Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

royc's question has been appended to the thread discussing Barclays Arrival card. Reviewing the preceding posts will clarify that the "miles" are actually "points" with a fixed monetary value.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:50 pm

Thumbs up Barclaycard "Arrival" Offer Good Deal

I received a targeted offer for this card and applied.

The offer was for 40,000 miles/points upon spending $500 in first 3 months with no annual fee. No foreign transaction fees either.

As others have reported, travel expenses and restaurants earn 2 points. Travel includes rail, airplane, hotel, and car rental. Everything else earns 1 point.

The agency I talked to said that Priceline and Hotwire expenses would count as travel. I am skeptical -- we will see.

Points can be redeemed for statement credit and 10% of points are rebated back into the account if credited toward travel expenses.

This seemed too good to be true -- the bank is giving away $400 after spending $500 in 3 months and there is no annual fee -- ever??

Once my account was approved I learned the details of the redemption program.

If points are redeemed (in $25 increments) for statement credit, they are worth 0.5 cents -- so the 40,000 miles/points is worth $200. Not $400 as I had been led to believe. The points can also be redeemed for various dining, retail, or travel gift cards at the same value.

To receive the full $400 value, the points must be assigned to specific travel charges on your statement.

Still, not a bad deal considering.

If you spend the full $500 initial spend requirement on travel or restaurants, you would have $41,000 miles/points.

These could be applied to repay travel expenses on the card for about $400 worth of expenses. With a 10 percent rebate in points, you would still have 4000 + 1000 = 5000 points in the account. This would be enough for another $50 statement credit toward travel expenses. And you would be awarded 500 points back into your account.

The points don't expire as long as you keep the account open -- and since there is no annual fee, there is no reason to close the account.

So, the initial bonus might possibly be valued at as much as $455 worth of travel.

I am sure points redemption will not be completely straightforward; this example is the best case scenario. Even if the value falls far short -- still not a bad deal.

I have no prior experience dealing with this Barclays Bank or their credit products.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:58 pm

Was the annual fee waived for first year? My wife got an offer today for 40,000 for 1000 spend in 3 months with first year fee of $89 waived.

Originally Posted by kelly0726
I got an offer for barclay arrival card today. It says mile can be redeemed on any airline. My offer was 50,000 for 1000 spend in 3 months.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: HH diamond
Got a no-fee 40K points after $500 spend offer. Seriously considering this.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by restonva
If points are redeemed (in $25 increments) for statement credit, they are worth 0.5 cents -- so the 40,000 miles/points is worth $200. Not $400 as I had been led to believe. The points can also be redeemed for various dining, retail, or travel gift cards at the same value.

To receive the full $400 value, the points must be assigned to specific travel charges on your statement.
Thanks for that. GF got a targeted offer of $1k spend for 40k points (no annual fee version), may not bite if this isn't like the NFL card that the statement credit can be applied to anything... although for anyone looking to get some gift cards from AA or some other airline/travel partner that codes their transactions correctly this could be a good deal... or just do artificial spend and wait for a good use of the points later on...

That specific offer is http://barclaycardarrival.com/1816 since others mentioned the code can be 'reused' within different offers.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Got a no-fee 40K points after $500 spend offer. Seriously considering this.
I would totally take that offer. I am waiting for a similar offer form them...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by kelly0726
I got an offer for barclay arrival card today. It says mile can be redeemed on any airline. My offer was 50,000 for 1000 spend in 3 months.
Does anyone have a link for this one? I have an offer code I'd like to use on this one.

Also does anyone know if I apply for this and then the Barclays US Airways on the same day will it result in one or 2 credit pulls? I'm referring to this card:
http://www.mostmiles.com/apply/Landi...cellNumber=163
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:56 am

http://barclaycardarrival.com/1829
The above link is the target offer for no annual fee version, 40,000 miles after $500 spending in 90 days. Anyone cares to share the 50,000 miles with $1000 spending target link?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by junkreceiver
http://barclaycardarrival.com/1829
The above link is the target offer for no annual fee version, 40,000 miles after $500 spending in 90 days. Anyone cares to share the 50,000 miles with $1000 spending target link?
What you're looking for came in my mail today...

50,000 bonus for $1,000 in 90 days / $89 AF waived first year
2X all purchases

http://barclaycardarrival.com/4911
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by dkfd3s
What you're looking for came in my mail today...

50,000 bonus for $1,000 in 90 days / $89 AF waived first year
2X all purchases

http://barclaycardarrival.com/4911
Thanks. But sadly I can no longer use my personal ID for this offer because I've already used it to apply for the 40K miles/no annual fee targeted offer. I got the following error message:

The Personal ID entered is already in use. Please re-enter your Personal ID as it appears on the offer you received in the mail.

It seems like that if you did not use your personal ID, you'd be able to apply the same personal ID for a better offer. But you can't use the same ID twice. Well, maybe when I receive my card and call to activate, I can try talk them to match this offer?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by junkreceiver
It seems like that if you did not use your personal ID, you'd be able to apply the same personal ID for a better offer. But you can't use the same ID twice. Well, maybe when I receive my card and call to activate, I can try talk them to match this offer?
YES. This worked for me.

Super-smooth approval with a score in the high 700s.

I hope it's easy to downgrade once the first year is up. Anyone have experience doing product conversions with Barclays? Actually it looks like there are two different reward programs sharing the same card. I hope that makes the process simpler.

Also, I wasn't able to get the application page showing 50k after $1k spend to print correctly. I did however save the terms page. If you're able to print the application page (blank of course), please PM me.

Last edited by Vapno; Feb 4, 2013 at 11:43 am
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:52 am

I was interested in this card but don't think I have a personal ID code. How do I get one?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Vapno
YES. This worked for me.

Super-smooth approval with a score in the high 700s.

I hope it's easy to downgrade once the first year is up. Anyone have experience doing product conversions with Barclays? Actually it looks like there are two different reward programs sharing the same card. I hope that makes the process simpler.

Also, I wasn't able to get the application page showing 50k after $1k spend to print correctly. I did however save the terms page. If you're able to print the application page (blank of course), please PM me.
I did not print the 50K offer application page because my personal ID expired and would not let me pass the landing page. However, I got my 40K bonus only 2 days after I spent $500 on the card. No problems at all. So I assume it would go just as smoothly with your bonus miles.

I hope you get the downgrade or fee waiver next year. Please report back. I wanted to ask the CSR to match the 50K offer but the whole activation process was automatic and quick. Then I was being too lazy to call back. Considering the one phone call to match offer and another one next year to downgrade, I might need a bigger incentive than 10K miles...
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:35 pm

I wanted to add that I posted an update regarding my experience with the Barclaycard Arrival to my blog [remove blog link]

The gist of it that if points are redeemed for statement credit (essentially cash), they are worth half a cent. If the points are assigned to specific travel charges of greater than $25 on your statement, you can receive the full $400 value.

Another benefit is that hotel and rental car charges on Priceline and Hotwire qualify as travel expenses which earn 2x points and for which statement credits are allowed. I don't know of another card that offers redemptions on Priceline reservations.

Last edited by mia; Mar 17, 2013 at 4:15 am Reason: remove comm. link
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold
This card sounds like a copy of the Amex Blue Sky where you spend $500 in 90 days and get a $400 statement credit toward any spends that are travel related. The Amex BS has no annual fee so its a good card to keep to up your AAoA. Both my wife and I got this card and it has worked out well.

Ps...Anyone who has successfully gotten this Barclay card already have 2 US Air cards?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.