Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now closed.
Please continue the discussion here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-shut-downs-credit-card-account-closures-data-tales-speculation-2019-a.html

================================================== ================================================== ===============================

This thread is for discussion of issues with transfers of UR points directly into someone else's UR account.

There is a separate thread to discuss transfers of UR points to someone else's hotel or airline loyalty program account: Official: No UR points to another person's airline or hotel account
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by robertw477
#1 file with the CFPB they have a website and onlien form. Chase will have to repond to them so at least you get your points. Forget reinstatement of the account. http://www.consumerfinance.gov/
Not many got thier points back with CFPB complaints but you did give good advice.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tufasttt
I just got off the phone with the CSP rep, here are the main points that I tried to convey:

1. I accept the fact that technically, I am at fault for not reading the T&C correctly. At at the same time I had no idea that the transfers I made to friends and family were illegal so I did not willingly violate the rules.

2. When I made the points transfers, the T&C were not enforced by the representatives, so technically they were accomplices with the illegal transfers.

3. The purchases that I made and the balance that I still have to pay for, should be allowed to accumulate miles for.

4. I've been a loyal Chase customer, with excellent credit history, on time payments, and about 10 friends referrals to date.

The representative was giving me attitude as soon as I started making my point # 2. Very strict, absolutely no leniency, and apparently indifferent that you are a loyal customer for years. I even asked her about a hypothetical scenario. I said: "So you are telling me that you cannot help me out with this issue (accumulating miles on the remaining balance) even though I've been with Chase for number of years and referred chase to 10 friends? You are telling me that you don't appreciate my business and don't care if I take my business elsewhere?" Representative did not care, just said that "you are entitled to do what ever you like!" and "Chase has already been lenient when we allowed you 90 days to take advantage of your accumulated miles" (well that's a given, I've ran tens of thousands of dollars through this card, so I think I'm definitely entitled to those!!!) I also tried to request a supervisor but the representative told me that there is nothing a supervisor will help me with that the representative haven't explained to me already. I'm very disappointed with Chase and their treatment of customers. In America, there is always lenience for the first offense, especially when it is unintentional. I WILL be taking my business elsewhere, and will be recommending the same to all the referred friends.
I haven't finished reading this long thread yet, but I just have to remind you this cardinal rule: when you encounter a "difficult" CSR, Chase or no Chase, thank her/him politely and do call again. Would you also bother arguing with a lock on the door?

And in regard to your threats to take your business elsewhere--do understand the simple fact: they just don't care! Keep this in mind and you'll save yourself a lot of aggravation.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Since I have been shut out of many things over the years (and personally do not consider myself a bad bloke, even though others think I must therefore be one) I have a bit of experience with some of this. I think that drawing on such experience is helpful (as I have said elsewhere despite being highly shunned for it). To know more about how and why one can get shut down can enlighten one as to how some deals and companies operate. You also find out that hey, it's them who are pulling the big scam here, not you! then again it's all subjective... I mean why listen to a guy with 10+ years FT experience who has been kicked out of stuff and talks too much?

Anyway, I have done many things with UR but I have not yet been shut out of Chase. However, if the things that have happened to people like emptiness were to happen to me, I would press very hard to recoup at least my points, if not my accounts as well--to have them reopened.
  • We do not know what each person had been doing (so we cannot assume they must have broken some rules or meant to harm the program)
  • We cannot know exactly why Chase closed any account (we can only assume they THOUGHT person X was up to something)
  • It can be widely assumed that if pressed for a reason, Chase, like any bank, would use the party line: "We don't have to tell you. According to things like the bank Secrecy Act of 1970, etc, we can close anyone's account at any time for any reason... blah blah."

Yeah, sure ok but why WOULD you? And why now?

When it comes to anything involving points, promos, bonuses, etc, I find it very interesting that THIS is exactly when and why banks and companies suddenly happen to find a need to close out someone's account! It is for this reason that I say press onward. Challenge it. Do so with any and every entity you can find. Bank regulators, BBB, Attorney General's Offices (the more complaints they get of the same nature, the more inclined they are to act upon them) state and local regulators and finally the serving of a small claims court notice.

If my points were taken a short time after I just paid the annual fee for my card AND I was refused the % bonus I was also supposed to get, AND my points were being threatened, I would call that Bait & Switch so fast it would make their head spin. It could make the local paper or more entities, but even then, the general public (and sadly, even some of your peers or some of the sadistic, anti-social and narcissistic types found in FT even) would instantly assume YOU must have somehow 'gamed' the system (that is a term that is very undefined by the way) and are therefore the reason why you got shut down. It must be YOU, because it didn't happen to ME! But despite all that garble you may encounter, once you serve notice to whatever company were to do this to you, they kinda have to deal with it.

Here's a little example:

In a recent case I had a certain bank want to close my bank accounts and a cash back credit card. they would not say why of course, but it was true that I had just found ways to earn over $2,300 using that cash back card. All legitimate ways according to their own T&Cs, mind you, but enough to make them wish they never gave it to me. Thus, they had to close it. And if the card is closed, one does not get the bonus. So to do this, they had to close the bank accounts and thus, everything related to them, including the card. because they could just close the bank accounts for any reason (according to that 1970s rule) they could easily tie this into today's Cb CC. And that is what they did. I wrote everyone but finally did end up using SC court. A week before my hearing date I got a call from their lawyer. he sent me a check. When I pressed for reasons he would not give them, and had I gone to court I may have gotten more, but I also figured it was best to end it here and take the money. I did, and that worked nicely for me.

When I had to sue Cartera for missing UA and other miles, I ended up in SC court. I find now I should have used the AGs office first and I did not win in court (judgement was mailed and said, "no money awarded" as I was claiming a monetary value for my lost miles) but it was really interesting to me that the very next day, ALL my miles were suddenly in my UA acct, AND ones I had claimed the company owed me in Delta suddenly magically found their way into my DL as well. Hmmmm...

Point is, I got the missing miles... I got the cash back money (and in the case of Chase, it would have been the points) that I was rightfully due under the T&Cs of the company in question at the time I did my activity. I had to fight for it and that stinks, but like anything, once dragged into the system for whatever reason, you just gotta find the means to get yourself out of it!

You need to fight for your right to party. period.

Never doubt the Beastie Boys.

MM good luck!
Wait, you lost the case, but they still gave you the points? What am I missing?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Hmmm...and according to this the terms and conditions for transfers are slightly different than for combining within Ultimate Rewards...

http://milecards.com/4942/warning-ch...int-transfers/

"You can only transfer points to a frequent travel account belonging to you, your household member or an authorized user or employee."

vs for combining:

"Transfers may only be used to combine points belonging to the same individual or business in the program; or for the purpose of enabling spouses or domestic partners to combine points."
So does this mean I can give UR points to my husband so he has 1k and then he can transfer them to his own mileage account?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by duranza
So does this mean I can give UR points to my husband so he has 1k and then he can transfer them to his own mileage account?
UR points can be transferred ONLY to your husband. As to transferring the UR points to his FF account- you could do that yourself. There is no need to first transfer the UR points to his UR account.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by jatink129
UR points can be transferred ONLY to your husband. As to transferring the UR points to his FF account- you could do that yourself. There is no need to first transfer the UR points to his UR account.
I don't have any miles in my United.. he has a little over 1k,
I think I do have to transfer my UR to his UR account since they can only be transfered out to his mileage account in increments of 1k right?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:43 pm

I don't have any miles in my United.. he has a little over 1k,
I think I do have to transfer my UR to his UR account since they can only be transfered out to his mileage account in increments of 1k right?
I'm confused. What are you trying to achieve here?
Chase allows members to transfer UR points to FF account belonging to household members,employees or AU. So you could just transfer the points directly to his FF account.

Unless there's something here that I'm not getting. Sorry.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:39 pm

I'm confused. What are you trying to achieve here?
Chase allows members to transfer UR points to FF account belonging to household members,employees or AU. So you could just transfer the points directly to his FF account.

Unless there's something here that I'm not getting. Sorry.
I was under the impression that the only way to get miles into his United FF account was in increments of 1k.
What I am trying to achieve is to see the cc offer of United Air for 55k miles that everyone else is seeing but I only see 30k being offered.
Guess I have another option of visiting my local Chase bank to see what they offer there too.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by mnscout
I haven't finished reading this long thread yet, but I just have to remind you this cardinal rule: when you encounter a "difficult" CSR, Chase or no Chase, thank her/him politely and do call again. Would you also bother arguing with a lock on the door?

And in regard to your threats to take your business elsewhere--do understand the simple fact: they just don't care! Keep this in mind and you'll save yourself a lot of aggravation.

The Chase reps on the phone will never help you. I mean never. Trust me. Try some formal complaints if you lost points to CFSB and NY atty General. You could call Chase exec offices. As crazy as this sounds if you had 100K in your checking account and your bank manager contacted the card division they would tell him to get screwed. That is the way things are over there.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by QL_714
@MM – I know you like to fight these things but remember a couple of things.

1 – They have a right to close your CC at any time for any reason. This does include the catch all “not used as intended”.
2 – It looks like all the closures were for violations of the T&C’s.
3 – They are letting you still redeem your points.
4 – This is Chase we are talking about and not some rinky dink cash back site.

I would suggest everyone read the AARP FWF thread if you want to see what Chase can and has done. Their they closed accounts with no violation of the T&C’s and points were forfeited. Some were able to get points reinstated and none to my knowledge was able to get their cards reopened.

The best advice I could give is for you to redeem your points and move on. If you want just open up another SP CC and get the sign up bonus while you are at it.
I agree with your comments. Even when the T & C say they can close and keep points for any reason, I know of no other card company that would try and keep your points other than Chase that is. When people call the rep it probably says right next to the account-Closed tell customer to pound sand.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:57 pm

I was under the impression that the only way to get miles into his United FF account was in increments of 1k.
What I am trying to achieve is to see the cc offer of United Air for 55k miles that everyone else is seeing but I only see 30k being offered.
Guess I have another option of visiting my local Chase bank to see what they offer there too.
That is correct. But if you transfer points to his UR account, he would still only be able to transfer in increments of 1k...so what's the point in first transferring to his UR account and then he transferring them to his FF account?
You might as well transfer them to his FF account directly.

I recently applied for the 55k offer for my mother.
Created a new FF account and transferred 1k to her account.
Logged off.
Went to http://www.unitedexplorercard.com/Premier
Logged in.
And I saw the 65k offer.

No offense but I think you'd find better luck in this thread.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:27 pm

That is correct. But if you transfer points to his UR account, he would still only be able to transfer in increments of 1k...so what's the point in first transferring to his UR account and then he transferring them to his FF account?
You might as well transfer them to his FF account directly.

I recently applied for the 55k offer for my mother.
Created a new FF account and transferred 1k to her account.
Logged off.
Went to http://www.unitedexplorercard.com/Premier
Logged in.
And I saw the 65k offer.

No offense but I think you'd find better luck in this thread.
I have 394 pts he has around 700pts neither one of us have 1k UR points to transfer, collectively yes...
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:54 pm

I have 394 pts he has around 700pts neither one of us have 1k UR points to transfer, collectively yes...
Aaah... so that's what I was missing. Then yes, you'd have to transfer to his UR account and then he could transfer them to his FF account.

That link is not a 100% thing...apparently it comes and goes. It wasn't working for a while and then it began working right around when I was trying to find the offer..and then it stopped working again.

Keep trying.

Personally, when I applied a while ago for myself, I couldn't get the65k offer to work, no matter what I tried. So i just applied for the 40k and sent a secure message and Chase gave me the extra points.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by robertw477
I agree with your comments. Even when the T & C say they can close and keep points for any reason, I know of no other card company that would try and keep your points other than Chase that is. When people call the rep it probably says right next to the account-Closed tell customer to pound sand.
Citi kept cash back about two years back when they closed CR cards. I am talking about accounts with five figures in them. That hurt!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:55 pm

So Chase's very own sponsored blogger has posted that he was unaware of the rules. This is pretty huge IMO. I just don't see how they can close accounts without warning for making internal transfers when the blogger they hold as "the renowned travel expert... to give you tips on how you can make the most of your Chase Sapphire Preferred card" has told readers this was allowed and posted he made transfers himself to a non-spouse.

http://www.facebook.com/chasesapphir...17368871745973

We challenged the renowned travel expert, The Points Guy, to use Chase Sapphire℠ funded Ultimate Rewards℠ points to give you tips on how you can make the most of your Chase Sapphire Preferred card
http://thepointsguy.com/2011/09/why-...imate-rewards/

Chase is very flexible with internal transfers. Chase allows points to be transferred to anyone else! For example, my friend who moved to Madrid had 2,000 points leftover in her Freedom account. She wasn’t going to use them, so she transferred them to me for free (all we had to do was enter my Sapphire Preferred credit card number). Instantly I had 2,000 points that could be transferred to either United, British Airways, Korean Air, Southwest, Hyatt, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Priority Club or Amtrak. Awesome.
http://thepointsguy.com/2012/10/is-c...rds-transfers/

Again, combining points from various Ultimate Rewards accounts is something I’ve done in the past and it was a great way to put points back into play that might not be used otherwise – either because they were too few for an award redemption, or in increments that couldn’t be transferred to a frequent flyer account, or because they wanted to close a particular credit card while leaving another open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.