Last edit by: muji
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:14 pm

WF

Folks here make everything more complicated then it has to be. I laugh at all the BS in how to pay back card! I finished my 6 months about 4 months ago. No WF CA. Took 1500 in MO to any branch 2x per week (CT and NYC). Handed teller CC and MO's. Stated I want to pay this card. 2 minutes later walked out with payment receipt. Did this for 5 months. Payments posted within 48 hours. Done. But only did 3 MO at a time per week for 3K payment. Doing more will probably set off alarms.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by Duffman
yep, just learned about the bank transfer a week ago. The two bank withdrawals I setup got declined for some reason. No error msg, no email, just declined. Will need to call Serve and find out what's going on. Is the limit for withdrawals the same as ATM Withdrawals, ie. $2000/month? Another way I can think of is to transfer funds from my Serve to a friend's Bluebird acc and then write a check to myself.
IIRC, WF is pretty strict about the names on the account matching before they'll let you push money in. My paypal business account with lastname consulting would bounce, but personal account would not. I've only tried serve withdrawals with my name and they've all gone through - and it's definitely well above $2K a month limit.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
Folks here make everything more complicated then it has to be. I laugh at all the BS in how to pay back card! I finished my 6 months about 4 months ago. No WF CA. Took 1500 in MO to any branch 2x per week (CT and NYC). Handed teller CC and MO's. Stated I want to pay this card. 2 minutes later walked out with payment receipt. Did this for 5 months. Payments posted within 48 hours. Done. But only did 3 MO at a time per week for 3K payment. Doing more will probably set off alarms.
I laugh at the dubious gall of someone bragging about how easy it was to do a pitiful $3K per week. 26 weeks and all you did was ~$78K? Many are/were doing that monthly...
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by farwest101
I laugh at the dubious gall of someone bragging about how easy it was to do a pitiful $3K per week. 26 weeks and all you did was ~$78K? Many are/were doing that monthly...
I agree with this. The difficulties occur when you are doing the larger amounts, involving BB or Serve, etc + MO. I'm guessing he was not recycling his line. Of course there is no problem with that, that's easy! When you recycle your line, you have to coordinate payments, try to minimize how many payments, etc. However the rewards are much greater than playing it safe at $3k/mo. Greater rewards take greater efforts and there is greater risk. For me I am able to recycle 3x, have a 10k limit.

Also don't know why he wasn't just using BB or Serve. Why do MO? I do those after I have maxed out my Serve and Go Bank, so after about $8k, I would go get MO.

Most people cannot find places that so kindly sell MO for gift cards anymore. I know of only one place in my area.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:40 pm

WF

well I did state I paid 3k/weekly in MO, in person, but I also used BP from Citi and Astoria. The 3k weekly just freed up the CL a bit faster. The BP from other banks took about 6 business days to be credited and another 2-3 days for CL to go back up. Also was doing this across 2 cards... wife. And back about 8 months ago, only had 1 FA at the beginning on each card.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
So I applied for the Visa Signature for the 5x rewards at 1.5 cents a point.

But they gave me the Visa Platinum, and I have already racked up $1,000 in rewards. At this pace, I will probably have $6,000 by the time the program is done.

The question if I apply for the Visa Signature at that time and am approved, will I able to redeem the already-accrued Wells Fargo Rewards for travel at 1.5 cents each? The way I see it, the extra $3,000 in value is worth another hard pull. (Though I'm very annoyed at what's happened so far. I had no clue Platinum was worse than Visa Signature.)
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:26 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by farwest101
Or weekly...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by ramalama8
Looks like they may be taking the new clauses in the T&C about not rewarding points on GC purchases seriously -- my card is still open but all my existing rewards are frozen (less than 1000) and all pending rewards are still pending despite statement closing in the past few days (redeemable date is about a month out).

Also, I say that my card is still open but despite not having a balance, no available credit was freed up after my last payment. So I'm effectively shut down without having the card closed. In the past they would have just shut down the account immediately -- this is a different tactic.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like I am closed down. They did it only a day before statement close -- that's scummy of them.
As an update, I got my closure letter in the mail and they state the reason for closure was because I had gone over my credit limit a couple of times. How their system allows me to do that is beyond me, but that's what happened.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
As an update, I got my closure letter in the mail and they state the reason for closure was because I had gone over my credit limit a couple of times. How their system allows me to do that is beyond me, but that's what happened.
Did you go over your credit limit in the sense that you paid down the bill and then charged more? It may not be that you literally went past the dollar amount. It may be that the total is over the CL. If that makes sense.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:00 pm

Was your card a Platinum or Signature?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:21 pm

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

I know general wisdom says not to overpay your balance; in other words, do not send a payment until charges post. I believe many people have gotten shut down by doing this.

When I send a payment from my Wells Fargo checking account, the payment shows as pending immediately; it takes about a business day to post, but my available credit increases immediately by the payment amount. Is it risky to charge to the CC while the payment is pending?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by coltonatx
I know general wisdom says not to overpay your balance; in other words, do not send a payment until charges post. I believe many people have gotten shut down by doing this.

When I send a payment from my Wells Fargo checking account, the payment shows as pending immediately; it takes about a business day to post, but my available credit increases immediately by the payment amount. Is it risky to charge to the CC while the payment is pending?
May be. Never done it. I've paid throught the WF Checking as well. For me the CL increase is immediate, and I mean immediate not even a business day. That being said, I do it on-line and have also done it via the app. I just use the transfer option, I believe, and the CL immediately jumps back up. That might not work fast if you go in to the branch however, but if pending for one day, will waiting one day really hurt your bottom line?

I've also paid off the CL other ways and none of them are as fast. After paying off the balance 5x in one stmt period, like another poster stated earlier, WF accepted payment of course but never raised the CL until a couple days before the statement closed, took about 2.5 weeks. I did not call. Although I know some of you out there would probably do that and invite scrutiny. Since I've gotten almost $4k in free cash back over 5 months I didn't think complaining was appropriate.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by xp0
Or weekly...
Or daily. Lightweights.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Air Berlin Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ChurnChop
May be. Never done it. I've paid throught the WF Checking as well. For me the CL increase is immediate, and I mean immediate not even a business day. That being said, I do it on-line and have also done it via the app. I just use the transfer option, I believe, and the CL immediately jumps back up. That might not work fast if you go in to the branch however, but if pending for one day, will waiting one day really hurt your bottom line?

I've also paid off the CL other ways and none of them are as fast. After paying off the balance 5x in one stmt period, like another poster stated earlier, WF accepted payment of course but never raised the CL until a couple days before the statement closed, took about 2.5 weeks. I did not call. Although I know some of you out there would probably do that and invite scrutiny. Since I've gotten almost $4k in free cash back over 5 months I didn't think complaining was appropriate.
When using the transfer option, can you do it before purchase transactions post to your account? Like if you have $2k in pending payments can you transfer at any time from your checking to your WF cc and the CL will go back up?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by pointsaddict3326
When using the transfer option, can you do it before purchase transactions post to your account? Like if you have $2k in pending payments can you transfer at any time from your checking to your WF cc and the CL will go back up?
(you can pay the amount that already posted), Do NOT pay the part of transactions still pending , that's an "over payment"
if transfer/payment still in pending, that part of credit line you can NOT use, that's an "over credit limit" if you do.
those two reasons are getting people shutdown.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.