Last edit by: muji
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew
If you don't have a Wells account, you have to apply in person. Oh fun.
Can you open a checking account online?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:11 pm

I've been looking around for cards to (mis)use when my 5x TYP expires, and this looks reasonable for 6 months. But..., my mortgage is with WF. Trying to think if that could potentially be a problem if they don't like manufactured spend, and close the credit card. I know they can't change the terms of the mortgage (a 15 year fixed) but are there other dangers?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054
I've been looking around for cards to (mis)use when my 5x TYP expires, and this looks reasonable for 6 months. But..., my mortgage is with WF. Trying to think if that could potentially be a problem if they don't like manufactured spend, and close the credit card. I know they can't change the terms of the mortgage (a 15 year fixed) but are there other dangers?
Can't think up any dangers. YOu should be good.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:54 pm

I've been thinking of getting the Wells Fargo Rewards Card as well. I would like to use it to make MF purchases at drugstores, gas stations, and grocery stores to get the 5% back. Then after 6 months, I could get one for the SO and do the same thing.

Does anyone have experience wih this card? Do they shut people down for MF? What are some reasonable monthly limits? $10K? $20K?

https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Last edited by CrediPig; Sep 25, 2013 at 1:55 pm Reason: posted card link
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:56 pm

LOL!!! I have been with WF for YEARS! I spend LOTS of money with them and when I got the card I went into my usual MF mode - OOPSS! BAD IDEA!!!

They kept frauding me and I kept fuming at them. Finally, I spoke to the correct person and he asked me the magic words - "is this going to be your usual usage pattern"?? In other words, are you actually going to MF on this card? I said yes, and a few days after that, I have been fine.

So, when you get it, call them and tell them or what ever you do, be happy you got the money and move on.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:53 am

Make sure you have a relationship with them. I went into a branch, got a checking account and was lo and behold pre-approved for this card. only $8K CL and they do NOT like it if you use more than your CL from my experience.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:34 pm

Is cashback unlimited on the 3% college card?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
wells fargo 5% cash back cc

Just noticed this card when logging in to my checking account this morning. 5% back at grocery store, gas stations, and drugstores for 6 months with no limits. Is anyone else using this card and hitting it hard? Shutdown reports or anti-fraud headaches?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by lovenola
Just noticed this card when logging in to my checking account this morning. 5% back at grocery store, gas stations, and drugstores for 6 months with no limits. Is anyone else using this card and hitting it hard? Shutdown reports or anti-fraud headaches?
There is a thread in the general CC rewards forum on this card, I think.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by lovenola
From what I have read, they wont allow you to spend over your CL in any given statement period, regardless if you make multiple payments. Also, CL's tend to be on the low side from WF.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by cashback
From what I have read, they wont allow you to spend over your CL in any given statement period, regardless if you make multiple payments. Also, CL's tend to be on the low side from WF.
One poster on FW reported being able to do go over his CL, so it looks like YMMV
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
What I'd be more interested in is the funding of a checking account with a CC. When you look online at opening a checking account, there's something along the lines of "We make it easy to fund your account" and specifically lists the option to fund your account with a CC.

Anyone have any experience with this? I wonder how a CC company would treat this transaction
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
What I'd be more interested in is the funding of a checking account with a CC. When you look online at opening a checking account, there's something along the lines of "We make it easy to fund your account" and specifically lists the option to fund your account with a CC.

Anyone have any experience with this? I wonder how a CC company would treat this transaction
There are many checking accounts like this. There are initial load limits and sometimes(not often) they do charge them as a CA. There is an entire thread over on FW dedicated to this(I think).
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
FYI, there is an extensive post on this on Fat Wallet. I have the card and a decent sized credit line but there are some problems that are articulated on Fat Wallet. It is actually hard to pay Wells Fargo and get the credit line reinstated after maxing out. I am using a verified checking account to pay online via ACH but it is limited to $5k per month and they put a 5 day hold on it. So I had to send in a paper check. I plan on opening a Wells Fargo checking account to eliminate this problem next month as was going to use a credit card to fund it. I think it is likely to post as a purchase with Chase but will take my chances. I am waiting a few days to see if there is a new Wells Fargo checking account promotion this month. Last month there was a $150 bonus.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota

You can not fund a checking account with a CC if you'd open in a branch.
Don't know about online, but I've heard that it is a huge pain to open a WF account online.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.