Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Difference in MasterCard World and World Elite?

Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
The additional World Elite MC benefits above those offered by the World MC are
  • World Elite Air Program: On certain air carriers, a) upgrades to business class with the purchase of full-fare coach tickets, and b) discounts of 20–30% off the cost of business or coach class tickets.
  • World Elite Cruise Program: Shipboard credits of $150–$500 per room with participating cruise lines.
  • World Elite Tours & Vacations Program: $100–$250 or 5% off specified tour/vacation packages.
  • World Elite Car Rental Program: Discounts of 15-25% when renting from Avis, National, or Sixt. Upon request, cardholders can also receive elite status in these companies' loyalty programs.
  • World Elite Chauffeured Car Service: Discounts of %15-25% on participating limousine services.
  • World Elite Private Jet Program: Discounts with participating private jet charter companies.
See the MasterCard website for a full description of the respective benefits of World and World Elite cards.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers

Is there a difference between a World MasterCard and a World Elite MasterCard? I am particularly interested in any hotel programs/benefits.

FWIW, this relates to two cards I have. One is a Chase CSP World MasterCard, the other is a Chase Ink Bold World Elite MasterCard.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold
Good question. One of my US Air Barclay MC is an Elite but I haven't seen any differences.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
World: http://www.mastercard.us/credit-card-world.html

Elite: http://www.mastercard.us/credit-card-world-elite.html
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA, DL
Basically what I am reading for the Barclay World Elite Mastercard for my benefits for having this one vs. a different master card world elite through the "if your master card says world elite" are not the same.............It seems having other world elite master cards may have other advantages such as upgrades on airlines, (not talking us airways), hotel upgrades, other travel benefits, airport concierge services, world elite chauffered car services, etc., etc., etc.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
One big difference is that Mastercard charges higher merchant fees when you use a World Elite vs. World card. http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchan...d_Criteria.pdf

This is, at least theoretically, to support the assorted "benefits" linked by mia. However, most of those benefits require using their travel agent... so are you really saving anything?

Aside from that, the few items that looked possibly useful were the 1-year free National Executive status and permanent(?) Sixt Platinum.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:09 pm

I'll say this as nicely as possible, World Elite means nothing, the "benefits" are garbage and basically every card is being issued as one. And the "benefits" are tied to the specific card and can vary between products and even issuers. Barclays seems to offer the most barebones package of benefits.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 4:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
One big difference is that Mastercard charges higher merchant fees when you use a World Elite vs. World card. http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchan...d_Criteria.pdf

This is, at least theoretically, to support the assorted "benefits" linked by mia. However, most of those benefits require using their travel agent... so are you really saving anything?

Aside from that, the few items that looked possibly useful were the 1-year free National Executive status and permanent(?) Sixt Platinum.
This is why I've never upgraded my plain Visa/MC to the higher tiers. As long as I have one of each to use when I may need the benefits, there's no reason to hurt the merchant with higher fees just so my Freedom card will have a Signature logo on it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.