Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Discover card $500 (now $300) bonus for existing users w/ monthly spend requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discover card $500 (now $300) bonus for existing users w/ monthly spend requirement

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SPG gold, PC Plat, CC gold

Received this offer in the mail for Discover cashback bonus card. Pretty good offer for straight cashback. This translates to 2.78%. This is on top of the regular 1% cash back.

I rarely use this card. Used this recently for a big purchase for 5% shopdiscover bonus. I guess this offer was triggered by that.

Below is the text of the offer.

----------------------------------------
You've been selected for an exclusive opportunity to earn an extra $500 cashback bonus when you move more of your regular spending to your Discover card.

Call 1-866-645-1436 to sign up. Then, use your Discover card to make $3,000 in purchases each calendar month from February 1, 2013 through July 31, 2013. That's it-- $500 cashback bonus will be yours.

Earn extra cash rewards without extra spending.
Think about your monthly expenses -- all together, they can add up to $3,000 per month. And remember, your $500 cashback bonus is on top of the cashback bonus you earn every time you use Discover.

Sign up for this exclusive program and enjoy a well-deserved reward with the help of the credit card ranked #1 in customer loyalty for 16 years in a row.
--------------------------------------
Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:24 pm

I did this last year and got my $300. Be sure to note it is CALENDAR month, not statement which is annoying to track.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:20 pm

I just finished this and was just awarded my $500 for $2500 a month for 5 months.

It is pretty easy to track monthly spend on their website.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:55 am

So 6 months ago I read that someone got this offer and I wanted it too...so I called discover and told them I want it and was told that it wasn't available for my account. I escalated the issue up to the head supervisor in the office and she added it manually to my account. Anyways so I completed the spend of 3k/month for 5 months and called in early January to have a supervisor manually credit the 500 CB to my account. It should post next month.

So if you call in and they say it's not available for you account. Simply escalate it until you get to a manager that is willing to notate your account.

Good luck meeting the spend!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: Southwest RR , AA
Good offer but meeting the spend each month might be difficult.

3K each month for 6 months is 18,000 spend on single card with meeting the monthly spend limit monthly is tricky.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton
The "send money" feature counts toward meeting the monthly spend
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by nep301
The "send money" feature counts toward meeting the monthly spend
I was told over the phone that it DOES NOT. Also...I had the feature disabled on my account after I sent myself 500 bucks a month for 3 months in a row

Originally Posted by Addicted69

3K each month for 6 months is 18,000 spend on single card with meeting the monthly spend limit monthly is tricky.

You'd be surprised how easy it is when you're creative
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Addicted69

With AZ payments, target AMEX and bluebird I think it should be OK for me to meet the spend. It will be close even without these alternate methods.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton
Originally Posted by Slybone
I was told over the phone that it DOES NOT. Also...I had the feature disabled on my account after I sent myself 500 bucks a month for 3 months in a row

You'd be surprised how easy it is when you're creative
That's surprising. I have been told many times that the send money feature counts and I have a chat log of an agent saying that as well. I have been sending my limit of $1000 for the past 5 months without any issue. Discover takes away the send money feature for a billing cycle if you change your contact information.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by ayya
With AZ payments, target AMEX and bluebird I think it should be OK for me to meet the spend. It will be close even without these alternate methods.
unless you have a job that lets you expense everything. I was golden except for one month. Even then I didn't use AP because it was being manually reviewed. Had to find another way...

Originally Posted by nep301
That's surprising. I have been told many times that the send money feature counts and I have a chat log of an agent saying that as well. I have been sending my limit of $1000 for the past 5 months without any issue. Discover takes away the send money feature for a billing cycle if you change your contact information.
I've never changed my contact info, sometimes it works, other times I get a message saying that it's currently disabled and the feature is rolling out to new accounts regularly blah blah.

As for it counting, IDK just saying what I was told over the phone because it's treating as a cash advance.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I got this offer too, but I'm not sure why I was targeted. I've never even spent close to this amount on my Discover card in 1 month, let alone 3 months in a row!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:38 am

How come you don't go to a Discover partnered retailer and do cashback? Posts as a purchase and not as cash advanced. I know Sam's Club let's you take out $200

Get cash where you shop the most
Get the cash you need without an extra trip to the ATM.
Avoid fees- No transaction fee. No ATM fee. No bank fee.
Your regular purchase APR applies to the cash you get and there are no hidden fees.

It's easy to get cash over! Here's how
1. Use your Discover Card at checkout
2. Choose how much cash over you'd like over your purchase amount
3. Get your cash and be on your way!

ACME
Albertson's
Army & Air Force Exchange Service
Baker's
Big Y
bigg's
bloom
Bristol Farms
Carr's
Coborn's
Cub Foods
Dillons
Dollar General
Dominick's
Family Fare Supermarkets
Farm Fresh
Food 4 Less
Food Lion
Fred Meyer
Fry's Food Stores
Gelson's
Genuardi's
Gerbes
GetGo
Giant Eagle
Giant-Landover
Glen's Markets
Haggen's
Hannaford
Heinen's
Hornbacher's
Jay C
Jerry's
Jewel-Osco
King Soopers
Kroger
Kum & Go
Lucky
Lunds & Byerly's
Meijer
Owen's
Pavilions
Pay Less
Quality Food Centers
Ralphs
Randalls
Safeway
Sam's Club
Shaw's & Star
Shop 'n Save
Shoppers
Smith's
Sunflower Farmers Market
SuperValu
Sweetbay
Tom Thumb
Turkey Hill
Vons
Walmart
Winn-Dixie

https://www.discover.com/credit-card...CASH_CASH_CKOT

Last edited by jm38750n; Jan 19, 2013 at 5:38 pm
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:39 pm

It is really high but my offer is for 8 months. Feb thru Sept x$3k each month for $500 CBB. Is yours really just 6 months?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nick92
It is really high but my offer is for 8 months. Feb thru Sept x$3k each month for $500 CBB. Is yours really just 6 months?
Yes, mine is for 6 months. Looks like there are several offers.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:39 pm

Edited post above to include cashback stores

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.