Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Wife and I both applied for Arrivals card yesterday. Both apps received the ten day decision notice. We both have FICO's around 800 with low credit utilization. My CU is 6% and SO is 1%. Only flag might be our three new cards from Chase in past two weeks. (two SW cards and one MP EXP)

Based on some posts here, I'll wait it out and see what they say.

Update: Today's mail brought pre-approved letter for a Barclays Rewards MC! LOL

I know it's not really pre-approved just pre-screened but still pretty funny after they are analyzing my app from last week.

Last edited by pinguy; Aug 20, 2013 at 6:59 pm
Old Aug 17, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pinguy
Wife and I both applied for Arrivals card yesterday. Both apps received the ten day decision notice. We both have FICO's around 800 with low credit utilization. My CU is 6% and SO is 1%. Only flag might be our three new cards from Chase in past two weeks. (two SW cards and one MP EXP)

Join the club. We have similar stats to yours and we are on day 12 of their review period for this arrival card.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
My friend was denied and received a denial letter in the mail after 2 weeks of waiting. He was pissed and called the reconsideration line and got approved! Patience is the key.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Wildcatz1
Hi all

Read this thread with interest. I had a question though regarding the points you earn with this card for upgrades or cash + points type of transactions. Will this card allow you to do that (my thought is yes) ? In other words if I go to BA and pay 12500 points + $250 to get an upgrade or pay for a particular ticket I assume the $250 I could use my Arrival points against but can I also use points in any increment on Arrival or do they have to be a certain amount (e.g 10,000 points per time minimum etc) ? Similarly can you choose to cover a portion of the travel expense or are you forced to use all your points against the expense ?

Thanks

WC
Minimum 2500 points and max 25000 in your case. There will be increments of $100 in between I think.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: AS MVP
Would it be worth starting a wiki to report travel transactions/vendors that were coded as other than travel? I bought 4 tickets on the Thello France-Italy night train which were coded as Railroads - Freight and not eligible for credit at 1 cent per point.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by romsdeals3
My friend was denied and received a denial letter in the mail after 2 weeks of waiting. He was pissed and called the reconsideration line and got approved! Patience is the key.
Any idea why your friend was initially rejected and why they ultimately changed their mind and approved him?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Maz67
Any idea why your friend was initially rejected and why they ultimately changed their mind and approved him?
He short sold his house 3 years ago. He has had good credit history since then and the rep agreed.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 7:00 pm

Join the club. We have similar stats to yours and we are on day 12 of their review period for this arrival card.
Would be interested to learn how your apps finally end. Please post or PM me. Thanks
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:55 am

Data point - I just got the 10 day message after applying, decided to call in right away and it turned it out it was auto-blocked without a credit pull based on existing credit with Barclays. I asked if they could do the pull anyway, and was able to get approved.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 4:41 pm

Denied. Great credit and all. Knew it was a long shot since barclays gave me a hard time even when I applied for a second usair. Not even going through the hassle of contesting it unless letter says something very unusual (outside of max credit, too many inquires, too many accounts recently opened)

Site updated after 10 BUSINESS day. Message 'Currently we are unable to offer you a Credit Card. Details on why we could not make you a credit offer will be mailed to you.'
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:25 pm

I was denied after 10 business days as well. My credit history isn't as deep as many others here, but I still have low utilization, never made any late payments, blah blah. I'll try calling into recon after I receive the letter in the mail. I had also applied for the SPG Amex (instant approval) and Citi AA Mastercard (approved easily via chat by moving credit lines) at the same time.
Currently, the only Barclays card I hold is the US Airways one -- they gave me a laughable $1k credit limit on that one
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:00 pm

Update: Today's mail (8/20) brought pre-approved letter for a Barclays Rewards MC! LOL

I know it's not really pre-approved just pre-screened but still pretty funny after they are analyzing my app from last week.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:18 pm

Would be interested to learn how your apps finally end. Please post or PM me. Thanks
Finally got a response from the online status page after 14 days. Denied. All my numbers are very good and low utilization. I already have 2 US air cards and use both so they can't cross examine me on non use like some others have had happen. Us air card 1 had a limit of $35k and #2 has a 7k limit so they might play the "too much existing credit" card or maybe the "too many hard pulls" over the last 12 months. I am at my home in Mexico right now so haven't seen the rejection letter yet. Do they typically have a recon number listed in the letter?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:40 pm

Finally got a response from the online status page after 14 days. Denied. All my numbers are very good and low utilization. I already have 2 US air cards and use both so they can't cross examine me on non use like some others have had happen. Us air card 1 had a limit of $35k and #2 has a 7k limit so they might play the "too much existing credit" card or maybe the "too many hard pulls" over the last 12 months. I am at my home in Mexico right now so haven't seen the rejection letter yet. Do they typically have a recon number listed in the letter?
I'm sorry to hear that Maz67. I don't have the recon number but hope it works out for you. For me, this will be my first Barclay's card. I'm hoping that helps.

The more I read about Barclay's the more I am amazed they have ANY cc customers.....
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:42 pm

Do they typically have a recon number listed in the letter?
I found this number on a blog. Can't verify it works however. 866.408.4064

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.