Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Why creditcards.com / cardmatch doesn't work for me - anyone else have this problem?

Why creditcards.com / cardmatch doesn't work for me - anyone else have this problem?

Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

A few attractive AMEX offers recently were only available thru that website. However, when I enter my info there, I get a few insultingly useless offers is all: student cards, a card with "up to $300 credit" (woohoo), and so on. Mostly from Capital One. Nothing from AMEX shows up for me. Since it seems to work for many, I'm wondering why I haven't had luck.

I have credit score above 700, about 10 years of credit history, over 10 credit cards, though only one with AMEX (canceled over a year ago). The only strike I can think of is a short relationship with AMEX. Is that why I don't get any AMEX offer in CardMatch? Has anyone new to AMEX gotten these offers thru CardMatch?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:50 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by italdesign
A few attractive AMEX offers recently were only available thru that website. However, when I enter my info there, I get a few insultingly useless offers is all: student cards, a card with "up to $300 credit" (woohoo), and so on. Mostly from Capital One. Nothing from AMEX shows up for me. Since it seems to work for many, I'm wondering why I haven't had luck.

I have credit score above 700, about 10 years of credit history, over 10 credit cards, though only one with AMEX (canceled over a year ago). The only strike I can think of is a short relationship with AMEX. Is that why I don't get any AMEX offer in CardMatch? Has anyone new to AMEX gotten these offers thru CardMatch?
Do you have frozen credit report? Lifelock or any fraud alerts on your CR?
Creditcards.com has to be able to pull a soft on your CR to target promos.

If you have no active AmEX cards, I believe you can check to see if you're targeted for anything:
https://www201.americanexpress.com/s...tePerfectCards
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by chrisj500
Do you have frozen credit report? Lifelock or any fraud alerts on your CR?
Creditcards.com has to be able to pull a soft on your CR to target promos.

If you have no active AmEX cards, I believe you can check to see if you're targeted for anything:
https://www201.americanexpress.com/s...tePerfectCards
I'm not sure if I have frozen CR or fraud alert. I'm quite sure I never set those up myself. But how do I make sure?

Your link is asking for a RSVP code in order to see any offer.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:31 am
Suspended

Tried cardmatch today and was thrilled when I saw I had been matched to the highly sought after "Susan G. Komen" credit card. $100 straight cash bonus after spending $500, yippeeeeeeeeee
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
My guess is that it does target you based on your existing profile. There are probably rules like "750 FICO + 0 Amex cards = good offer, but 6 Amex cards = no offer". Probably much more complicated than that.

I have not seen any change to what is recommended for months. I always get Chase CSP, Slate and Freedom (already have the first two), a couple Cap One cards (already have the Venture) and junk from Simmons and First Premier.

I just decided to do a test to see if it really checks profiles. Both of my dogs have AU cards thanks to Chase bonuses. My German Shepherd also had a Citi card several years ago - think it was one of the Amex TY cards. She was actually getting pre-approved offers at one point so she has a profile out there somewhere.

All of the following were done in new private browser windows to avoid cookies.

First I ran myself with the true last four of my SSN. It returned the cards I have been seeing for months.

I ran myself again with 0000 and got the same results.

Next I ran the GSD. I don't know her SSN , so just used 0000 for the last four. I got the same cards I always get.

Next I ran my Aussie. He has a shorter history since he has only had a Chase United card for about nine months. Again used 0000 for the SSN. His returns were for only the Cap One, Simmons and First Premier cards.

Next I ran Bart Simpson at my address with 0000. It returned a "not found" error.

Then I ran a fake first name with my real last name and it also returned a "not found" error.

My conclusions:
1. It does do an actual soft pull of your credit report.
2. The last four of your SSN does not matter if it can match you by name
3. Credit history has some affect on offers received
4. I need my dog's SSNs so I can get tax breaks.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The website is 100% worthless IMO - the "offers" I received were completely worthless and none from top name issuers. I would not share personal info with this website.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 9:34 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The website is 100% worthless IMO - the "offers" I received were completely worthless and none from top name issuers. I would not share personal info with this website.
It came in handy to get my 100K offer for Amex Plat though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.