Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
50,000-mile offer

Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee,
then an additional 30,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days.
  • $89 annual fee, not waived
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • annual companion ticket
  • 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers annually
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...7&cellNumber=5

60,000-mile offer:
Same as the above 50K offer, except
an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days. To see this obscure obscure offers details, scroll down to Welcome Bonus in the T&C.
Print Wikipost

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:12 pm

Success after 2nd recon call (and a second pull)! Applied in May and was eventually denied. I currently have a VX and US card with them. Called recon in May and was told that they like my credit, etc. but are unable to extend additional credit to me at this time.

Went on a long vacation and just returned, itching to get more miles and I though I just couldn't let this one go without one more call. Second recon call today and I got a very helpful guy who asked for explanations on why so many apps/cancellations in the past year, but also pointed out that they were happy that I regularly used my VX card. He had to do another credit pull due to the amount of time that had passed, but was able to approve me soon after.

Tried the same thing for my wife who happens to have 3 Barclays cards currently open and was quickly denied for the 2nd time based on the notes previously on file from the 1st recon call.

Oh well, 50% is better than nothing and it'll get us much closer to our next trip to Australia.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:59 am

I was interested in both Barclays Cards, Miles&Mores + Arrival, instantly approved the first, the second one was pending, Called recon and shot down for the second one. Before applying, I had 1 USAirways cancelled this Jan (no churn record on this card). Possible to get 2 cards approved during 1 day? Thanks
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by skagen
I will say this, after getting 3 instant approvals for various airline cards for the wife (turned into a mini-AOR) I tried this one with her and she had a denial listed on the check application status the next day. That has never happened, usually it takes a good 5+ business days before I see an approval or rejection. I wouldn't be suprised if the denial letter cites what you're saying. (I'll make note if it does, otherwise just assume it was b/c of too much new card activity because I bet that's what it is!)
Got denial letter and it was the "you did not respond within the time period specified on the offer." and "A credit bureau report was not used in making this determination."
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:01 am

It seems that if you apply and don't get instantly approved it will be harder to get the card. At that point you roll the dice with either calling recon and having a credit pull or letting the "pending decision" take its 7-10 days at which point you will get a denial letter with no credit pull.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 4:51 pm

Thanks for the nice summary.
So probably good to get one or two Barclay cards..
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I think the lessons here are...

1. If you're going try and game the system, be sure you get your Barclays card(s) early in your app-o-rama history. If you're like many here, and you've been routinely churning chase, citi & amex cards with positive results, then you turn your attention to Barclays, you'll probably be OK getting your first and maybe your second card (of any type) from Barclays, but getting each subsequent card from Barclays will become increasingly unlikely or impossible. Getting a 2nd or 3rd copy of the same kind of Barclays card that you have also seems to crank up the difficulty a bit more.

2. If you've been churning other cards, you can try to "cool it" for a while in hopes of making approval more likely for your next barclay card, but you're probably going to need to be more patient than you think. Sitting it out (or "only getting one or two cards") during a few months doesn't look like it will move Barclays much - they seem to be scrutinizing your record going back 12 or maybe 24 months and counting the cards you've opened. So "sitting it out" may require sitting it out for a full year or more (which many of us find difficult).

3. It just may not be worth it. Yeah, you could check out for 18-24 months and let your credit report completely cool down to the point where Barclays is happy to extend a new card to you, but during that time you would be forgoing a lot of lucrative offers from other issuers. How badly do you really want that Barclays card?

4. Barclays ain't Chase (or Amex or Citi or BoA). They seem to operate quite differently, and you definitely should not expect your previous experience with other issuers to predict how Barclays will behave.

This is not an exact science. There are exceptions (both ways). We're all just making guesses. But I think the above points do seem to be generally true for most people.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Didn't see the answers in this thread. How are Amazon Payment and Chase gift card purchases coded by Barclay's?
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Offer has returned with a December 15, 2013 expiration this time around

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...en&cid=1000390

Same terms as before.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milaohu
Thanks for the nice summary.
So probably good to get one or two Barclay cards..
My wife and I were churning the US Airways card every 18 months or so, and then got the NFL card around x-mas of last year.

We applied for the Arrivals card this summer and got rejected -- too many credit card apps they said. I tried calling for reconsideration, and it was a no-go.

We routinely get approved for all the non-Barclays cards, probably 1 app per month per person.

So now I don't know what to do. Our US Airways cards are gone (cancelled when annual fee was billed) and we only have the NFL cards, which we'll cancel at x-mas. Any downside to trying again for a Barclays card and what are our odds? BTW, I wouldn't apply for this one: the Airways and Arrivals cards are more practical. And it sure doesn't look like Barclays will approve us for all of them!
Old Oct 17, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Can these miles be used for upgrades? If so what are the limitation as far as paid ticket booking codes and so on.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 4:47 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
Can these miles be used for upgrades? If so what are the limitation as far as paid ticket booking codes and so on.
Yes. Details here and here. The short version is that it's not attractive. [Hint: compare (A) miles and base fares required for upgrades with (B) miles required for plain awards.]
Old Oct 17, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
This was the only card that I got declined for in the last 2 years...
ruined my perfect score lol..
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:26 pm

Lufthansa Premier Miles & More Mastercard 50k offer - 3 Free First Class 1-Way Domest

This sounds like a good deal - 50k points good for 3 free 1 way domestic first class tickets. I just applied, never used Lufthansa miles before.

Last edited by mia; Oct 18, 2013 at 8:39 am Reason: Remove referral link. Scroll back to post 157 for direct link.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:27 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by on_the_beach
This sounds like a good deal - 50k points good for 3 free 1 way domestic first class tickets
Yeah, not a bad deal but wait until you see the taxes they charge you...
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by rafi2k6
Originally Posted by on_the_beach
This sounds like a good deal - 50k points good for 3 free 1 way domestic first class tickets
Yeah, not a bad deal but wait until you see the taxes they charge you...
On domestic (U.S.) award tickets?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by guv1976
On domestic (U.S.) award tickets?
Yup. Because you book it through them you have to pay the Miles&More YQ and taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.