Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:25 pm

Tried to call recon but the 866-369-1283 number no longer works. Is there another Barclays Recon number to call?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by drdrew450
I was able to downgrade my card to the no annual fee arrival version and keep my points, you lose any points that are not on your statement, so do this right after your statement hits.

my wife opened the arrival as well, so no need for me to pay the AF.
Did they try to make any offers besides downgrading to the standard version? I am curious about bonus miles/AF waive when I call later this month about my Arrival.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:30 am

Data point. Two days after I covered the $1000 initial spend requirement I got the 40K points credited to my account. No waiting for statement - very quick.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:36 pm

One Year Experience with the Barclaycard Arrival

Originally Posted by flyer4512
You have had the Arrival card a year ?
I have had the Arrival card a year, but is the no annual fee version that came out first. I had a target offer for 40K bonus points on that. I intend to hold on to this card for the long term, and am considering whether Barclays might entertain an application for the annual fee version of the Arrival as well. In my view, that is the more lucrative version of the card.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Nick92
Did they try to make any offers besides downgrading to the standard version? I am curious about bonus miles/AF waive when I call later this month about my Arrival.
Ive had it 11 months or so, I asked about a bonus and the rep said no, I didnt push it, I just wanted to keep my points.

I redeemed 10000 right when I got off the phone, with downgrading, so the points were being "moved" to the new card...the credit posted and the points were deducted but then the next day my points were back, and my new account number showed...you may be able to abuse this.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:04 pm

Is 866-408-4064 the correct recon number for Barclays?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:34 pm

Anyone been shutdown for MS? Considering just using this for AP and Serve loads now that I have it.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: SW, UA, IHG Plat, Hilton, Marriott
Datapoint: Used my wife's card to purchase a JR Pass for rail travel in Japan. Showed up as tourist attraction charge so called in to Barclays and asked if they could do anything to make it show up as travel charge since it is really a travel expense associated to transportation. CSR said they'd put in a request and it'd take about 8 days to go through. Today I see that my 40k points were redeemed successfully towards that charge.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Nick92
I called to cancel and was offered an annual fee waiver.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by nolimit186
Datapoint: Used my wife's card to purchase a JR Pass for rail travel in Japan. Showed up as tourist attraction charge so called in to Barclays and asked if they could do anything to make it show up as travel charge since it is really a travel expense associated to transportation. CSR said they'd put in a request and it'd take about 8 days to go through. Today I see that my 40k points were redeemed successfully towards that charge.
Great news. I'm buying JR pass for next month trip to Japan. Now I know which cc to use. Thanks for the datapoint.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
I thought a whale watching tour bought over the phone might come up as a travel agency. It didn't.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I added NYC MTA Subway cards to the wiki as I have been able to redeem against some $30 weekly unlimited passes here in NYC.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
Is 866-408-4064 the correct recon number for Barclays?
Anyone?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superorb
Anyone?
Sure sounds like no one knows.

You might want to call the regular customer service number at Barclays Arrival and see if they can point you in the right direction. (They likely can't, since their support is truly terrible.)

Here's the number off my card: 866-558-1107
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today I did a pair of Barclays card applications in the following sequence:

1) US Airways' 30K first year fee waived. Instant approval.

20 min later,

2) Arrival card. Got a deferred message for decision in 10 days.

How are people's experience on the Deferred? Does Barclays actually have human looks into the deferred applications or let the system does it like Citi/Chase/BofA often do, and the approvals (or denials) eventually would work its way thru without real human intervention?

I dont want to call Barclays recon because I still have an existing US card opened in Nov when today the new US card has gotten instant approval. (twice the CL too).

I might even need to close the older US card to prevent Barclays to close the new one on me...

Experiences and suggestions welcome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.