Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wedding at Hilton- HHilton AMEX or 2x Citi Trick?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus

So I am getting married in December at a Hilton and I just found this place and I thought what better way to make a honeymoon less expensive but to put it on a credit card and get free points (her father will pay me entirely).

Now I have to ask, should I get the AMEX Surpass or the no fee, or do the 2Browser for the Citi and split the price between the two?

I have a 775 rating, CSP ( Aug) and MileagePlus (Oct), and was wondering what course would be best?

Btw do they both have foreign transaction fees?

Thanks

Jared
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
There is no "best". Everyone has different goals. What are yours? Free flights? Free hotel nights? Prioritize for us please.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:57 pm

December as in next month or December 2013? Where do you want to go and how long?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Getting married next month...

I think I would like free hotel stays because I'm in the Navy and whenever we pull into a port I get a hotel. I would like the Hilton because I could double dip with the MileagePlus but I heard that you need to pick one or the other.

I'm not all into the Churning and counting every little point but the best option would be to get the Surpass (I think) and given that it has the best point earning and I calculated this.

Surpass Amex - 60,000 intro points + 72,000HH points from 12HHpd + 6000MPpd

or could do the 2 X Citi but hmmm I don't know. Still new to this game.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:21 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Why not multiple cards and ask to split the charges? Sounds like you have $6000 to spend, so do an Amex and 2 Citis.

Citi Reserves have no Forex, you get 2 free weekend nights after $2500 spend.

Amex nonSurpass has a 65K bonus, you're better off getting that if you're going to spend less than $15K at Hilton with Amex. At $750 you get 400K HH, another 25K at $3K.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:41 am

Programs: aa

My wife and I got married at a Hilton last year. The event coordinator was able to give us 1 Hilton point for every dollar we spent there on our wedding as well as whatever points/miles we earned on our credit card. So definitely ask your Hilton coordinator for points as well!!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:05 am
Original Poster

^^^Nice I will try that. I am deployed right now and I luckily don't have to coordinate everything but I am thinking long term and how to get the most out of this.

So, the nonSurpass HHilton AMEX, Citi Reserve two browser? That will put me at

CSP, United MP, HHilton Amex reg, Citi Reserve 2X?

Question does the HHilton Bonus Points through the use of the HHilton add to the other bonus points...confusing I mean will I get 10 points for staying + 10 points for using the credit card?

So much to workout, but I need to apply soon if I want to start getting those points ;P
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:16 pm

I think you get 12 pts per $ on Citi and 9 pt per $ on Amex nonSurpass.

Citi gives you gold status so you get 10 pts/$ on the stay plus 25% bonus.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Well thing I don't understand is that with the HHonors it already says that I get 10pts per dollar spent when I go to the rewards section. Is that a hiccup or something? Or is it another system like you have points that count towards your status and the "other" points?

Thanks for the help...really looking at the Amex no-fee 65K, and the Citi 40K, and poss the Citi Reserve...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:54 pm

You're looking at the points you get per $ for the room. That's through any purchase means.

Then you add the points you get from the credit card for spending at a Hilton.

If you get the Reserve and use your Citi card, PER DOLLAR, you'll get:

-10 points for the Hilton stay
- 2.5 points for Gold bonus (you get Gold with Citi Reserve)
- 12 points for paying with Citi Reserve

= 24.5 HHonors points/$. If you value HHonors points at about 0.5 cents each, that's about 12 cents back per dollar spent.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much, that makes so much sense. I think I will push for that

So I will do
-Amex noSurpass-65K - No fee -$750 / I'll use for Christmas Gifts
-Citi Reserve- $95 - Gold Status (24.5X HHilton per dollar) - $2500 / Majority of Wedding will go on this
-Citi HHonors 40K - No fee- $1000 / Deposit will go on this.

Now another question is this...since the Reserve will give me Gold status will use of the other cards give me the same points status?

I would go with SPG but given the fact that I can get these points for free.

Now how's the best way about going to get applications without screwing this up. Thanks.

Jared
Old Nov 22, 2012, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by amolkold
If you get the Reserve and use your Citi card, PER DOLLAR, you'll get:

-10 points for the Hilton stay
- 2.5 points for Gold bonus (you get Gold with Citi Reserve)
- 12 points for paying with Citi Reserve

= 24.5 HHonors points/$. If you value HHonors points at about 0.5 cents each, that's about 12 cents back per dollar spent.
What's missing are the additional 5 points/$ if you choose Points+Points, plus 1000 for the stay if it's a full service Hilton and you choose the Points amenity.

(I personally wouldn't make those two choices but they ARE available for someone who loves points.)
Old Nov 22, 2012, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

I think I am going to do the Point+Miles since I am with United and trying to stack everything up for our honeymoon.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 9:22 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by matsonjb
I think I am going to do the Point+Miles since I am with United and trying to stack everything up for our honeymoon.
Reading back over the thread, it looks like we're talking about both room charges and event charges. Only the charges on your room folio are typically subject to Points+Points or Points+Miles. Event charges that are directly billed are subject to whatever you negotiate.

However, as long as the card transaction is charged by the hotel, the credit card points will happen in any case.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Gotcha.

That's the thing they will throwing the room in with the wedding package, so I am going to still ask for it, and have them do it.

If not I am still going to put the 5K and charge it through that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.