Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Suspicious spending applies to each card or all cards from a bank?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

My title probably isn't very clear...

Anyway, a lot of us are "buying" money to get points/miles. You hear about people buying $5K+ in VR, etc. Surely, this type of thing gets the bank's attention, but I guess if it's only done once in a while, that might not be so bad. My question is whether the banks look at each card a user has individually, or together with other cards from the same bank? For example, if someone were to buy $1000 in groceries using AMEX HH today and do the same again tomorrow, that will probably raise red flags. But will AMEX perceive it differently if someone spends $1000 today with AMEX HH and $1000 tomorrow with Blue Cash Pref?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
I have been wondering the same question regarding Chase cards.

I can see the OP's question with regard to the current BB loading from purchasing VR at CVS.

What about Chase? We have satisfied our spend requirement on the new Ink with a wide variety of spending. Now we will be working on the CSP and UA cards. Not the same great deal for UR through OD but I still need to send checks to contractors and want to do it by loading BB with these other Chase cards.

As mentioned on other threads, this shouldn't be a problem as long as spend is well diversified. I'd be interested in hearing discussion.

Thanks,
gg
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:05 pm

Iran into issues with WellsFargo on my checking account because of all the money orders I was depositing. I hadn't really considered this component as there was no risk on their part but they didn't like it anyway.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
Iran into issues with WellsFargo on my checking account because of all the money orders I was depositing. I hadn't really considered this component as there was no risk on their part but they didn't like it anyway.
Are you assembling a nuclear reactor or something?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:33 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by amolkold
Are you assembling a nuclear reactor or something?
I was going to go with IRAQed my credit by paying my bills late...

OP, I wonder about this as well. I suspect there is no easy answer. My guess is that if you don't get flagged for something, human eyes and brains will never be reviewing your profile.

If you do something that flags you for attention from a bank, I would think you'd be at risk for them reviewing your entire spending profile and not just the individual card. I *believe* that when AMEX does FR, it is all accounts (am I right?). It seems most logical that way; if you're a risk, you're a risk overall, not just with one card.

Again, all just guesswork so take with a huge grain of salt.

Last edited by akp; Nov 29, 2012 at 7:38 pm Reason: added
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by akp
I was going to go with IRAQed my credit by paying my bills late...

OP, I wonder about this as well. I suspect there is no easy answer. My guess is that if you don't get flagged for something, human eyes and brains will never be reviewing your profile.

If you do something that flags you for attention from a bank, I would think you'd be at risk for them reviewing your entire spending profile and not just the individual card. I *believe* that when AMEX does FR, it is all accounts (am I right?). It seems most logical that way; if you're a risk, you're a risk overall, not just with one card.

Again, all just guesswork so take with a huge grain of salt.
No I think you're correct. If they look at one they will probably look at all of them. It seems like that's how Chase does it when they shut someone down.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
No I think you're correct. If they look at one they will probably look at all of them. It seems like that's how Chase does it when they shut someone down.
Banks have the ability to see your entire credit portfolio with them, and many of these bank systems can do a cross portfolio search by seeing all your accounts that have the same SSN. I would imagine if you triggered an alert on one of your cards, a Fraud Analyst would check your other accounts for similarities.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

I think it's clear that if you're getting reviewed, the bank will look at all of the cards you have from that bank. But my question is whether or not red flags will be raised if you make a lot of large purchases from different cards from the same bank in a short period of time. Like the example I gave, $1000 from AMEX HHonors, $1500 from Blue Cash Pref, another $1500 from SPG. Will this raise the same eyebrows as if you made those 3 consecutive purchases of $1000+ on only one card?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:03 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I think it's clear that if you're getting reviewed, the bank will look at all of the cards you have from that bank. But my question is whether or not red flags will be raised if you make a lot of large purchases from different cards from the same bank in a short period of time. Like the example I gave, $1000 from AMEX HHonors, $1500 from Blue Cash Pref, another $1500 from SPG. Will this raise the same eyebrows as if you made those 3 consecutive purchases of $1000+ on only one card?
I would imagine it would depend on several factors, how long you've been a cardmember and if you've had a steady history of this type of spending. Where would you be spending this kind of money? A pharmacy would be highly suspicious, the same would apply to supermarkets.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by texasguy77
I would imagine it would depend on several factors, how long you've been a cardmember and if you've had a steady history of this type of spending.
Yes, they look at your income, account history etc and evaluate your spending based on that. If your stated income is 25K and you run 10K balance they may get concerned.

Originally Posted by texasguy77
Where would you be spending this kind of money? A pharmacy would be highly suspicious, the same would apply to supermarkets.
No they really dont care where you spend the money. They just want to make sure you don't max out your cards and vanish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.