Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Need advice from experienced travel hackers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

On November 14, 2012 I did my first app-o-rama for the following cards:

-Chase Sapphire Preferred (40k points; 3k minimum spend in 3 months)

-Barclay's USAir Mastercard (40k miles after 1st purchase)

-Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (50k miles; 1k minimum spend in 3 months)

-Hilton HHonors American Express (40k points; $750 minimum spend in 3 months)

My question is, how would I spread my spending on these cards in order to get the most value?
For example, I will be purchasing the following in the coming months:

- 2 airline tickets to, either Egypt and Russia, or India and Germany

- hotel accommodations for these two 2-week vacations

- a home theater costing between $700-$1,000

- 2 Blu Ray disk players

- a blender

- all my bills, groceries, and entertainment (including fine dining)

I have my own ideas about what to charge on what card and where, but I'd like some feedback from some of the members on this forum who have more experience than me.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:23 pm

Do you have a link for the 50k United bonus? Best I see is 30k.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by joer1212
On November 14, 2012 I did my first app-o-rama for the following cards:

-Chase Sapphire Preferred (40k points; 3k minimum spend in 3 months)

-Barclay's USAir Mastercard (40k miles after 1st purchase)

-Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (50k miles; 1k minimum spend in 3 months)

-Hilton HHonors American Express (40k points; $750 minimum spend in 3 months)

My question is, how would I spread my spending on these cards in order to get the most value?
For example, I will be purchasing the following in the coming months:

- 2 airline tickets to, either Egypt and Russia, or India and Germany

- hotel accommodations for these two 2-week vacations

- a home theater costing between $700-$1,000

- 2 Blu Ray disk players

- a blender

- all my bills, groceries, and entertainment (including fine dining)

I have my own ideas about what to charge on what card and where, but I'd like some feedback from some of the members on this forum who have more experience than me.
Personally, it is a pretty easy spend:

Barclays-Pack of gum and you are done
Sapphire--start putting all your bills on it now, not sure what they are, but should add up quickly.
Chase United--If you can, fly United and buy your tickets with the card, pretty sure you get extra points for the spend with United.
Hilton Amex--Stay at a few hiltons and use this card, but also i'd put your electronics spend on this one. They extend the warranty by an additional year...the other cards may do the same, i'm just not sure or aware.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

(Deleted.)

Last edited by guv1976; Nov 21, 2012 at 4:59 pm
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by samfelix
Do you have a link for the 50k United bonus? Best I see is 30k.
This is what I used:

https://www.theexplorercard.com/MPYoureIn30kAFW.aspx

However, when I click on this now, I also get a 30k offer because it recognizes my computer. To get the higher offer I had to erase my history and cache.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Personally, it is a pretty easy spend:

Barclays-Pack of gum and you are done
Sapphire--start putting all your bills on it now, not sure what they are, but should add up quickly.
Chase United--If you can, fly United and buy your tickets with the card, pretty sure you get extra points for the spend with United.
Hilton Amex--Stay at a few hiltons and use this card, but also i'd put your electronics spend on this one. They extend the warranty by an additional year...the other cards may do the same, i'm just not sure or aware.
I thought of flying United, too, but they will probably be more expensive, and not as good, as flying Air India to Mumbai, or EgyptAir to Cairo. Plus, EgyptAir is non-stop NY-Cairo. This is why it is confusing what is the best bang-for-buck.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Travel and domestic dining on Sapphire Preferred. Drug store, supermarket, monthly landline and cellphone bills, and gasoline purchases on HHonors Amex for double points. Domestic car rentals, if any, on UA Explorer Card, for primary LDW.

I'd also put the electronics purchases on the HHonors Amex. While I think all of these cards offer extended warranty protection, the protection goes away if you cancel the card. Since the basic HHonors Amex card has no annual fee, you can keep it open indefinitely, to keep the extended warranty protection alive.

Any charges in foreign countries should go on cards with no forex fee, like the UA Explorer card.
Should I charge domestic dining on the Sapphire because it offers a better bonus than the others?
You point about putting electronics on the Hilton is well taken, and I can put the blender and 2 Blu Ray players on it. But, but won't I get more value by shopping for these items through the Chase portal?
Also, while the Hilton card has no annual fee, and can be held indefinitely, I was thinking of churning this card, also.
Any thoughts?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Whoa whoa whoa...

UA Explorer card, I'm pretty sure, HAS a forex fee. The darling Sapphire Preferred is the one with no forex.

joer1212, just look at what card has what bonuses. Sapphire Preferred is travel/dining. UA is United purchases (which Sapphire Preferred still beats). AMEX HHonors is grocery, supermarkets, phone bills, gas, and anything that might need purchase protection.

Cannot churn Amex easily. Instead, wait for Amex to offer you a points upgrade to Surpass for $75.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Use the chase sapphire preferred to buy plane tickets if not flying united for the 2x travel bonus. Try using Chase ultimate rewards mall for booking these tickets.

Put sat TV/cell/internet bills on hhonors amex.

Put bills that arent sat tv/phone internet on United.

Use chase sapphire on all dining. Spread out miscellaneous spending on other cards to meet spend req.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by amolkold
Whoa whoa whoa...

UA Explorer card, I'm pretty sure, HAS a forex fee. The darling Sapphire Preferred is the one with no forex.

joer1212, just look at what card has what bonuses. Sapphire Preferred is travel/dining. UA is United purchases (which Sapphire Preferred still beats). AMEX HHonors is grocery, supermarkets, phone bills, gas, and anything that might need purchase protection.

Cannot churn Amex easily. Instead, wait for Amex to offer you a points upgrade to Surpass for $75.
Mea culpa! You're absolutely right: it's the CSP that has no forex fee; the United Explorer card has a 3% forex fee. But it's the Explorer card that has primary LDW for rental cars.

Sorry for the error. I've deleted the offending post, since the FT WAP would not let me edit out the incorrect information.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

UA is United purchases (which Sapphire Preferred still beats). AMEX HHonors is grocery, supermarkets, phone bills, gas, and anything that might need purchase protection.
Are you saying that I should purchase my airline tickets with the Sapphire, rather than the United card? How is it better for this?

What is the Surpass card, and how is it superior to my HHonors card? What would a "points upgrade" be? Do you mean the quantity of points will be greater, rather than the quality?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bta15
Use the chase sapphire preferred to buy plane tickets if not flying united for the 2x travel bonus. Try using Chase ultimate rewards mall for booking these tickets.

Put sat TV/cell/internet bills on hhonors amex.

Put bills that arent sat tv/phone internet on United.

Use chase sapphire on all dining. Spread out miscellaneous spending on other cards to meet spend req.
Thanks, this is one of the finest answers I received! Makes a lot of sense.
If you were in my shoes, would you charge your tickets on the United Card and get 2X miles or on the Sapphire (through U.R. mall)?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:14 pm
wcj

You get 2pts per $ on CSP for airline tickets as well, but can get more through the portal. Plus you get URs and their flexibility.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wcj
You get 2pts per $ on CSP for airline tickets as well, but can get more through the portal. Plus you get URs and their flexibility.
Yes, good point. I probably will end up purchasing my airline tix with the Sapphire. But, on what card should I charge my hotel stay? The Hilton Amex?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is your hotel a Hilton? Then yes. If not, Sapphire Preferred.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.