV. Note that in late 2014 there were several successful reports of people applying sooner than 6 months.

Do I have to close already existing accounts before applications for subsequent cards?
No but as always, YMMV

What's the reconsideration line number?
1-866-408-4064. Only open M-F, 8am-5pm Eastern time.
1-866-951-1437, After-hours (24/7)

When do the bonus miles post?
The annual fee will usually be charged in the first billing cycle. So assuming you made another purchase of at least $0.01 during the first billing cycle, the bonus miles will be credited to your account on the second billing cycle. If the AF doesn't post until the 2nd cycle, and you wait til the stmt. appears, your miles will not post until the 3rd cycle.

Key things to note with these new cards:
1. The previous cards waived the first year's annual fee and offered 10k for holding the card another year whereby the annual fee was charged. FTers, however, reported that Barclays did not clawback the 10k bonus after cancelling the card shortly after the AF posted.

2. The new cards' T&Cs this time explicitly state that the bonus will post upon payment of the AF (which is not waived) given that the fee isn't rescinded.

-Does this mean they will clawback the points?
Not enough data to confirm this

-If they don't plan to clawback the miles, how do they enforce the new terms?
They could, in theory, award the bonus after the period in which you could request a refund of the AF expires

Can I make a purchase and pre-pay the $89 AF prior to the first statement posting and receive the bonus miles?
Maybe. As of now, there are at least three data points stating this has been done successfully. Make a purchase of $0.01 $1 or more then use bill pay to make the payment and include the $89 AF (e.g. - a $1 purchase requires a $90 payment). If done correctly, the bonus miles (and the spend miles) will post on your first statement and to US Airways one day after the statement closes.

However, there are at least 2 reports (see #400) of having done the above and the AF did not bill in the first cycle (hence no posting of sign up bonus in that cycle). See the post for a possible explanation.

PLEASE POST if you applied again (FEB-APRIL, 2015), and after approval, ACTUALLY GOT the eligible bonus second time around after your approval and one time spend. That's really what peeps want to know.
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED]

Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by the_jaguar
I just applied for this offer and got an instant approval. This is smallest credit line I have ever received, only $7.5K, but I will take the 40,000 miles any day :-) Also got approved for the 100K AA card too.
That's the same as I got. Don't really care about the credit line. I was just doing it for the 40K miles.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:31 pm

second US Aircard for me in 12 months, getting ready to cancel the other one, instant approval, 15k limit. 40k with no spend is a nice match for the 100k AA card 10k spend I am working on right now
Old Mar 8, 2014, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Data point

Instant approval. Last Barclay card was a US MC, from 2012. $12.5K CL.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Card #3

This is my 3rd card - 1st is closed, 2nd still open from last May. Largest credit line they've every given me. Instant approval, 12.5k limit.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:14 pm

Denied. Too many credit applications. States that a credit report was NOT used in the decision. 800 credit score.

Am I blacklisted?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by e4west
Denied. Too many credit applications. States that a credit report was NOT used in the decision. 800 credit score.

Am I blacklisted?
What is your history of applying for Barclay cards? That much they can see without a credit report.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
data point on miles posting, or not

Wife's card:
First stmt. closed 3/12
Spend points/miles posted 3/13
No bonus miles yet - am I being too anxious?

[Edit: It looks like the fine print on this card is a little different than the no AF cards. It reads:
3 Bonus Miles: Applicants who are approved for the Premier World MasterCard will receive 40,000 bonus miles after the first use of the account for a Purchase or Balance Transfer (that are not later returned or rescinded) and have paid the Annual Fee on the account (and such fee is not rescinded). Applicants who are approved for the World MasterCard will receive 15,000 bonus miles after the first use of your account for a Purchase or Balance Transfer (that are not later returned or rescinded) and have paid the Annual Fee on the account (and such fee is not rescinded). Bonus miles will be sent to US Airways at the close of your billing statement after qualifying transaction(s) have been posted. Balance Transfer Checks do not qualify for bonus miles.

Looks like they want to make sure the AF is paid and THEN they'll issue the 40K bonus miles at the close of the next stmt. Assuming I'm reading this paragraph correctly.

Last edited by philemer; Mar 17, 2014 at 4:43 pm
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Data Point 3rd card

Card #1 (35k, no AF) = 3/20/13 Instant
Card #2 (35k, no AF) = 8/11/13 Instant (lowered credit limit to the minimum $5k sometime in jan 2014)

Card #1 Cancelled = 3/15/14

Card #3 (40k, AF) = 3/18/14 Instant

The key is low recent inquiries and not too much credit with them (lower it via sm if too much) according to my observations here and experience with a few other people's accounts.

If you don't get instant approval on anything but card #1, recon seems futile.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
I activated this card last year, on March 13... I am still awaiting the anniversary bonus... from reading here, I understood that it would post on the statement date of the anniversary month, which is today March 21, and still nothing.... Has anyone gotten the anniversary bonus lately ????????????????????
Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by diclemeg
I activated this card last year, on March 13... I am still awaiting the anniversary bonus... from reading here, I understood that it would post on the statement date of the anniversary month, which is today March 21, and still nothing.... Has anyone gotten the anniversary bonus lately ????????????????????

Yes, deal is still on. It may not post exactly on anniversary date but give it a week before panic. Sit tight and wait a little bit as it should show up before annual fee is due..
Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:52 am

Yes, it' usually end of the day/tomorrow..
Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by frudd38
Card #1 (35k, no AF) = 3/20/13 Instant
Card #2 (35k, no AF) = 8/11/13 Instant (lowered credit limit to the minimum $5k sometime in jan 2014)

Card #1 Cancelled = 3/15/14

Card #3 (40k, AF) = 3/18/14 Instant

The key is low recent inquiries and not too much credit with them (lower it via sm if too much) according to my observations here and experience with a few other people's accounts.

If you don't get instant approval on anything but card #1, recon seems futile.
Thanks for the tip. Downgraded my CL with them in preparation for card #2 app. $500 was the minimum CL quoted. I chose $2K for each of my 3 cards with them.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:22 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I activated this card last year, on March 13... I am still awaiting the anniversary bonus...
You're posting in a thread about offers without an anniversary bonus. Did you use a different link from another thread originally?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 1:29 pm

I was approved for the no af card back on December. If it's any comfort to those of you stuck with the newer af card, please note that you do not get charged an award processing fee of $50, whereas no af card holders like me must pay the $50 award processing fee.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by wheelsup57
I was approved for the no af card back on December. If it's any comfort to those of you stuck with the newer af card, please note that you do not get charged an award processing fee of $50, whereas no af card holders like me must pay the $50 award processing fee.
I've never heard of that waiver.. is it tied automatically tied to the account?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.