Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Sorry for this very last minute question!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avion

I have just found this wonderfully informative site today and spent a lot of time reading what I could (and trying to understand all the lingo!). I'm especially looking for information on converting RBC Avion points to either BA Avios OR (something that I just learned today on this site) the AAdvantage program.

From what I've been able to read, AA is better for long haul flights and BA are better for short haul with North America?

I'm planning to book a trip flying out of Toronto, Canada to Australia/New Zealand in March/April 2013 (big wedding anniversary + bucket list trip), possibly flying into one and out of the other with nothing confirmed yet. Which is the better conversion to do? The reason this is so urgent is that the AA offer expires on November 30th!

I'm not sure if it's kismet that I found this site today with only 1 day left to take advantage of AAdvantage but any insight from the experts on this board would be VERY much appreciated. I would take the time to investigate the options if I had more time but with 24 hours left, I'm calling on the experienced out there.

Of course, the BA offer runs to end of December so that's always a fall back but I'm a little leery after what I've read so far.

I will continue to utilize this site for all the amazing info it's providing...oh yes, btw, although I have extensive Avion points, I have never, ever booked a flight (or anything else for that matter) using my points so am really a newbie to this! Sorry for the long first post...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:22 pm

I had to look up Avion points...

What offer exactly are you referencing?

How any Avion points do you have? I'm asking because I think you want to convert your Avion points into either AA miles or BA Avios. If it's some sort of bonus offer in terms of conversions, you may convert points now and figure out how to redeem them later. Redeeming them is the hard part. It's hard to know how extensive is extensive on this forum :P If you have so many that it's no object, then you can just transfer a whole bunch of them now?

You might want to read around to learn more about redemption options with AA and with BAEC. Look at the award charts and see how many miles you need for the award you're looking at.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Oops...first mistake, assuming everyone knows what you're talking about!

Royal Bank Visa Avion points can be converted to AAdvantage at 1:1.25 or Avios for 1:1.5

I'd take the time to do the reading but the AA offer expires in 24 hours and with the experts on this site, I'd hoped some would share their insights.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:28 pm

Sorry, think I edited my post to include a more comprehensive response as you were responding.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

AA redemptions for travel on QF (and on most partner carriers) are free from fuel surcharges. BA redemptions on QF (and on most partner carriers) will have hefty fuel surcharges for long-haul flights.

Before converting anything, I suggest that you go on aa.com, and check award-seat availability for your desired dates of travel. The results might be disappointing.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
I found the AA transfer bonus to be more attractive than the BA transfer bonus. Even though the percentage bonus is higher with BA, there are two downsides to BA for longhaul: 1) Higher surcharges using BA miles. 2) with BA miles you have to pay for each segment if taking connecting flights.

As it was mentioned by someone else, good luck finding availability to NZ/Oz. They're typically a tough get even searching way ahead of time.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses, I appreciate the feedback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.