FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi retention offer reports (All cards) [2014 - 2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1537455-citi-retention-offer-reports-all-cards-2014-2015-a.html)

Jetsfan Dec 31, 2013 11:24 pm

Citi retention offer reports (All cards) [2014 - 2015]

Originally Posted by progapanda (Post 22052210)
Citi ThankYou Premier; retention offer of either 5,000 bonus TY points or $75 statement credit after $1,000 in purchases in 3 months. I'm going to keep the account open to run down my Flight Points balance, but thereafter I don't see this product as being worth the $125 annual fee after the October benefits devaluation.

This is about the same offer I received a year ago. But this year I was not offered any statement credit, and I closed the account.

PaulMSN Jan 1, 2014 3:37 am

I tried to close one of my 3 AA Plat Visa cards and they offered me $95 statement credit and 1,000 mile bonus for $1,000 spend for the next 16 months. I was hoping to transfer the CL from the cancelled card to one that has a $2000 CL, but what is essentially double miles for 16 months (if I only spend the $1000/mo) was too good to pass up.

I will call to cancel another card in a few days and we'll see if I get the same offer. If VRs and BB work for the next 16 months, I'll be able to handle 5 such offers with ease, and I have 6 AA cards. Could be very interesting -- at a rate of $0.00395/mile, a trip to Asia in C would only cost me $474+fees.

datadesk Jan 1, 2014 4:58 pm

AA Plat Visa retention

I just called about the $95 fee for my AA Plat Visa (renewal date was today) and was offered a $95 statement credit if I make 5 eligible purchases in the next 3 months. I had $0 spend in the last year, so they probably realized the $1K spend offer wasn't going to do it for me. I've had the card for >3 years.

austin_modern Jan 2, 2014 11:09 am

just called trying to cancel the card (AA Citi Select AMEX)... wasn't really looking nor did I ask for an offer, but got one that I accepted: (mostly accepted to get another year on the account for longevity.)

===================

same as this one. account opened ~1yr ago. Fee was to hit 2/1/14. My last 6 month spend: 3 dollars.

"$95 credit + 1k bonus miles each month with $1K+ in purchases for 16 months (Opened 11/2012, approx. $1,000 per month spent over 12 months)"

Mary Kasparek Jan 2, 2014 11:20 am

My most recent AAMEX statement posted today with an $85 annual renewal fee on it. I got this card in Jan 2013 with the two browser trick and have spent from $0/mo to $5K/mo to the tune of $12K+ over the year. I called the retention number at the top of the page 800-444-2568. A real person answered. I said I wanted to cancel my card since I had another card that paid me 1.5 miles per dollar with no annual fee. He said let's see what offers are available. His computer told him I qualified for the $95 one time credit even though my annual fee was only $85 and I qualified for the 1000 bonus miles/mo with at least $1K/mo spend for 16 months. I said it sounded good. He read a statement and and asked me if I wanted to accept the offer. I said yes. He clicked yes and the deal was done. He asked me if there was anything else he could help me with so I asked him if he wanted to make the same offer on my AAMC. He said they don't want to lose my business and the same scenario ensued. Again I said yes. Done! It really was just that simple. The MasterCard was acquired during the two browser trick described above. My spending on it was from $0/mo to $5K/mo for a total of $8K over the year.

dopke Jan 2, 2014 4:03 pm

Got the statement credit and 16 months/1000 bonus thing that everyone else is getting on a Visa AAdvantage.

PaulMSN Jan 2, 2014 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN (Post 22060764)
I tried to close one of my 3 AA Plat Visa cards and they offered me $95 statement credit and 1,000 mile bonus for $1,000 spend for the next 16 months...

I just called to cancel a second AA Plat Visa with the same result. So now I have two Citi cards that can earn me 1000 bonus miles each month. My third Plat Visa has some spend on it, but when I pay that off I'll try with that one, too, then maybe my Plat MC and the AmEx. If I get the same offer for each, it will be 5000 bonus miles a month for the VRs I would be doing anyway. In a year, I'd have a trip to Asia in C for $474+fees.

The only bad thing is that I'm well over the cumulative CL for Citi, so I can't obtain any more Citi cards unless they agree to transfer CL from other cards.

ckosh Jan 3, 2014 6:28 am

Citi AA Platinum Visa retention offer 1/3/14

I've had the card two years and last year already received a waived fee/16 month bonus miles offer, so the 16 months aren't complete yet. So I was given a different offer -statement fee waived with $1000 spend in 3 months.

No miles, but I assume last year's 16 month offer would still count for bonus miles if I spend enough in a month.

ma91pmh Jan 3, 2014 9:41 am

Add +1 to the list of $95 statement credit plus 1k for $1k for 16 months. This is a pretty nice offer and will keep up the $1k a month ^

TKKY Jan 3, 2014 12:18 pm

Just had AA Amex Platinum give me $85 credit plus 1000 bonus for 1000 for 16 billing cycles. I took this becuase the credit limit was high on the card. For my SO, I cancelled becuase it was small.

mia Jan 3, 2014 1:47 pm

Moderator action

See this thread for older reports:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...09-2013-a.html

hofarn Jan 3, 2014 4:59 pm

Have a Premier card for about a year. Called to cancel. Got an offer for 5000 TYPs ($1K spend). Also got offer to downgrade to Preferred or Forward. I took the Citi Forward offer.

andres17 Jan 3, 2014 10:08 pm

Question: I have 3 Citi CC's: Citi Dividend MC, AA MC, and AA Visa. I want to apply for the Citi Dividend Visa (has a $100 bonus with $500 spend, but I want to double down on the 5% categories this quarter). Prior to wanting this card, I knew I wanted to close the AA MC (got the retention $95 credit, but still will close the card). If I want to maximize my chances of getting approved for the Dividend VISA, should I:

1- Close the AA MC first, and then apply for the Dividend VISA
2- Apply first for the Dividend VISA, and if not approved, ask to close the AA MC in exchange of getting the Dividend approved?

What's the best play here?

lacuadra Jan 4, 2014 12:24 am

Citi retention offer reports [All cards]

Hi question to all the retention masters:

Have four Citis:
Preferred TYP. 1986.
Aadvantage Gold. 2001
Aadvantage Plat. 2011
Citi Honors Reserve 2013

Would like to close first two but really second one for I have no use for it ( but MS ) and have to pay fee. Aadvg Gold is over a decade old and has the biggest CL (25k)
Can I close it and consolidate CL into Aadv Plat. Really don't want to pay the fee for a useless card. Plus worried this may affect credit Fico.
How would you do this?

PaulMSN Jan 4, 2014 7:07 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN (Post 22060764)
...I will call to cancel another card in a few days and we'll see if I get the same offer...

A purchase on my third Plat Visa is taking a while to post, so I called to cancel my Plat MC instead, with the same result -- $95 credit, 1000 miles for $1000 spend in the next 16 billing cycles. That's 3 so far.