Wiki Posts
Search

When do you replace a damaged card?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

When do you replace a damaged card?

This isn't necessarily Chase-specific but I have two Chase cards (a CSR and a CFU) that are both showing signs of wear. The CSR has a corner of the front decal (the entire card is a decal on a plain metal piece, apparently) peeling up. The CFU apparently has a similar blue plastic film on the front, over a green plastic piece, that is peeling up. Since this is Flyertalk and we obsess over all kinds of minutiae, I thought I'd ask: when do you request a replacement card? Both these cards still have a few years of validity before Chase will send new ones.
Old May 13, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Replace the card when the current card has enough wear to annoy you. I'd say both of these should be replaced.
Old May 13, 2022, 11:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The card issuers won't know that their contractors are using unsatisfactory materials unless we tell them by requesting replacements.
SPN Lifer, cjw2001 and krazykanuck like this.
Old May 15, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Just call Chase to replace them. I told a customer service representative that one of my cards got rejected randomly, and she just send me a new one.
Old May 15, 2022, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by EdofFX
Just call Chase to replace them. I told a customer service representative that one of my cards got rejected randomly, and she just send me a new one.
Why call? Just request the replacement online. Much easier.
Old May 16, 2022, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by cjw2001
Why call? Just request the replacement online. Much easier.
That is also an option. In my case, I was calling to see whether Chase rejected the charges for any reason. The rep told me she did not see any rejection on her end, so she thought it was a bad chip and offered to send me a new card, even though my card was only two months old.
Old May 16, 2022, 6:53 am

That is also an option. In my case, I was calling to see whether Chase rejected the charges for any reason. The rep told me she did not see any rejection on her end, so she thought it was a bad chip and offered to send me a new card, even though my card was only two months old.
I just had to replace two chase cards with bad chips (both United branded).

I wonder if there is a bad batch of chase cards, as this is very rare for me to have card malfunctions like this
Old May 16, 2022, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by toofast
I just had to replace two chase cards with bad chips (both United branded).

I wonder if there is a bad batch of chase cards, as this is very rare for me to have card malfunctions like this
It could also be a bad reader - those take a lot of wear and tear. All the more reason to use contactless when possible.
Old May 16, 2022, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by cjw2001
It could also be a bad reader - those take a lot of wear and tear. All the more reason to use contactless when possible.
Yes, quite possible. I only ever use a chip when paying for gas (at Kroger), or in Walmart/Kroger, almost every other place I go to has contactless.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by toofast
Yes, quite possible. I only ever use a chip when paying for gas (at Kroger), or in Walmart/Kroger, almost every other place I go to has contactless.
The availability of contactless payment seems to vary by locale. Around me (in Metro Washington DC region), contactless payment options are limited. Mostly gas stations. Many supermarkets appear to have machines that supposedly can accept contactless payments, but they have not turn that function on.
Old May 16, 2022, 1:37 pm

The availability of contactless payment seems to vary by locale. Around me (in Metro Washington DC region), contactless payment options are limited. Mostly gas stations. Many supermarkets appear to have machines that supposedly can accept contactless payments, but they have not turn that function on.
Yes, same here (Columbus, Ohio). It was a big difference from NYC when moving here last year, as there 99.99% of stores seem to be contactless.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:09 am
RNE

Will the duplicate card have the same CVV number? Yes, it's important to me.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RNE
Will the duplicate card have the same CVV number? Yes, it's important to me.
It does not for my Chase cards. New expiration too.

Not sure about other banks.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I think you would be out of luck. IIRC I've replaced a couple of damaged cards, and they both had different CVVs.

One of them probably had a different expiry date as well, but it's been a few years ......
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
Yes, it's important to me.
If you have the card number stored with a merchant that VISA identifies as processing Recurring Transactions you likely will not need to notify them if the card number, expiration date or CVV changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.