Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
50,000-mile offer

Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee,
then an additional 30,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days.
  • $89 annual fee, not waived
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • annual companion ticket
  • 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers annually
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...7&cellNumber=5

60,000-mile offer:
Same as the above 50K offer, except
an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days. To see this obscure obscure offers details, scroll down to Welcome Bonus in the T&C.
Print Wikipost

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:15 pm

Newbie general question

Hello,

Just stumbled across this thread while investigating miles and more credit card...please keep flaming to a min

My family and i fly regularly to germany each year, two adults one 6 year old, and starting our next trip an infant. We go every summer to see the inlaws and this year got me thinking about how crappy and expensive itll be soon. Since we're not business fliers or anything we end up always flying coach, but i wanted to look into other things that i might be able to do to soften the blow each summer, either financially or comfort wise.

I guess my biggest question is whether or not given this sort of travel regularity it makes sense to apply for this MM master card? I was interested in the companion ticket each year since that would at least be financial savings but was unclear as to how to ovtain it since it states that the full price ticket must be class H at least and i dont find anyway to specify on the LH site for class H coach ticket specifically. Also we have been flying condor mostly recently because they still offer a childs fare whereas LH doesnt, but i believe that the MM awards miles are directly transferable to Condor....

Any insights or suggestions are welcome. The only other regular travelling that we do is going to Hawaii each year as well, if that would figure into your adivice...

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
This card is very churnable

For those wanting to know if this card is churnable: I'd say yes. I have successfully churned in 2012, 2013, and 2014. In each case I reapplied after closing the previous acct 30 days prior. Sitting on nearly 150K from all three apps: 35K, 50K, and 50K plus spend miles. Planning on churning again sometime at the beginning of next year.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:15 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eknock007
I have successfully churned in 2012, 2013, and 2014. In each case I reapplied after closing the previous acct 30 days prior.
Thanks for that report. But do please remember to use those miles -- keep them too long and they will devalue.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by IMH
Thanks for that report. But do please remember to use those miles -- keep them too long and they will devalue.
At least relatively speaking they have become more valuable with changes in regards to LM, UA, and US. And then you'd expect a German airline to give advance notice.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:05 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer
At least relatively speaking they have become more valuable with changes in regards to LM, UA, and US.
That's true, but they've become less valuable than they were. No more LX F unless you're a M&M SEN, for example. It wouldn't surprise me to see LH F follow.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:49 am

The 50,000 mile offer looks to be back until November 30th, 2014.

http://www.welltraveledmile.com/5000...sign-up-bonus/

Too bad I just got the US Air Mastercard last week...

Last edited by MendoSky; Oct 1, 2014 at 4:45 pm Reason: wrong date
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:42 pm

Hope it stays around till then. Just got a couple of new cards and need to wait a bit.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:06 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
anyone know if this card can be churned, recent datapoints? esp with one opened about 3-4 months ago, still open?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:03 am

Never had this card, but just got the US air card last week, do I need to wait? Or does Barclays allow 2 apps close together?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by FTRox87
anyone know if this card can be churned, recent datapoints? esp with one opened about 3-4 months ago, still open?
I've churned it 3 times, each time after closing the previous account 30 days prior. Most recent, closed an account June 1st and re-applied June 29th, All bonus miles (50K) have been credited my M&M's account.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:27 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by eknock007
I've churned it 3 times, each time after closing the previous account 30 days prior. Most recent, closed an account June 1st and re-applied June 29th, All bonus miles (50K) have been credited my M&M's account.
cool thanks, I'm waiting for a promo to wrap up. and might just have enough time to wait out 30 days after that posts to make the Nov 30th deadline for this offer.

but if it can be done without closing #1, I'd like to hear from folks. I realize after having a cpl barclay's products it becomes incidentally harder to get approved for more, esp with a short history with the bank, so I can fully understand the need to cancel out the card.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Never applied for any Barclay's CC before but have great credit limits on Citi and Amex with AA and Delta yet applied online and was told it has to undergo additional review? Is this standard for them?
Really hoping to get the card asap to buy an airline ticket on Lufthansa.
Should I call them on Monday?
Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Never applied for any Barclay's CC before but have great credit limits on Citi and Amex with AA and Delta yet applied online and was told it has to undergo additional review? Is this standard for them?
Really hoping to get the card asap to buy an airline ticket on Lufthansa.
Should I call them on Monday?
Thanks
I had the same experience and I have excellent credit. I am curious also about their approach and proper response .

Last edited by ridgepath; Oct 4, 2014 at 7:50 pm
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I got the under additional review message when I applied last night. Got an email this morning saying account approved.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Yup, I did too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.