Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Paying USA income, property or other taxes with a credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
There are three services to pay your U.S. federal taxes: IRS Pay Your Taxes by Debit or Credit Card or Digital Wallet

pay1040.com 1.87% fee on credit (lowered from 1.99% on 01/02/2023). $2.50 flat fee on debit.
payUSAtax.com - 1.82% fee on credit (rate updated 01/03/2024 from 1.85%). $2.20 flat fee on debit.
See this thread about payUSAtax customer service. Many people have reported that they never respond to support requests.
ACI Payments, Inc - 1.98% fee on credit. $2.20 flat fee on debit.

Many states also permit online tax payment; check with your state or this list from MasterCard.

The IRS has a system to view payments, and it's good practice to confirm all payments within a short time frame, so that any rare lost payment issue can be disputed.
Be mindful of time zones if paying on the due date as pay1040.com uses CDT timestamp and payusatax.com uses EDT timestamp.

In general, you're allowed 2 payments per processor above per type of tax (annual and quarterlies being 2 different types, for example). They're not billed as cash advance fees. If 6 payments is not enough to pay your bill you can use a service such as plastiq (2.25% fee). If making multiple payments, it is advised you join here to track your payments link , you will be required to give your banking information and will receive a pin via snail mail
(Confirmed 4/2018 in post #429)

Fees are tax-deductible for C-Corps but not individuals (2018 tax reform eliminated "miscellaneous itemized deductions"). The majority of people will not be able to deduct that expense, check with your accountant.

When making multiple payments at or near your credit limit multiple times, allow yourself 3-5 days between payments for the charge to show up on your card and your bank payment to clear. If you wait until April 15th to make payments, you will only be able to clear the first payment.

Best Credit Cards to use/buy cheap points:
- Any credit card to hit minimum spend and achieve signup bonus or spend thresholds.
- BOA Premium Rewards 2.62% Cashback (Card holder needs to be a Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors member)
- Chase INK Premier 2.5% Cashback on purchases over $5k (Points are not transferable to airline or hotel programs)
- Capital One Venture X 2X Cap One Miles/Points (now transfer to most airline partners at 1:1)
- Amex Blue Business Plus 2X Membership Rewards (capped at $50,000 spend per calendar year)
- Chase United Business Club Card, 1.5X United Miles
- BOA Virgin Atlantic World Elite 1.5X Virgin Atlantic Points
- Chase Freedom Unlimited, 1.5X Ultimate Rewards, paired with a premium card (Sapphire Preferred, Sapphire Reserve, INK Preferred, INK Plus)
- Chase INK Unlimited, 1.5X Ultimate Rewards, paired with a premium card (Sapphire Preferred, Sapphire Reserve, INK Preferred, INK Plus)
- Amex Everyday Preferred 1.5X Membership Rewards, (need to make 30 transactions in a month for 50% bonus)
- Amex Business Platinum 1.5X Membership Rewards on purchases over $5K

Big Spend Bonuses:
- Amex Delta Reserve, spend $60k get 30k bonus miles and 30k MQM
- Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve, spend $10k get free weekend night, $40k, Platinum Status
- Chase Southwest, spend $135k get Companion Pass (WN points are redeemed at $.011, @ 1.87% fee, you're essentially buying the companion pass for $847)
- Chase Ritz Carlton Reserve, spend $10k get Gold Status spend $75k get Platinum Status
- Chase World of Hyatt, spend $15k get one free night

Cash Back cards:
Elan Fidelity 2%
Citi Double Cash 2%

Earn Status/Elite qualifying points:
- American, Delta, Alaska, Hyatt

Pre-Funding allowed:
Amex Charge Cards

Pre-Funding not-allowed:
Chase

Quarterly tax due dates: the 15th of April, June, September, January

Print Wikipost

Paying USA income, property or other taxes with a credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:17 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Any thoughts on whether you'd rather use an Amex Everyday Preferred card or the UA Club card for this? They seem to have lowered Amex fees to the same 1.87%.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:23 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
... Amex Everyday Preferred card or the UA Club card for this?
Virgin Atlantic MasterCard also earns 1.5 miles per dollar on general spending, but I wouldn't use any of those. I would use the tax payment(s) to achieve the new account bonus on cards I do not already have.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
i have huge taxes to be paid around 9k...has anyone done this?
I was thinking of using the VGCs to mark up for my new CCs.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
i have huge taxes to be paid around 9k...has anyone done this?
I was thinking of using the VGCs to mark up for my new CCs.
Max of 6 payments per period, generally.

Might be better just to use the credit cards directly and pay the additional fees.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:53 am

Thanks,
ya that's what even my calculations show.
1.87% is not bad would save me just 50 if i use VGCs instead.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:57 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I would use the tax payment(s) to achieve the new account bonus on cards I do not already have.
Exactly what I did with my property taxes in January. Hello Citi Thank You signup point bonus
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks,
ya that's what even my calculations show.
1.87% is not bad would save me just 50 if i use VGCs instead.
As long as you only need to make two payments. If you need more, the next best processor is 1.99%.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Max of 6 payments per period, generally.

Might be better just to use the credit cards directly and pay the additional fees.
And 2 per company as well.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
Tell me if my analysis makes sense:

2 options, UA and MR.

UA Club Card
  • Earns 1.5x (miles per dollar).
  • 1.87% fee to pay for taxes w/ Club card.
  • 1.25cpm cost per mile (1.87 / 1.5)
  • Fee is tax deductible, so is discounted 33% (conservative estimate)
  • 0.83cpm after tax deduction
  • Current TPG UA mile valuation: 1.5cpm.
  • Profit per mile: 0.66cpm

Amex Everyday Preferred
  • Earns 1.5x (points per dollar), when the 50% 30-transactions bonus is applied.
  • 1.87% fee to pay for taxes w/ Club card.
  • 1.25cpm cost per mile (1.87 / 1.5)
  • Fee is tax deductible, so is discounted 33% (conservative estimate)
  • 0.83cpm after tax deduction
  • Current TPG MR point valuation: 1.9cpm.
  • Profit per mile: 1cpm

So, there's an easy way to earn 0.66-1% on tax payments.

Any other cards with good rates that may make this profitable? Any way to earn more than 1x UR?
They're deductible for me if I hit $20k. I talked to my accountant about it and he said I'm not hitting the $20k.

Your points earning is a little higher because of the fee - $1,000 taxes would be $1,018 charge x 1.5, which gives you an additional 27 points, marginal, I know.

I track all my redemption's meticulously. I don't give a rat's ... what TPG says the points are worth, it matters what YOU redeem them for. Same for first class. The ticket might be $2,000 but in reality you would only pay $800 for it. So when I book F using points I determine what I realistically would be willing to pay (substantially less) and put that value in my spreadsheet.

I've settled on the UA Club card for this use - I am generating mid six figure of points this way. UA is my go to airline because of my location and their route network. Amex, for me, doesn't have good transfer partners. I think you really need to settle on what you're going to use the points for. If you're not so settled then Amex is the way to go, you can at least transfer your points to a multitude of airlines.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:47 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
They're deductible for me if I hit $20k. I talked to my accountant about it and he said I'm not hitting the $20k.

Your points earning is a little higher because of the fee - $1,000 taxes would be $1,018 charge x 1.5, which gives you an additional 27 points, marginal, I know.

I track all my redemption's meticulously. I don't give a rat's ... what TPG says the points are worth, it matters what YOU redeem them for. Same for first class. The ticket might be $2,000 but in reality you would only pay $800 for it. So when I book F using points I determine what I realistically would be willing to pay (substantially less) and put that value in my spreadsheet.

I've settled on the UA Club card for this use - I am generating mid six figure of points this way. UA is my go to airline because of my location and their route network. Amex, for me, doesn't have good transfer partners. I think you really need to settle on what you're going to use the points for. If you're not so settled then Amex is the way to go, you can at least transfer your points to a multitude of airlines.
Yup, this make sense. For what it's worth, I don't really care what TPG values his points at either… but figured it's a nice baseline that applies to everyone. I have my personal valuation for all the points I use frequently, and only use the blogs' valuations for the more exotic programs where I don't have any personal idea of what it's worth.

Ended up paying on the EDP. I should be getting the deduction, but even if I don't, I'm mostly fine with buying at a rate of 1.25. Now I'm just excited for the Freedom Unlimited; because that's a currency I like a lot more!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:57 am

So I decided to create a wiki post for this thread as I am getting to be a semi-pro at this. Half way through writing it I found this post from Frequent Miler two days ago here that is very detailed. I'm not sure if we are allowed to post bloggers link in the wiki so I didn't. It does belong there.

I'm not a 100% on what I wrote about the tax deduction on the fee. It is based on a 15 minute conversation with my accountant & a blend of the FM post. Certainly someone on this board can re-write it better than I did.

Also if someone is using debit cards please update. I know the Suntrust card no longer works. I believe there is a Alaska debit card that might work?

Same with MS, I don't do it, but that certainly would make this a cheaper option. Anyone good at it please add to wiki!

Last edited by Mbcijim10; Mar 18, 2016 at 9:16 am
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:04 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator observation

Thank you for your work on the Wikipost.

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
...I'm not sure if we are allowed to post bloggers link in the wiki so I didn't. It does belong there.
You may post a link to someone else's blog in a Wikipost, the same as in any other post, subject to these rules. The important part is:

FlyerTalk is here for the purpose of sharing meaningful information. Don't simply post a link by itself to another source, such as an article or blog. Posts containing such links should contain enough information so as to be contributive to FlyerTalk itself.
This means you need to include a high level summary of the information on the other site to help the reader determine whether to click the link.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 3:04 pm

Has anyone tried MO to pay IRS?
It has something on the website

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Pay-...or-Money-Order
Old Mar 24, 2016, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Has anyone tried MO to pay IRS?
It has something on the website
I'm sure people have, but this forum is about CC.

Here's the page for that.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
I'm sure people have, but this forum is about CC.

Here's the page for that.
Well I was trying to do the same -> Buying Simon VGC and use them to pay off IRS instead of paying 1.87%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.