FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1415338-barclays-arrival-arrival-cards-1-1-2-2-travel-credits.html)

dw Dec 8, 2012 11:05 am

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

www.barclaycardarrival.com

Two new cards from Barclaycard, very similar to the CapitalOne Venture cards as well as the BofA Travel Rewards Cards.

On both cards, you can redeem points for a number of things, but if you use your points for statement credits to be applied against travel purchases, you get 10% of the points back. Both cards have no foreign transaction fees.

The no annual fee version accrues 1 point per dollar charged, and 2 points per dollar charged for travel and dining. Taking the 10% rebate into consideration, when redeemed for credits against travel purchases, you would get 1.1% back for general purchases and 2.2% back for travel and dining.

The annual fee version comes with a $89 annual fee, but you get 2 points per every dollar charged, which when redeemed for credits against travel purchases (and taking into consideration the 10% rebate), would get you 2.2% back.

philemer Dec 8, 2012 7:25 pm

10K or 20K miles bonus doesn't entice me. Thank you for posting though. Someone may jump on it.

Lazbum Dec 11, 2012 12:22 pm

Long time lurker and finally decided to make an account. I just wanted to let everyone know that I have received 2 targeted offers for this card. One was 20k points and one was 30k. Both offers are for the no annual fee version, plus you get 1 year of trippit pro for free. I'll be calling later today to apply to see if I can get the 20k offer matched to the 30k. Be on the lookout for the offers.

jashsayani Dec 12, 2012 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Lazbum (Post 19837161)
Long time lurker and finally decided to make an account. I just wanted to let everyone know that I have received 2 targeted offers for this card. One was 20k points and one was 30k. Both offers are for the no annual fee version, plus you get 1 year of trippit pro for free. I'll be calling later today to apply to see if I can get the 20k offer matched to the 30k. Be on the lookout for the offers.

Thanks for your post. I am thinking of applying for the arrival card as its very similar to Chase Sapphire. I keep getting offers from Barclays about Lufthansa cards and US Airline cards as I have those frequent flier cards. If I get a 20K or 30K invitation for arrival, I'll take it.

Also, does it make sense to choose the one with an annual fee and get more bonus miles, get 2x points for the first year on everything and then downgrade to the no annual fee arrival card?

emmasensei Dec 14, 2012 2:06 pm

New CARD! Barclay card arrive

My first post ever. Be gentle!

Got something in the mail today. Barclaycard Arrive. 2x miles on all purchases. 40,000 bonus miles after 1k spend, which equates to a $400 statement credit. 10% extra miles when you redeem for travel. I am hysterically excited about it!

Link from the ad: http://barclaycardarrival.com/1423

mia Dec 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Moderator action

emmasensei's post has been appended to the established thread. Note that the name of the product is "Barclaycard Arrival", "Arrive" seems to be the marketing slogan.

40,000 is a better offer than reported in the original post, but I do not see this mentioned on the linked page.

jashsayani Dec 14, 2012 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by emmasensei (Post 19857676)

Got something in the mail today. Barclaycard Arrive. 2x miles on all purchases. 40,000 bonus miles after 1k spend, which equates to a $400 statement credit. 10% extra miles when you redeem for travel. I am hysterically excited about it!

That's for the annual fee card. But still, 40K matches the Sapphire Preferred welcome offer. It would be worth accepting the offer and then downgrading after a year.

I plan on waiting for a month before applying as Barclays is getting started with this card, so they would change the welcome bonus and send out marketing blasts in the coming months...

mnscout Dec 14, 2012 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 19857738)
emmasensei's post has been appended to the established thread. Note that the name of the product is "Barclaycard Arrival", "Arrive" seems to be the marketing slogan.

40,000 is a better offer than reported in the original post, but I do not see this mentioned on the linked page.

Check the T&C, it's there. Barclays loves hiding good stuff, why--I have no idea.

mnscout Dec 14, 2012 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by emmasensei (Post 19857676)

OK, I'll be gentle. That's a great first post. I would use the word awesome but since you asked...:D

mnscout Dec 15, 2012 12:14 am

Originally Posted by jashsayani (Post 19859606)
That's for the annual fee card. But still, 40K matches the Sapphire Preferred welcome offer. It would be worth accepting the offer and then downgrading after a year.

I plan on waiting for a month before applying as Barclays is getting started with this card, so they would change the welcome bonus and send out marketing blasts in the coming months...

40K only matches the CSP bonus if you redeem CSP bonus for cash, which you shouldn't because you can get a much better value from it. Besides, this card will not net you $400; it will only net you $331 after $1K spend (400+20-89). Of course, if you do redeem for travel and actively use the card, then the math gets better with 10% refund. It's a solid offer. I normally don't bother when the bonus is less than $400, but Barclays pulls TU in my neck of the woods, so it's almost free cash anyway (to me at least).

mia Dec 15, 2012 6:01 am

Originally Posted by mnscout (Post 19860163)
Check the T&C,

Thank you. Clicking the Terms & Conditions link in Internet Explorer produces an empty box, but using Chrome I can see the offer. However, clicking the Apply Now button elicits a request for a Personal ID Code which suggests the offer is (widely) targeted.

I did receive a postal offer which includes a code. It's 20,000 points for the no annual fee version. but it appears that I can use that code with the 40.000 point $89 fee offer.

Ragnarok Dec 15, 2012 11:08 pm

For on-going domestic use, the Fidelity AMEX will be a better card as it is 2% back, no annual fee.

Your spend on the card has to be higher than $44,500/ year to make up for the $89 annual fee with the extra 0.2% back.

But the sign-up bonus wouldn't hurt :-)
Especially coming from a non-Chase / AMEX card

royc Jan 11, 2013 2:51 pm

barclaycard

just got an offer for a barclaycard mastercard for40000 miles with no annual fee and only 1500 spend in 3 months. is this something I should consider?

wcj Jan 11, 2013 2:59 pm

You don't say what kind of miles, but Im betting US Airways and then the answer is no, go to this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...5k-benies.html

Oh, and welcome to FT! Kind of funny to say that to someone with a join date two years before mine ;)

kelly0726 Jan 11, 2013 3:39 pm

I got an offer for barclay arrival card today. It says mile can be redeemed on any airline. My offer was 50,000 for 1000 spend in 3 months.