Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Suggestions / Discussion of Paying HOA fee/assessment with a credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2024, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

We have just gotten a big assessment for the roofing project at our HOA. Combined with our HOA dues, the monthly charge will be $1400 for the next 32 months.

Currently pay using Chase Bill pay and the bank makes an electronic funds transfer with no fee. Our management company is just now offering the ability to pay by credit card via their unique website set up by cincwebaxis.com that does this for HOAs. But the monthly fee would be $45.50 which is 3.25%.

Seems like the 3.25% fee would negate most of the points earning value. We only fly 2x/year and do redeem for J. (retired seniors who were never road warriors).

Our miles/points are mostly Chase UR or Amex MR. Have the Freedom Unlimited. Do have the Citi Double Cash (downgrade/product changed from AA card) which I don’t use and it’s my only CITI card (just put a small charge on it last week since CITI said they would cancel it EOM if I didn’t).

Advice? Is there any sense to doing this? A card that could work? Is BILT the better option?

Have read a bit about BILT, but somewhat confused as to the process.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by themice
... Advice? Is there any sense to doing this? A card that could work? Is BILT the better option? Have read a bit about BILT, but somewhat confused as to the process.
You answered the question yourself: Bilt Mastercard. The linked thread should clear all your confusion, it did for me several months ago. The Wiki on the thread is particularly helpful, I know the author . Participants on that thread are as gracious and helpful as those on any FT thread. Presuming credit card approval is probable for you, go for it, you can thank me in a few months after you've received points for your HOA payments for $0.00 fee. Start thinking about Bilt's quasi-SUB now, if you get the card and you're offered the quasi-SUB you'll only have 5 days to maximize it.
EmailKid, SPN Lifer and gaobest like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Dr Jabadski Thank you. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do. I should be able to be approved for the card. So I will carefully read through that thread,
TIA.
EmailKid, Dr Jabadski and gaobest like this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 7:36 pm

BoA might be able to code it under either Travel or Online Shopping. With a CCR and with Platinum Honors, you can get a 2% net on this but you would need 2 CCRs per quarter to compensate for the $1400 monthly pay. However, needing multiple CCRs and PH status would be a lot more hoops to jump through than going with Bilt only.

I had online property rent portals count as either online shopping or travel when paying rent with my CCR. Also didn't have problems getting Travel category on my BoA PR when paying HOA dues overseas.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Don't do any busines with BOA and yes, more hoops than I'm interested in jumping through (esp. at my age )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.