Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Premier 20k+30k / $625 offer (one year wait)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Clicked thinking interesting. Then saw crummy intro terms here....you get the first 20,000 after $2k in spend within 3 months. Then the second 30,000 after $3k in spend in the first 3 months of your *second* year

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...er-credit-card

Last edited by mia; Oct 22, 2013 at 8:59 am Reason: Clean link
Old Oct 20, 2013, 6:41 am

Thanks. I actually thought Premier had been eliminated.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Clicked thinking interesting. Then saw crummy intro terms here....you get the first 20,000 after $2k in spend within 3 months. Then the second 30,000 after $3k in spend in the first 3 months of your *second* year
That sounds like a great big administrative headache. Perhaps the materials that will come with the card will clarify, but the existing T&C don't make clear how they reckon the first 3 months of the second year. 90 days from anniversary of approval? The 3 statement periods after the one on which the AF appears? Lots of ways in which cardholders can screw up and incur some or all of the second-round spend too early or too late.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:59 am

This would have been a decent offer with the old premier card, but there is no good reason to pay the annual fee with the new benefits.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
Thanks. I actually thought Premier had been eliminated.
They took down the applications to make major changes to the program, though it was always scheduled to return on 10/20
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by aradisc
They took down the applications to make major changes to the program, though it was always scheduled to return on 10/20
And it's generally available at https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...er-credit-card . No need to traverse a series of referral links through the link in the OP.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Disaapointing. I really enjoyed using my TU points to book cheap domestic tickets last year. Too bad.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by aradisc
Oh. In that case I may wait for a better offer. I had a link to get 50k in the first year after some spending, but it's dead.

Originally Posted by beltway
That sounds like a great big administrative headache. Perhaps the materials that will come with the card will clarify, but the existing T&C don't make clear how they reckon the first 3 months of the second year.
I would guess it's 90 days from the date of your annual fee.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 7:40 pm

Premiercard benefits minus its annual fee equal preferred card

You know something?

PREMIERCARD BENEFITS MINUS ITS ANNUAL FEE EQUAL PREFERRED CARD.

Yes I did the math left and right. The Premier card is same as the Preferred (Unless you make heavy expense at least $400 per month on dining). Only one point difference when comes to dining and travel. And the final benefit is 25% extra on airfare but that will be killed by the $125 annual fee.
Atleast they could have kept 15% discount or flight points. Too bad.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
So, since you have to keep the card into the 2nd year to get the 30K TYPts and there's a $125 annual fee in the 2nd year, I'd view it as $500 toward airfare, rather than $625.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:46 pm

I see in my terms and conditions for the card (but this is old material that they had sent me 1 year ago) that when the annual fee gets billed, I have 30 days from the date of that billing to then cancel the card (and not have to pay the fee). Does anyone know if these terms still hold true?

I would rather not have to call up as that may attract attention to my Citi Thank You preferred account which, if Citi examined, they would not be happy with.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:04 am

Is Citi Premier churnable?

Do we have any good information on the extent to which one can apply for Citi TYP cards -- especially the Premier -- multiple times in succession?

I'm well aware of the extensive FT discussion on other Citi products (Hilton & AA cards) & the various limitations, or lack thereof, on churning them. There is not, as far as I can determine, any comparable body of knowledge on the Premier card.

(For the record, yes, I know that the current Premier offer is fairly weak, especially compared to the original 50K bonus from 2 years ago. But I'm sitting on a decent chunk of TYP; have plenty coming in every month owing to Citi Forward 5x dining bonus; and like being able to redeem for flights at 1.25c/point. OTOH, it's not worth $125/year to me to keep my current Premier card, especially after the 2013 cutback in benefits.)

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by beltway; Mar 1, 2014 at 10:29 am
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Is Citi Premier churnable?

Last time I opened a Citi card, they sent me a 1099 at the end of the year for the value of the TYP I got as the opening bonus.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:39 am

2 years ago I got 1 Visa, and later 1 MC TY premiere within a month of each other. Definitely churnable.

If you get another card, you should use up all your points associated with the previous card. Those points expire 90 days after you close the card.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:51 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Most experiences are pretty old with this card, since the bonuses haven't been very high lately.

When it was a 50k offer, most of us got both a Visa and a MC.

I did find this post from someone who had a total of 3 cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18883193-post569.html

See also the rest of that thread, with a ton of now quite old information.

Are you thinking of applying using this offer: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...year-wait.html ?

If so, I'll merge the threads. If you have a different offer available, we'll use this thread for the new offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.