Last edit by: muji
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Rob14
Probably to get yelled at for overpaying?
but I did not overpay.
I think large amount and then small amount charges trigger this problem. But I got no fraud alert call, but only this message online.

I called the number and input the credit card number, everything seems normal.

maybe tomorrow someone will call me, or got an automatically fraud alert call
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by ziwei
but I did not overpay.
I think large amount and then small amount charges trigger this problem. But I got no fraud alert call, but only this message online.

I called the number and input the credit card number, everything seems normal.

maybe tomorrow someone will call me, or got an automatically fraud alert call
in WF nomenclature, overpaying=charging more than your CL in a month
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by skibum7732
in WF nomenclature, overpaying=charging more than your CL in a month
I see.
my statement will close on 23rd. shall I wail 2 more days to call, to let the rewards posted, if it is possible? please advise.

I worry they may shut me down immediately when I call and cannot explain why I have spent so much recently
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:57 am

I see.
my statement will close on 23rd. shall I wail 2 more days to call, to let the rewards posted, if it is possible? please advise.

I worry they may shut me down immediately when I call and cannot explain why I have spent so much recently
I don't remember the number I called but that might be it. Once you have 5 charges in a short period of time where enough of them are suspicious, you get calls, or account blocked or stuff. In 3 months I have not made a purchase under $500 on the card, not worth it.

While there were a couple reports of shutdown, overall people seem to have lots of success and get out of these phone calls unscathed. Left hand doesn't care what the right hand is doing at WF. I debated waiting myself to the end of the statement, but then I figured the larger risk was that the account got escalated somewhere else...better to tackle the issue before too many eyes see it.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
I don't remember the number I called but that might be it. Once you have 5 charges in a short period of time where enough of them are suspicious, you get calls, or account blocked or stuff. In 3 months I have not made a purchase under $500 on the card, not worth it.

While there were a couple reports of shutdown, overall people seem to have lots of success and get out of these phone calls unscathed. Left hand doesn't care what the right hand is doing at WF. I debated waiting myself to the end of the statement, but then I figured the larger risk was that the account got escalated somewhere else...better to tackle the issue before too many eyes see it.
thank you. I called and restriction removed.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Hilton honors. Club Carlson UA AA
thank you. I called and restriction removed.
Was it for over paying?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Rob14
Was it for over paying?
probably not. I did not ask (I dared not to ask to avoid any trouble) and she did not explain why either. it was quick.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:41 pm

Got shot down by WF tonight trying to buy $2K in VGC's at grocery store. The decline message on the terminal said some thing, "Please try again, have customer contact issuer".

Came home, logged into WF.com and I've got the same message Ziwel had.

Credit limit is $20K. Last statement was was my first one with this card and it was $13.5K. Have put another $3K on the card right after stamens printed. Was buying $3-$4K per week at grocery. I'd make a purchase once a week and just buy a bunch of gift cards at one time on a Tuesday or Wednesday. But I was putting other regular purchases on there for 5% like gas and regular groceries...

Think I'm going to take zeppo's advice and stop putting charges under $500 on there.

I'm waiting for transfers to come into WF from another checking account. Hopefully it gets there in the next 2 days, then I'll pay the bill right from WF checking, then I'll call in, I'm thinking...

Don't know what I'm gonna say if I'm asked why the hell am I buying so many groceries?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by levander
Got shot down by WF tonight trying to buy $2K in VGC's at grocery store. The decline message on the terminal said some thing, "Please try again, have customer contact issuer".

Came home, logged into WF.com and I've got the same message Ziwel had.

Credit limit is $20K. Last statement was was my first one with this card and it was $13.5K. Have put another $3K on the card right after stamens printed. Was buying $3-$4K per week at grocery. I'd make a purchase once a week and just buy a bunch of gift cards at one time on a Tuesday or Wednesday. But I was putting other regular purchases on there for 5% like gas and regular groceries...

Think I'm going to take zeppo's advice and stop putting charges under $500 on there.

I'm waiting for transfers to come into WF from another checking account. Hopefully it gets there in the next 2 days, then I'll pay the bill right from WF checking, then I'll call in, I'm thinking...

Don't know what I'm gonna say if I'm asked why the hell am I buying so many groceries?
Chances are very high you won't be asked anything. I've made this call 6 or 7 times now and never have been asked a question. I got locked out again yesterday (same routine, 1st swipe declined, immediate 2nd swipe for same amount goes through, 3rd swipe, this time next day declined and card locked). Phone call fixed problem.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: AOPA
Done that call twice in two days. They are just confirming the last 5 transactions.

It is interesting to confirm all the 2k and 3k purchases in the last day a so, I got flagged because 3 2k buys in 1 day.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:05 pm

The Rewards Point version of this card is off the hook

I feel like this card does not get enough credit. For straight MSing, its amazing. You get 5X points plus a 50% bonus if you book plane tickets. I just got my first statement and verified that the price of the tickets is the same as kayak less 33%. And it is!

Unless you are going after signup bonuses, you can’t beat the return. For coach tickets, the return is astronomical and for business it’s still better than the typical 1.25 miles you can get with other cards. For example, a typical business ticket will cost $5000 and would cost 120,000 in “saver” miles. Based on my math, it would cost $826.67 in fees to MS the needed VGC using the Wells 5X card vs the $1,232.64 in fees using a typical 1.25 card. For coach tickets, the typical $400 fare only requires MSing 11 gift cards!

The only card that comes close for international business would be Ink and buying $200 VGC at Staples. But then you are limited to only a few airlines and having to hunt for Saver seats.

Am I missing something? I feel like this card does not get the appropriate attention.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by hokiegl
I feel like this card does not get enough credit. For straight MSing, its amazing. You get 5X points plus a 50% bonus if you book plane tickets. I just got my first statement and verified that the price of the tickets is the same as kayak less 33%. And it is!

Unless you are going after signup bonuses, you can’t beat the return. For coach tickets, the return is astronomical and for business it’s still better than the typical 1.25 miles you can get with other cards. For example, a typical business ticket will cost $5000 and would cost 120,000 in “saver” miles. Based on my math, it would cost $826.67 in fees to MS the needed VGC using the Wells 5X card vs the $1,232.64 in fees using a typical 1.25 card. For coach tickets, the typical $400 fare only requires MSing 11 gift cards!

The only card that comes close for international business would be Ink and buying $200 VGC at Staples. But then you are limited to only a few airlines and having to hunt for Saver seats.

Am I missing something? I feel like this card does not get the appropriate attention.
Huh? This card receives way too much attention. Posts like yours are key reasons why. Just enjoy the limited 5x while you can. WF can take it away tomorrow if too many nimrods start blathering about the card.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by hokiegl
For example, a typical business ticket will cost $5000 and would cost 120,000 in “saver” miles. Based on my math, it would cost $826.67 in fees to MS the needed VGC using the Wells 5X card vs the $1,232.64 in fees using a typical 1.25 card. For coach tickets, the typical $400 fare only requires MSing 11 gift cards!
\
HUH, there is no such thing as a typical biz class ticket for $5k....they can run from $100's to many $1000's and every possible variable in between
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
Chances are very high you won't be asked anything. I've made this call 6 or 7 times now and never have been asked a question. I got locked out again yesterday (same routine, 1st swipe declined, immediate 2nd swipe for same amount goes through, 3rd swipe, this time next day declined and card locked). Phone call fixed problem.
Thanks Zeppo and teddy. Made call last night. Youngish guy who answered was almost embarrassed to ask me stuff. Skipped over the $2K amount of the charge that was declined, then asked about 2 Publix charges that were around $20 each, then said, "mmmm, okay, that's it!". Call went so well I asked at the end, "this is the 2nd time I've had to call in with this card, is there anything I can do to stop having to call in?" He got real friendly and said "I admit it's a little uncomfortable, but what I do!" His suggestion was to call in before making the charge or to tell the cashier where you're buying a TV or whatever, "oh yeah, that's just my bank,they just want to make sure it's me..." I just said okay, thanks for helping, bye... His suggestion was terrible for my situation but he did his best to put a good face on what he had to work with.

I'll review my statement and look for any pattern. It is a little odd my first block went on right after the statement printed. Could have also been set off by small purchases, then a large purchase... And maybe there's just nothing I can do about it (other than limit all purchases to a max of ~$1K)...
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:04 am

I don't know exactly how their algorithm works, but I do know that 1K=5K as far as they are concerned. I don't think the blocks have anything to do with when the statements print. The best thing you can do is limit the number of purchases you make of any amount. 5 purchases in 7 days is safe I believe. 5 purchases in 3 or 4 days may lead to a block. Putting dinky $40 gas purchases on the card accelerates your likelihood of getting a block. From what I've seen if purchase A=1k and purchase E=1K, it doesn't matter if purchases B-D are $2 or $5000 each. So if you can, make purchases B-D on another card, so purchase E turns into purchase B, if that makes sense.

I also think the CSR has the ability to alter the system so that these transactions are no longer considered risky. From the little data I have, that's kind of like clearing a gauntlet... you are at risk at that moment (it lead to a 15 minute conversation at CVS the next day where they were told to call WF, and I was warned), but after that encounter, I never had a problem on the card again (that was my first time with this card, I'm an authorized user now).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.