Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
I had a low intro CL too but I called immediately and they upped it for me, no problem.
No extra credit inquiry with that?

Mine is $10k, but missus only has $5K. I'd like to raise her limit, but don't wanna extra inquiry for her.

Thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MaineCoon
No extra credit inquiry with that?

Mine is $10k, but missus only has $5K. I'd like to raise her limit, but don't wanna extra inquiry for her.

Thanks.
If you do within I think 30 days of getting a new card, no there is no extra pull. They use the info from when you applied. I'm not sure of the exact time window, so I normally do it as soon as I am approved or as soon as I receive the card.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
You get points for a charge as soon as a charge posts to your acct and you can't redeem until it posts. It's very easy on Barclay to see how many points each transaction receives by looking at the card activity on the desktop website. I suggest checking your personal calculated points against that.
I have added it up from the activity, that's what doesn't add up correctly. I originally made a $3**.** purchase, got points for it, redeemed points for it a few days later. Now looking back my points are off by about 600 from where they should be accounting for all purchases, returns and 10% travel bonus.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:27 am

If you do within I think 30 days of getting a new card, no there is no extra pull. They use the info from when you applied. I'm not sure of the exact time window, so I normally do it as soon as I am approved or as soon as I receive the card.
I just got off the phone with Barclay. I was approved 1/17/14 and was told a hard pull WOULD be required to increase my credit limit. My current CL is $12,500 (TU FICO of 806), which I understand is toward the high end for Barclay (though Chase gave me $22k) so maybe if they had originally granted me a lower CL they might have done the increase without the hard pull.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by aw82
I just got off the phone with Barclay. I was approved 1/17/14 and was told a hard pull WOULD be required to increase my credit limit. My current CL is $12,500 (TU FICO of 806), which I understand is toward the high end for Barclay (though Chase gave me $22k) so maybe if they had originally granted me a lower CL they might have done the increase without the hard pull.
Hmm that's interesting. I definitely never saw an extra pull on my credit report after doing a limit increase. But glad that you confirmed and was able to get a higher limit.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by TheChallenge
I have added it up from the activity, that's what doesn't add up correctly. I originally made a $3**.** purchase, got points for it, redeemed points for it a few days later. Now looking back my points are off by about 600 from where they should be accounting for all purchases, returns and 10% travel bonus.
Then I would definitely contact CSR. This definitely should not happen. They will walk you through it all and credit you if need be. I had to call once about a different card, which turned out to be my error. Please post back when you get it resolved.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Here is what I've successfully redeemed points for:

1) Airfare on GOL for World Cup

2) Supershuttle in various states

3) Taxes on award ticket airfare

Here is what I've not successfully redeemed for:

1) AMTRAK tickets

2) Subway credit & taxis

I use my hotel CCs for those because the points are >> Arrival

I'm surprised the supershuttle worked, but whatever. I am going to pump as many points as I can onto the card and use it for hotels for the World Cup 2014 in Brazil

Has anyone successfully redeemed for car rentals?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
data points:

Instant approval for this w/ 10K CL.
5 inquiries past 6 months (all on EXP) and 8 new accounts opened in 2013 (1 biz). Barclays website has my FICO at 806.
I have the US Air card (1/13/13) - minimal use after first spend but I did dust it off last month in anticipation of this app
I don't really do big AoAs - mostly do 1 app/month skipping the occasional month if no good offers.

Was going to wait until after 2/20 when 2 of the inquiries would fall to > 6 mos but decided to just go for it now as I'm going to cancel the US Air now that the AF and 10K annual bonus miles have posted. I wanted to get this one approved before calling to cancel. Hoping to get the US Air at least one more time before it goes away.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by aw82
yeah, that's what I thought.
every time I wanted CL increase they wanted to do a hard pull.

Other banks, not Barclays.

I have to skip for now.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by stupidzbu

did not do myself yet, but pretty sure car rentals are legit.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:00 pm

Barclaycard Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% back)

I applied for this card and got 10k credit line. the next day I called and asked for a limit increase. they asked what want to try. I said 25k and they said they have to do a hard pull. I agreed to hard pull and got my 25k limit. I checked my credit report and only 1 hard pull shows not two
Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:10 pm

Has anyone applied for a 2nd arrival card less than 6 months of relationship with barclay?

I would like to get a 2nd card, or at least a CL higher that 12.5k.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Originally Posted by Splittin' Aces
I think you can purchase Disney tickets on Travelocity and/or Expedia (I did a few years back). I'm not sure how the vendor will be coded on your statement though.
Great idea - it does look like Travelocity & Orbitz are options. I might just have to take the risk that it posts properly! Anyone know for sure?

Orbitz actually has a buy 3 days of "park hopper" tickets & get 2 days free promo going right now if anyone else might be thinking of a trip...

Last edited by arizonawildcat; Feb 15, 2014 at 6:32 am
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:58 am

Hmm that's interesting. I definitely never saw an extra pull on my credit report after doing a limit increase. But glad that you confirmed and was able to get a higher limit.

Yes, some banks will do a pull (sadly without telling you first) when you request for a credit line increase. Not 100% sure but I think Cap One did this to me once in the past.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: I'll take whatever points I can get...
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
Here is what I've successfully redeemed points for:
Yes I redeemed for rental car successfully.

Originally Posted by xoxx
Has anyone applied for a 2nd arrival card less than 6 months of relationship with barclay?

I would like to get a 2nd card, or at least a CL higher that 12.5k.
I'm also wondering the same. Anyone successfully applied for a second one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.