Paying USA income, property or other taxes with a credit card

Subscribe
So when can you start paying estimate for 2013?
Quote: So when can you start paying estimate for 2013?
That ship has sailed. The final quarterly estimate was due 1/15/14.
Quote: That ship has sailed. The final quarterly estimate was due 1/15/14.
Sorry. I meant 2014 estimate.
Quote: Sorry. I meant 2014 estimate.
First one is due 4/15/14, but I'm fairly sure you can pay anytime between now and then.
Quote: Sorry. I meant 2014 estimate.
From PayUSATax.com:

You cannot pay Form 1040 Estimated Taxes now. You can make a payment from March 1st onwards.

Same at OfficialPayments.com and Pay1040.com
Multiple payments to irs
Is there a way to avoid the two payments per provider per quarter limit?
Quote: Is there a way to avoid the two payments per provider per quarter limit?
http://boardingarea.com/frequentmile...-paying-taxes/

That's an older post by Frequent Miler, so the techniques for earning 5x that he discusses are now kaput, but if you read down you will find the following:

Another option was presented to me by Official Payment Corporation. They told me the following in writing (email writing, that is):

If you need to make more than two payments for each quarter, please contact Official Payments customer service at (800) 487-4567 and an associate will be able to assist with processing additional payments.

I called their phone number to confirm this. Could I really make more than two 1040-ES payments per quarter by doing so over the phone? “Yes, no problem,” I was told. Interesting. Official Payment Corporation charges 46 cents more than payUSAtax per debit transaction ($3.95 vs. $3.49), but offers a way to make as many payments as you’d like.

FM is discussing using VISA debit cards to make estimated tax payments. VISA debit cards are still around (such as the OneVanilla VISA gift card), usually in denominations up to $500. But I have no idea if Official Payments would accept multiple payments using larger denomination instruments than a $500 VISA debit card.

By the way, today is March 1, so it is now possible to make 2014 Estimated Tax payments online.
Quote: Applying an overpayment just moves MS forward.

In my mind, it's fine to overpay quarterly estimates a bit and then get a refund when you file the return. I even did back before MS just to steer clear of penalties (by check!).
I did this by accident a few quarters ago, and it turned into a hassle. There are so much more efficient ways of MS-ing that I'd be reluctant to intentionally use this method for MS, minimum spend, or otherwise.
Am I overlooking options?
Here's what I see as available and why it doesn't work for me. I'd appreciate hearing, here or by PM, any options I'm overlooking or misunderstandings I have. TIA.

CC - too expensive.
ST - shut me down.
BofA Alaska - no credit for taxes.
UFB - 1500 daily max, so a little expensive for 750 AA points.
VISA GCs - 500 limit makes this a hassle, assuming it's scalable by phoning

xlax
Quote: Here's what I see as available and why it doesn't work for me. I'd appreciate hearing, here or by PM, any options I'm overlooking or misunderstandings I have. TIA.

CC - too expensive.
ST - shut me down.
BofA Alaska - no credit for taxes.
UFB - 1500 daily max, so a little expensive for 750 AA points.
VISA GCs - 500 limit makes this a hassle, assuming it's scalable by phoning

xlax
Forgot one - BB/serve (and their ugly non-AmEx stepsisters)
My vaniila debit used to be a good option. I was able to use it to turn vrs into tax payments every quarter, and while others got shut down left and right, I seemed to be fine using it only for tax payments. I was able to do more than 2 per quarter calling payusatax. But, alas, something has changed at my vanilla debit and I got shut down this month for not very much activity at all.

I think at this point the best option is gift cards, but again I can see where those with large bills would be unhappy about multiple $500 phone calls.
http://boardingarea.com/frequentmile...-credit-cards/

I find this post useful this time of year.
I tried calling Official Payments to make more than two payments in same quarter, but was told no. Anyone have recent success?
When filing your taxes in turbotax do you just choose pay by mail and then once you are done go to a website like paytaxusa and then use a debit like the Myvanilla which is loaded with enough VR's to cover your tax bill?
Should I use a CC to pay my taxes, and if so, which one?
I am getting ready to do my tax return and I anticipate a fairly significant liability ($20K - $30K). I am considering using my Chase SWA card, or possibly my Chase UA card, to pay this balance. I have a few questions that I am hoping y'all can answer for me:

Assuming a $30K liability, does anyone know the fee that I will need to pay when using a credit card?

If I use my SWA card, will the spend count toward CP eligibility (I have the personal Premier card)?

Alternatively, if I use the UA card I will get 45,000 miles (I have the Club card which gives me 1.5 miles per dollar spent). Will this be a better option?

I also have the SPG Amex, Amex Platinum, FIA Amex (2% CB), Discover, and Chase Freedom cards. Should I consider using one of these instead?

My initial thought is to use the SWA card and also shift most of my other spending to that card to try for CP eligibility. It would be tight, but I think I could get there without actually flying on WN at all this year. This will only work if all CC spending qualifies for CP eligibility. I believe it does, but please correct me if I am wrong.
5  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  25