Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Paying USA income, property or other taxes with a credit card

Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
There are three services to pay your U.S. federal taxes: IRS Pay Your Taxes by Debit or Credit Card or Digital Wallet

pay1040.com 1.87% fee on credit (lowered from 1.99% on 01/02/2023). $2.50 flat fee on debit.
payUSAtax.com - 1.82% fee on credit (rate updated 01/03/2024 from 1.85%). $2.20 flat fee on debit.
See this thread about payUSAtax customer service. Many people have reported that they never respond to support requests.
ACI Payments, Inc - 1.98% fee on credit. $2.20 flat fee on debit.

Many states also permit online tax payment; check with your state or this list from MasterCard.

The IRS has a system to view payments, and it's good practice to confirm all payments within a short time frame, so that any rare lost payment issue can be disputed.
Be mindful of time zones if paying on the due date as pay1040.com uses CDT timestamp and payusatax.com uses EDT timestamp.

In general, you're allowed 2 payments per processor above per type of tax (annual and quarterlies being 2 different types, for example). They're not billed as cash advance fees. If 6 payments is not enough to pay your bill you can use a service such as plastiq (2.25% fee). If making multiple payments, it is advised you join here to track your payments link , you will be required to give your banking information and will receive a pin via snail mail
(Confirmed 4/2018 in post #429)

Fees are tax-deductible for C-Corps but not individuals (2018 tax reform eliminated "miscellaneous itemized deductions"). The majority of people will not be able to deduct that expense, check with your accountant.

When making multiple payments at or near your credit limit multiple times, allow yourself 3-5 days between payments for the charge to show up on your card and your bank payment to clear. If you wait until April 15th to make payments, you will only be able to clear the first payment.

Best Credit Cards to use/buy cheap points:
- Any credit card to hit minimum spend and achieve signup bonus or spend thresholds.
- BOA Premium Rewards 2.62% Cashback (Card holder needs to be a Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors member)
- Chase INK Premier 2.5% Cashback on purchases over $5k (Points are not transferable to airline or hotel programs)
- Capital One Venture X 2X Cap One Miles/Points (now transfer to most airline partners at 1:1)
- Amex Blue Business Plus 2X Membership Rewards (capped at $50,000 spend per calendar year)
- Chase United Business Club Card, 1.5X United Miles
- BOA Virgin Atlantic World Elite 1.5X Virgin Atlantic Points
- Chase Freedom Unlimited, 1.5X Ultimate Rewards, paired with a premium card (Sapphire Preferred, Sapphire Reserve, INK Preferred, INK Plus)
- Chase INK Unlimited, 1.5X Ultimate Rewards, paired with a premium card (Sapphire Preferred, Sapphire Reserve, INK Preferred, INK Plus)
- Amex Everyday Preferred 1.5X Membership Rewards, (need to make 30 transactions in a month for 50% bonus)
- Amex Business Platinum 1.5X Membership Rewards on purchases over $5K

Big Spend Bonuses:
- Amex Delta Reserve, spend $60k get 30k bonus miles and 30k MQM
- Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve, spend $10k get free weekend night, $40k, Platinum Status
- Chase Southwest, spend $135k get Companion Pass (WN points are redeemed at $.011, @ 1.87% fee, you're essentially buying the companion pass for $847)
- Chase Ritz Carlton Reserve, spend $10k get Gold Status spend $75k get Platinum Status
- Chase World of Hyatt, spend $15k get one free night

Cash Back cards:
Elan Fidelity 2%
Citi Double Cash 2%

Earn Status/Elite qualifying points:
- American, Delta, Alaska, Hyatt

Pre-Funding allowed:
Amex Charge Cards

Pre-Funding not-allowed:
Chase

Quarterly tax due dates: the 15th of April, June, September, January

Print Wikipost

Paying USA income, property or other taxes with a credit card

Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
I also have the AMEX blue for business when the offer was double points for the first $50K and 30% at end of year- effectively 2.3 AMEX points per dollar charged. If you use this in combination with the AMEX business platinum, which gives you 50% points back on the airline of your choice (American for me) or in business/ first, you are essentially getting 4.6% back, with the service fee of 1.87% this is a 2.73% margin!!!!

If you weren't able to get the AMEX blue for business, as mentioned the AMEX everyday preferred if you do enough transactions per month (30?) you get 1.5 MR points per dollar. Coupled with the AMEX business platinum with the logic above, you get 3% back which is still a very nice 1.23% margin.
Those margins will be even higher if you itemize and deduct the CC fees. That law went into effect in April 2009.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:44 pm

Sorry, I disagree. There's a high bar for deducting your income tax credit card payment fees. Basically, it's only the amount over two percent of line 38 (your MAGI). For example, if you have a $200,000 income and pay $80,000 in taxes, your fees at 2% are $1600 (schedule A line 22). But 2% of your MAGI would be $4000 (schedule A line 26)- which is much greater than $1600. The only way you can get over this is if you have a lot of unreimbursed job expenses reported on form 2106 (schedule A line 21). But if you had lots of unreimbused job expenses, then by definition you're (probably) employed and have withholdings- minimizing the amount of taxes you'd need to pay via credit card, which means you wouldn't be able to deduct a whole lot..
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:32 pm

How long does it take for payments to show in your IRS account? I made a couple payments using pay1040 on 04/08. Until mow they are not shown in my account. According to IRS website, it may take 2 days for electronic payments to show in the account. I assume paying using credit card to be considered electronic payment. Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:20 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by junks2010
How long does it take for payments to show in your IRS account? I made a couple payments using pay1040 on 04/08. Until mow they are not shown in my account. According to IRS website, it may take 2 days for electronic payments to show in the account. I assume paying using credit card to be considered electronic payment. Thanks.
Thought they mailed a check on your behalf. That's how their service works for rent / mortgage anyways.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
Thought they mailed a check on your behalf. That's how their service works for rent / mortgage anyways.
OK. That explains it then. Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by helvetic
OK. That explains it then. Thanks.
Are you two sure you're not talking past each other? I don't think one can pay "rent / mortgage" through pay1040. Was helvetic thinking of plastiq?

I believe pay1040 is an electronic payment option - see: https://www.irs.gov/payments & https://www.irs.gov/uac/pay-taxes-by...-or-debit-card
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
Sorry, I disagree. There's a high bar for deducting your income tax credit card payment fees. Basically, it's only the amount over two percent of line 38 (your MAGI). For example, if you have a $200,000 income and pay $80,000 in taxes, your fees at 2% are $1600 (schedule A line 22). But 2% of your MAGI would be $4000 (schedule A line 26)- which is much greater than $1600. The only way you can get over this is if you have a lot of unreimbursed job expenses reported on form 2106 (schedule A line 21). But if you had lots of unreimbused job expenses, then by definition you're (probably) employed and have withholdings- minimizing the amount of taxes you'd need to pay via credit card, which means you wouldn't be able to deduct a whole lot..
I have NO reimbursed job expenses, yet I took the deduction easily.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:05 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bigbuy
I have NO reimbursed job expenses, yet I took the deduction easily.
Guidance from the IRS:

Not everyone who pays the fees will be able to deduct them. Taxpayers first must be eligible to file a Form 1040 Schedule A to itemize their expenses. And, taxpayers must have enough miscellaneous expenses to exceed the 2 percent threshold. These expenses include items such as tax preparation costs, job search expenses and unreimbursed employee expenses.
The deduction is only the amount above 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income. In other words, if you make $50000, only the fees above $1000 would be deductible. If you're deducting more than that, your tax return may be inaccurate.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Are you two sure you're not talking past each other? I don't think one can pay "rent / mortgage" through pay1040. Was helvetic thinking of plastiq?

I believe pay1040 is an electronic payment option - see: https://www.irs.gov/payments & https://www.irs.gov/uac/pay-taxes-by...-or-debit-card
so why is it not shown in my irs account? Have you ever used this service to pay your income taxes? If so, how long did it take for it to show in your account? Thanks.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
so why is it not shown in my irs account? Have you ever used this service to pay your income taxes? If so, how long did it take for it to show in your account? Thanks.
It takes ~1 week from transaction date to post date in IRS account.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by cloudybw
It takes ~1 week from transaction date to post date in IRS account.
Thanks. I will check my account later then.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Guidance from the IRS:

The deduction is only the amount above 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income. In other words, if you make $50000, only the fees above $1000 would be deductible. If you're deducting more than that, your tax return may be inaccurate.
Are you assuming that I had no other deductible misc expenses?
I regret not using "YMMV" in my initial post.

Last edited by bigbuy; Apr 17, 2017 at 2:39 am
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:39 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bigbuy
Are you assuming that I had no other deductible misc expenses?
I regret not using "YMMV" in my initial post.
I think you were being coy with your posts.

Most people cannot reach the 2% limit most years.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Filed my taxes today.

I wanted to pay my taxes with a CC to hit minimum spending on my AMEX SPG card.

But H&R Block program told me to file first and wait until IRS accepts my return. And then pay the IRS via CC? Is that how it works? Since its so close to the deadline, I hope I dont get a penalty.

I know I know, I shouldnt have waited last minute. T.T
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
Filed my taxes today.

I wanted to pay my taxes with a CC to hit minimum spending on my AMEX SPG card.

But H&R Block program told me to file first and wait until IRS accepts my return. And then pay the IRS via CC? Is that how it works? Since its so close to the deadline, I hope I dont get a penalty.

I know I know, I shouldnt have waited last minute. T.T

No don't wait. Are you paying through H&R block? If you use one of the companies on the IRS website they wouldn't know any different.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.