Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

TD Bank [USA] Cash Rewards [Consolidated]

Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zeppoloveskafka
Was given number 1-877-745-5040 as direct number for claiming rewards.

But easier to do at https://easyrewards.tdbank.com/ and statement credits post very quickly.

Target and Walmart seem to be posting at 1%, even when they are supposed to code grocery.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Hey folks! I have a checking and savings account with TD Bank and saw on their website that they have a visa card that gives: "5% cash back as a statement credit or 5x rewards points on dining, grocery and gas purchases and cable, phone and utility bill payments for the first 6 months".

Does anyone have this card? Is it worth getting?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:24 am

After 6 months it is just a 1% card.

So maybe if you could buy high dollar easy conversion stuff at gas stations or grocery store and hit it hard the first 6 months it might be worth it. But you forfeit your cash rewards if they think you are abusing it if you read the terms and conditions. It says unlimited but if you bought 10k or more of gas or groceries a month I'm not sure how long they would allow that.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:29 am
Original Poster

There's a gas station a mile from my house that sells VRs... hence the opportunity in my eyes, as long as the transaction code qualifies in TD Banks eyes as "gas station purchase". So, no one out there has this card? Could be a good 6 month cash crop.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:45 am

It's too much efforts for just 6 months. If you have unlimited time on your hand, this will give you some extra spending $$$.

There is a version of the Citi Thankyou perffered that give you 5x on similar categories for 12 months. However, I believe the 5x is capped.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Global Entry
TD = Toronto Dominion?

Only TD Bank I know is one of the largest Canadian banks, Toronto Dominion Bank. There are Vanilla reload cards in Canada now?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:07 pm

TD Bank has a foot print in New England too. I have a branch down the road from me in MA.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:15 pm

I'm actually gonna be opening a TD Bank account after I get back home from traveling. I'll definitely be looking into this.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

There are lots of TD Banks all along the East Coast. Plenty in SC, where I live. Thanks for the tip on the Thankyou card - I'll check it out.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:59 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bshort89
There are lots of TD Banks all along the East Coast. Plenty in SC, where I live. Thanks for the tip on the Thankyou card - I'll check it out.
TD bank runs from Maine to Florida.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Has anyone already applied for this card? Seems interesting...6 months is plenty of time as many of the manufactured spend games tend to last 4 to 6 months average anyway

I believe they have a 5x awards version of this card in addition to 5x business cards as well...
Old Mar 19, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: All of them!
Even if you can't find VR cards at a gas station that codes as a purchase, you could still buy $500 prepaid Visas at a grocery store, then liquidate via AP, AFT, or whatever. You can also get gas discount points (only 1x unlike buying store GCs, but you can still max out their limit, usually $1 or $2 a gallon, every time you tank up). I do this now with my Amex BCP and earn 6%, but that's capped at $6k/year. Maybe you can find VRs at a grocery store too, as there are some listed on their website, but the only place I have been able to find in my area that sells VR with CC is CVS.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
It's funny...no grocery around me has more then $100 ($6.95) visa cards and I saw a guy try to buy two with a load of groceries and you would think he tried to steal it!
One manager and clerk plus the check out girl gave him the 3rd degree about how it had to be rung up separate and had to be paid for with cash.
Poor guy was just trying to get a last minute gift for nanna...

Originally Posted by Lemma
Even if you can't find VR cards at a gas station that codes as a purchase, you could still buy $500 prepaid Visas at a grocery store, then liquidate via AP, AFT, or whatever. You can also get gas discount points (only 1x unlike buying store GCs, but you can still max out their limit, usually $1 or $2 a gallon, every time you tank up). I do this now with my Amex BCP and earn 6%, but that's capped at $6k/year. Maybe you can find VRs at a grocery store too, as there are some listed on their website, but the only place I have been able to find in my area that sells VR with CC is CVS.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by vodkashine
It's funny...no grocery around me has more then $100 ($6.95) visa cards and I saw a guy try to buy two with a load of groceries and you would think he tried to steal it!
One manager and clerk plus the check out girl gave him the 3rd degree about how it had to be rung up separate and had to be paid for with cash.
Poor guy was just trying to get a last minute gift for nanna...
I guess that is why we say YMMV! They have the ones from US Bank that can be loaded for any amount from $20 to $500 at the Kroger store I go to for a $5.95 fee. They also sell Kroger prepaid Visas which say "cash only" prominently on the package, and have a lower fee, which I haven't attempted to buy.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:28 pm

If you have other cards, such as Amex Hilton etc., I would wait until those category bonuses get devalued then apply for limited time bonus category cards. That way you can extend the length of time you are constantly earning a bonus in those categories.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by windcloud5
There is a version of the Citi Thankyou perffered that give you 5x on similar categories for 12 months. However, I believe the 5x is capped.
I just got the card you're referring to. Are you sure its capped?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.