Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by thehawk75
So...As said before, they are not going to tell you the reason for closure...Not very easily anyway.
Nor do they have to.... we all know why it was closed... it should hardly be unexpected that charging 160grand in 6 weeks would raise the money laundering flag. Risk management basics.

So, how long do you think it will be until your SS# is unbanned at citi (if ever)? Have you pulled your credit report to see how this/these accounts are reflected there? Curious how they closed them.

While you got 16 months worth of churning done in 1.5 months.. I'm guessing you'll be on the sidelines for a bit of time.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by austin_modern
Nor do they have to.... we all know why it was closed... it should hardly be unexpected that charging 160grand in 6 weeks would raise the money laundering flag. Risk management basics.

So, how long do you think it will be until your SS# is unbanned at citi (if ever)? Have you pulled your credit report to see how this/these accounts are reflected there? Curious how they closed them.

While you got 16 months worth of churning done in 1.5 months.. I'm guessing you'll be on the sidelines for a bit of time.
"Security closure" is a red herring -- Citi knows exactly what's going on, and calling it a security closure is just a convenient excuse so they don't have to use the real reason (which is basically "we don't want to pay out on the deal we advertised").
Old May 7, 2013, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM

Are you done with your soap box yet? Any other 'told you so' / 'shame on you' / 'self important' type of wisdom you want to impart ? Seems like you were just getting started. Would hate to interrupt.

Well, if my 'sitting on the sidelines for a bit of time' makes you feel happy, glad to have helped brighten your day.

ta ta for now.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:15 pm

These are the exact contents of my 'detailed letter that would explain the reason for closure' from the Security Services department:

So...As said before, they are not going to tell you the reason for closure...Not very easily anyway.
I love the "If you or any other authorized user(s) still have a card, please cut it in half and return it to us."

I hope you did that! Very 1980s, in case their security system wasn't able to block purchases on a closed card. (Actually, in 1988 I closed my Amex gold card, and offered to return it. In a shocked voice, the rep said "Oh, we wouldn't ask our Gold card members to do that." But Citi 2013....)
Old May 7, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
I read through this entire thread and my conclusion: the sky isn't falling. And I feel comfortable with the 5k a month that I'm spending on category purchases, along with some other purchases mixed in.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but if anything, the experiences in this thread make me think that I'll be just fine.

Sorry to those that have had adverse actions taken against their accounts.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by silver6054
I love the "If you or any other authorized user(s) still have a card, please cut it in half and return it to us."

I hope you did that! Very 1980s, in case their security system wasn't able to block purchases on a closed card. (Actually, in 1988 I closed my Amex gold card, and offered to return it. In a shocked voice, the rep said "Oh, we wouldn't ask our Gold card members to do that." But Citi 2013....)
lol... I found that amusing as well... despite the contents of the overall letter (being such that it was going 'to list all the detailed reasons for the account closures').
Old May 7, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lol... I found that amusing as well... despite the contents of the overall letter (being such that it was going 'to list all the detailed reasons for the account closures').
I thought the funniest thing was that the letter was signed by "YOUR Security Operations Service Team."

What would you do without that kind of personal assistance?
Old May 7, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by silver6054
Lots of scary stories here! Waiting for "They closed all my cards, and since I had a CitiMortgage, foreclosed on my home"
lmao
Old May 7, 2013, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
my credit line on my new city Pref is $6500.
I plan to do about $20-25k spend on it a month.
I may try to move cr line from other cards I have with citi. I think if the line is higher, things are better. ie, if you spend $20k, have a line that is closer to that ammt. I think I am going moderately low on this all things considered. But there is no way to know what TOO MUCH is. It is when a company just doesn't wanna pay the bonus any more. I have had citi for years. I have gold, a checking acct that earns TY points, the Premier (spend has been made) and an AA card. i also have savings, two checking and an EQ line with them. THIS MAY help but then again it is all subjective.

My spend is primarily VR and GCs on the TY Pref. I use grocery stores and drug stores... because that's what their promos tell me works for the best points! if they shut me down I will sue their arses so fast it will make their heads spin. then again they are used to that.
Old May 7, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH

I would assume the note will simply read "Account closed by creditor" Not too big of an issue except maybe during a thorough manual review of one's credit report (which doesn't happen very often)

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
I read through this entire thread and my conclusion: the sky isn't falling. And I feel comfortable with the 5k a month that I'm spending on category purchases, along with some other purchases mixed in.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but if anything, the experiences in this thread make me think that I'll be just fine.

Sorry to those that have had adverse actions taken against their accounts.
But why risk it at all, at 5k per month the rewards are fairly minimal and yet you are taking the risk that citi gets annoyed w/ you and shuts you down and you're banned for life. Doesn't seem worth it to me
Old May 7, 2013, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
basically it's like this people:

they offered promo x.
we do it.
they kinda have to what they offered.
if the T&Cs change, so be it, but they have to honor what was true BEFORE that change.

There aint nothin in these T&Cs that say one cannot buy a ton of VRs or GCs.

Sure banks can invent a reason to shut anyone down at any time and just do it without reason, but we all know what the reason would be: They feel they are losing money on us--due primarily to their own mistakes not nec ours.

You take them to task on this and make em pay up. Period.

I mean seriously, what IS right? Is it just what someone here THINKS is too much or too little or just right? How can any one person in this thread know that? It is what it is. You can spend what you want. if they nail ya, nail em back. It's the corporate way!

Im going at it until that happens. I am going at it without fear, and with the mindset that this SHOULD work, because that's what Citi told me! Use the card here and here and earn X.
Old May 7, 2013, 4:59 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
my credit line on my new city Pref is $6500.
I plan to do about $20-25k spend on it a month.
I may try to move cr line from other cards I have with citi. I think if the line is higher, things are better. ie, if you spend $20k, have a line that is closer to that ammt. I think I am going moderately low on this all things considered. But there is no way to know what TOO MUCH is. It is when a company just doesn't wanna pay the bonus any more. I have had citi for years. I have gold, a checking acct that earns TY points, the Premier (spend has been made) and an AA card. i also have savings, two checking and an EQ line with them. THIS MAY help but then again it is all subjective.

My spend is primarily VR and GCs on the TY Pref. I use grocery stores and drug stores... because that's what their promos tell me works for the best points! if they shut me down I will sue their arses so fast it will make their heads spin. then again they are used to that.
You might be able to get some adjustment on your CL but you really need to negotiate when you open your account. I tried calling after the fact to add more CL from other cards to it (Mine is currently 10.5k) and I was denied because my account was too new. They said call back in a few months after I establish some history with this account (even though I have other accounts that are much older) and then I can raise my CL.

Just FYI
Old May 7, 2013, 8:09 pm

Hawk, I was not trying to ruffle feathers, only ask my question again since it had gotten buried by a page or two.

I was asking in regards to statement cut because at THAT point you are inundated with TY Points.. NOT beforehand. That's when your account goes from 0 to 100k TYP. That's also when you can TRY to redeem them.

And I was wondering about the suspension part because yes, perhaps they don't tell you until you try to redeem. OR don't tell you at all even after you redeem despite being suspended. Knowing that it's when you log in, I can safely check my accounts daily until they are suspended.

Thank you for answering my questions with enough information to comprehend. I appreciate it and I'm all for you fighting with them to get what they owe you.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
petting a white cat'
This is my favorite quote from the thread.

I have to agree with CMHs thoughts on spend that won't get you shut down.

Still can't get the petted white cat out of my head!
Old May 7, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Happened to me. Definitely bought a lot of VR with this card. Now all Citi credit cards 'closed'.
'a lot' = $160K over 6 weeks. Credit line paid off, repeatedly.
Out of $160K how much op bought VRs

I have no idea how to liquidate $160k VRs in such a short period....

Last edited by supergrandslam; May 7, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.