Last edit by: muji
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by romeogg
Does the reward redeem website work for anybody? I still could not login to check my account activity since the outage a few weeks ago.
I can't get it to work using my Chrome browser. But it does work with Internet Explorer.

Chrome has nearly 50% of the market and the idiots can't get it to work?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by mrmandel
There is a single datapoint from someone who closed a Wells Fargo card in 2009 and was able to get the bonus this time around.
So, I should really close it ASAP and be prepared for MS on WF again in 5 years
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:58 pm

So this is fun. I signed up for a Wells Fargo platinum back in mid-March with an offer of spend 1000 in the first 3 months, get 20000 points. It was unclear when those 3 months ended (I was approved in mid March but didnt get the card until April, and the expiration date says 3/31) so I called the number on the back of the card in May. After explaining why I needed to know the 3 month mark, the CSR said that for the purposes of reward redemption I had until the end of June.

So I made my 1000 spend by June 18. The reward never posted, and when I called the Rewards dept they told me that my last day for the rewards was June 13, by which time I only had spent about 700. I explained the phone call to them, that I relied on a WF CSR who explicitly stated I had until the end of June, gave them the exact time and date of the phone call, and they started an "investigation."

Today I got the results. "You only had spent 700 by the time the offer ended." I explained again about what happened. She put me on hold, then came back later "I'm sorry but there is nothing we can do because the offer expired. It's unfortunate that this person you spoke to told you the wrong thing." (The person I spoke to being the person who I'm directed to speak to by the back of my credit card). "They don't really know about rewards in that department." Then shouldn't they pass me to the rewards dept instead of just making things up?

I said fine, just let me get a check for the $15 of rewards that I'm going to get for my spending a thousand, and I'll cancel the card and go to the bank tomorrow and close my checking account.
"Are you sure you dont want to download some digital rewards?"
No, I'll probably get a virus because I can't trust anything having to do with WF. Just the check please.
"Sorry, we can only redeem in increments of $25. Do you want me to pass you on to the cancellation department now?"

So, what was even the point of the investigation? "We can't do anything because the offer expired, but let's open an investigation so in a week we can tell you the same thing we're telling you right now. It'll be fun to imagine you hoping we do the right thing"

This is kind of a 2 strikes and you're out thing with WF BTW, they screwed me over with my checking account back in 2010 and I missed a credit card payment.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by potatoes
So this is fun. I signed up for a Wells Fargo platinum back in mid-March with an offer of spend 1000 in the first 3 months, get 20000 points. It was unclear when those 3 months ended (I was approved in mid March but didnt get the card until April, and the expiration date says 3/31) so I called the number on the back of the card in May. After explaining why I needed to know the 3 month mark, the CSR said that for the purposes of reward redemption I had until the end of June.

So I made my 1000 spend by June 18. The reward never posted, and when I called the Rewards dept they told me that my last day for the rewards was June 13, by which time I only had spent about 700. I explained the phone call to them, that I relied on a WF CSR who explicitly stated I had until the end of June, gave them the exact time and date of the phone call, and they started an "investigation."

Today I got the results. "You only had spent 700 by the time the offer ended." I explained again about what happened. She put me on hold, then came back later "I'm sorry but there is nothing we can do because the offer expired. It's unfortunate that this person you spoke to told you the wrong thing." (The person I spoke to being the person who I'm directed to speak to by the back of my credit card). "They don't really know about rewards in that department." Then shouldn't they pass me to the rewards dept instead of just making things up?

I said fine, just let me get a check for the $15 of rewards that I'm going to get for my spending a thousand, and I'll cancel the card and go to the bank tomorrow and close my checking account.
"Are you sure you dont want to download some digital rewards?"
No, I'll probably get a virus because I can't trust anything having to do with WF. Just the check please.
"Sorry, we can only redeem in increments of $25. Do you want me to pass you on to the cancellation department now?"

So, what was even the point of the investigation? "We can't do anything because the offer expired, but let's open an investigation so in a week we can tell you the same thing we're telling you right now. It'll be fun to imagine you hoping we do the right thing"

This is kind of a 2 strikes and you're out thing with WF BTW, they screwed me over with my checking account back in 2010 and I missed a credit card payment.
Cheap lesson learned methinks. Do Secure Message and get it in writing next time.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:40 pm

I wish people would report on success/failure on opening up the card for a second time.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by potatoes

WF is the absolute worst for this kind of thing. You might try calling the executive office if you want any hope of a more successful resolution:

http://consumerist.com/2008/09/24/co...f-and-friends/
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Yea I noticed early on that WF CSR sucks. My card was locked down due to "overpayment" crap. I called in and they unlocked it. I checked again a day later and it was locked again! I called again and they said it was due to overpayment and unlocked me... A day later it was locked again! By now I was highly pissed. The lady said it was due to overpayment. I said I called twice already and she said that apparently neither CSR put in the notes that they told me that it was due to overpayment so it had to be locked again. #1-pissed that they didn't put this in the notes and #2-pissed that it had to have been a person that went back into my acct to look for the notes and then locked it again when they didn't see it. I highly doubt a computer would have done that.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Advice requested:

Last night logged into iPhone app and showed current outstanding balance of around $15,000 (in the Account Balance summary section of the iPhone app).

-20 Aug 2014 Made payment last night (before midnight) of $14,900
-21 Aug 2014 Purchased $5,000 in GC at grocery store this AM
-21 Aug 2014 Logged onto website from my computer this morning following the GC purchase and I see a current outstanding balance $10,000 (in Balance Summary section of website). But my "Running Balance" is -$4,800 (which makes me think I've overpaid).

1) Do I have anything to worry about?
2) If so, since the payment I made last night still shows as "pending" do I tempt fate and go into the branch / call CS and ask them to change the payment from $14,900 to something below $10,000? This would hopefully change my running balance to a positive number.

Apparently a payment from the day before (19 Aug 2014) had changed it status from "pending" to "posted", but wasn't yet reflected in my Outstanding Balance from the Balance Summary section of the website.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AOPA
I wouldn't worry about it.

WF's definition of overpayment is really overcharging your limit in a billing cycle, even if you pay off everything. So avoid doing more than a certain amount over your limit. From what I have read, you will get warned at about 3rd/4th billing cycle and if you are charging >3x on a 15/20k limit.

Originally Posted by edbyu
Advice requested:

Last night logged into iPhone app and showed current outstanding balance of around $15,000 (in the Account Balance summary section of the iPhone app).

-20 Aug 2014 Made payment last night (before midnight) of $14,900
-21 Aug 2014 Purchased $5,000 in GC at grocery store this AM
-21 Aug 2014 Logged onto website from my computer this morning following the GC purchase and I see a current outstanding balance $10,000 (in Balance Summary section of website). But my "Running Balance" is -$4,800 (which makes me think I've overpaid).

1) Do I have anything to worry about?
2) If so, since the payment I made last night still shows as "pending" do I tempt fate and go into the branch / call CS and ask them to change the payment from $14,900 to something below $10,000? This would hopefully change my running balance to a positive number.

Apparently a payment from the day before (19 Aug 2014) had changed it status from "pending" to "posted", but wasn't yet reflected in my Outstanding Balance from the Balance Summary section of the website.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:43 pm

anyone know if Walmart Supercenter and/or Walmart neighborhood market purchase count as 5X reward?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:52 pm

My fifth month will be closing soon.

I've been averaging $600/mo cashback on a $2k CL. So averaging 6x the CL per month, buying 3 $500 GC at a time. I was denied a CL increase about 3 months in due to too many hard pulls.

I've had a Wells checking account open that is soley funded by MO that are used to pay back this card. So $12k/mo in MO deposits. I've never paid my Wells CC any other way.

Take that as you will, but figured I'd pass along since my time with this card is almost done. It might give some solace to some who got low CLs and are afraid to turn their CL over.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by ZeroMile
anyone know if Walmart Supercenter and/or Walmart neighborhood market purchase count as 5X reward?
WM Supercenter does.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
yes - I have my next churn coming up in a couple of months and would really like to try this out. Any tips on getting the a 2nd WF card? I abused the first one during the VR heydays. I don't expect to do anywhere near that volume anywhere but sure would be nice to have 10k-15k/month with a decent 5% card.

Originally Posted by Silverthunder
I wish people would report on success/failure on opening up the card for a second time.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kevster402
Just got a letter in the mail from WF. It said that my card benefits were upgraded to no foreign transaction fees and 1.35% cash back on all regular purchases. Said the reason was because I had spent $50,000. Not sure it's all that beneficial for my purposes but throwing it out there in case anyone is interested.
I posted this a while back. Turns out I'm getting an extra .35% on the already 5% categories as well. Score!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
What's the typical lag time for a statement closing (around midnight) and points showing up in the rewards account? Is it a few days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.