Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank Cash+ Changes Redemption Bonus (again in April 2015)

US Bank Cash+ Changes Redemption Bonus (again in April 2015)

Old May 10, 2013, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down US Bank Cash+ Changes Redemption Bonus (again in April 2015)

https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/...signature.html

Earn cash back whenever you use the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card, the card that lets you choose and change your 5% and 2% Cash+ Categories. Plus, you get 1% cash back on everything else with no limit on total cash back earned. See how easy it is to choose more cash back.

Earn 5% cash back on your first $2,000 in net purchases each quarter on the combined two categories you choose like Restaurants or Department Stores.1

Earn 2% cash back on your choice of one everyday category like gas, groceries or drug store purchases.1

Earn 1% cash back on everything else.

Earn a $25 Cash+ Bonus when you redeem $100 or more in a single redemption. Limit of 1 per calendar year.

No limit on total cash back earned.

Make sure you choose your categories each quarter. If you do not choose your categories, all net purchases2 will still earn 1% cash back. Categories are subject to change quarterly.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Thumbs down US Bank Cash+ Changes Redemption Bonus

Got a secure message from US Bank the other day stating that starting July 1, cardholders will only be eligible for one $25 bonus per year when redeeming for $100 in rewards.

To me, this is a significant devaluation of card benefits and takes a card that was far and away better than Chase Freedom back down to the same level. Goodbye, 6.25% cash back for select categories.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:14 pm

Are current members grandfathered in before the 5% category rewards cap?
Old May 15, 2013, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by comptalk
Are current members grandfathered in before the 5% category rewards cap?
On myfico, someone contacted US Bank about this. THe answer is that this impacts everyone beginning July 1st. For new card holders, or those who didn't select their categories yet, the change is immediate.

This card has been downgraded a lot (apart from making it hard to apply except in a branch)!

a) removal of "abused" categories (bill pay, air fare, home improvement)
b) $25 bonus to once a year
c) cap of bonus categories

BCP just did c), doing a and c seems a little harsh, and all three.....

Edit: Forgot
d) Removal of bonus for banking relationship (later this year)

Last edited by silver6054; May 15, 2013 at 6:35 am Reason: Add additional downgrade
Old May 15, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by silver6054
On myfico, someone contacted US Bank about this. THe answer is that this impacts everyone beginning July 1st. For new card holders, or those who didn't select their categories yet, the change is immediate.

This card has been downgraded a lot (apart from making it hard to apply except in a branch)!

a) removal of "abused" categories (bill pay, air fare, home improvement)
b) $25 bonus to once a year
c) cap of bonus categories

BCP just did c), doing a and c seems a little harsh, and all three.....

Edit: Forgot
d) Removal of bonus for banking relationship (later this year)
Wow. I just got the card in February, and now I regret it already. I guess the combo of categories between Cash+ and Freedom is still decent since I am able to choose categories on Cash+ that are not part of the current quarter on Freedom, but everything about this is awful.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I was very displeased and let them know about it on social media. If usage of the card goes down substantially, maybe they will make changes. I'm actually using it now at charlie victor sierra, so I actually put more on it than I did before.
Old May 17, 2013, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I was very displeased and let them know about it on social media. If usage of the card goes down substantially, maybe they will make changes. I'm actually using it now at charlie victor sierra, so I actually put more on it than I did before.
I did that a little but the gains seem too small (unless I am missing a trick!)
Buying $5,000 in VR gives $125 (before July 1st) and costs ~ $40, for a gain of $85, which is OK, but usually takes 5 trips to CVS (no need to disguise it!) and that is too much effort for a gain that isn't really noticeable. With a 5x card and 1.33 multiplier, much more justifiable.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:18 pm

I did that a little but the gains seem too small (unless I am missing a trick!)
Buying $5,000 in VR gives $125 (before July 1st) and costs ~ $40, for a gain of $85, which is OK, but usually takes 5 trips to CVS (no need to disguise it!) and that is too much effort for a gain that isn't really noticeable. With a 5x card and 1.33 multiplier, much more justifiable.
Come on now... Let's not be greedy.. After all, it's those greedy f*cks who ruined bill pay and now category limits for us.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:31 pm

Come on now... Let's not be greedy.. After all, it's those greedy f*cks who ruined bill pay and now category limits for us.
Greed is little to do with it, more an ROI question. If I get $10 per trip to CVS, it's not (for me) really worth considering. I can do better using CVS coupons!
Old May 18, 2013, 12:23 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

How do you get 5% at CVS? Isn't drug store a 2% category on this card?
Old May 18, 2013, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
How do you get 5% at CVS? Isn't drug store a 2% category on this card?
I didn't! The 5x and 1.33 referred to the Citi cards, where I think it is worth doing this. But not with 2%
Old May 18, 2013, 1:22 pm

I didn't! The 5x and 1.33 referred to the Citi cards, where I think it is worth doing this. But not with 2%
Which Citi card?
Old May 18, 2013, 2:33 pm

Which Citi card?
The now unavailable 5x TY Preferred (5x points on gas, groceries and drug stores) along with the Premier for the 1.33 when redeemed for flights
Old May 18, 2013, 4:36 pm

That's too bad, but there was no way unlimited 5% cashback on all these categories was going to last. Too easily abused. It'd be nice if they didn't make the limit so low though.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: Southwest, United, Hilton
For those with the card, were you able to apply online? Seems like it is branch only now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.