Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Coin - [No referral links] Single Card To Replace All the Plastic in Your Wallet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coin - [No referral links] Single Card To Replace All the Plastic in Your Wallet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by alexmt
Umm, no, not at all. Visa has almost nothing to do with Google Wallet except for accepting transactions as they do from any merchant.
My source is directly from VISA's website back in 2011/09
Visa and Google Sign Licensing Deal to Boost Mobile Payment Adoption

Originally Posted by VISA
Visa Inc., Visa Europe and Google today announced that Google has received a worldwide license to Visa payWave, an innovative NFC-based payment technology. Visa payWave enables consumers to make fast and secure payments at retail locations by waving their mobile phone in front of a payment terminal and is currently accepted at hundreds of thousands of retail locations worldwide.

The agreement sets the stage for Visa-issuing banks worldwide to enable Visa account holders to add their credit, debit and prepaid accounts to Google Wallet - a mobile application that turns a smart phone into a digital wallet. This is the latest effort by Visa and Google to simplify the consumer shopping experience by enabling them to make mobile payments using their mobile phones.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
My source is directly from VISA's website back in 2011/09
Visa and Google Sign Licensing Deal to Boost Mobile Payment Adoption
That was before Google switched to using the current model where they allow any card and they just charge the card, the current Google Wallet bears little resemblance technically to that Google Wallet.

http://www.nfcworld.com/2012/08/01/3...-pay-with-nfc/
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:44 pm

Picked up my coin today for the closed beta. Stoked to get this thing going. Lots of MS opportunities with this puppy : )
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
That was before Google switched to using the current model where they allow any card and they just charge the card, the current Google Wallet bears little resemblance technically to that Google Wallet.

http://www.nfcworld.com/2012/08/01/3...-pay-with-nfc/
Wouldn't that then be because of licensing where Google Wallet uses NFC, the NFC payment is from the license that Google got with MC payPass and VISA payWave? Or am I thinking it the wrong way?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:19 am

Wouldn't that then be because of licensing where Google Wallet uses NFC, the NFC payment is from the license that Google got with MC payPass and VISA payWave? Or am I thinking it the wrong way?
Nope, that agreement allowed Google to physically load Visa cards from cooperating banks. These were few and far between and those days are long gone. Google switch to acting as a merchant aggregator on a virtual MasterCard because they couldn't get banks to sign up in sufficient quantities.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Nope, that agreement allowed Google to physically load Visa cards from cooperating banks. These were few and far between and those days are long gone. Google switch to acting as a merchant aggregator on a virtual MasterCard because they couldn't get banks to sign up in sufficient quantities.
I wonder how Isis (or whatever name they're going to change to) managed to get more bank support than Google. In any case, a disadvantage of Google's current approach is that it won't work on certain tap to pay readers, like the ones at work.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
I wonder how Isis (or whatever name they're going to change to) managed to get more bank support than Google. In any case, a disadvantage of Google's current approach is that it won't work on certain tap to pay readers, like the ones at work.
I think with mobile payments, the banks themselves don't really know how it's going to take off here in the US. Contactless payments were supposed to be the next big thing, and that turned out to be a flop. So we're probably in the "try out everything that's available" phase.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think with mobile payments, the banks themselves don't really know how it's going to take off here in the US. Contactless payments were supposed to be the next big thing, and that turned out to be a flop. So we're probably in the "try out everything that's available" phase.
Technology is a little bit better now. I'm still leaning towards NFC enabled smartwatches.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whisp
Picked up my coin today for the closed beta. Stoked to get this thing going. Lots of MS opportunities with this puppy : )
Please explain how Coin increases MS opportunities (over using the same cards without Coin)???
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Coin support just wrote back saying that the refund's been processed. Will check back in a week to see if it shows up on my card or not, but yeah, glad that's over with.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Coin support just wrote back saying that the refund's been processed. Will check back in a week to see if it shows up on my card or not, but yeah, glad that's over with.
But, but, but, you could've gotten the Coin card and tested it out how it'll work (likely won't work) at Walmart when loaded up with your EMV cards!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:15 am

We're now at the end of 2014, there is still no further update on EMV compatibility, and the shipping date has blown out to Spring 2015.

Can't wait until Spring 2015 to hear their latest excuses!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
We're now at the end of 2014, there is still no further update on EMV compatibility, and the shipping date has blown out to Spring 2015.

Can't wait until Spring 2015 to hear their latest excuses!
I don't think the product will ever exist. Mobile payments have their own challenges but they now have a much better chance than coin.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson

Was a great idea at the time but alas technology moves too quick. I was excited by coin long ago but I agree Spring 2015 might as well be a decade away.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:30 am

Anybody at CES right now?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dynami...185000966.html

I've seen I think the same thing at CES 2 years ago, but was no EMW at the time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.