Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Avoid $1 test transaction when adding a card to Amazon Payments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

i noticed something today i discovered by mistake..

yesterday i added 4 $200 amex giftcards to my amazon payment account so i can drain them.. i expected a $1 temp charge like always.. today i made 4 $150 transfers and one fails.. i check the balance on that one card and it does not show the $1 temp charge where all the other cards do.. i go to my cards in amazon and hit edit card.. i noticed right off the exp year show 2019 not 2020.. so it lets me fix it.. i check the balance and there is still no temp charge.. i send payment for 100% of the value of the card and it clears.. might only work with amex but it seems really useful..
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by gezzuzz
i noticed something today i discovered by mistake..

yesterday i added 4 $200 amex giftcards to my amazon payment account so i can drain them.. i expected a $1 temp charge like always.. today i made 4 $150 transfers and one fails.. i check the balance on that one card and it does not show the $1 temp charge where all the other cards do.. i go to my cards in amazon and hit edit card.. i noticed right off the exp year show 2019 not 2020.. so it lets me fix it.. i check the balance and there is still no temp charge.. i send payment for 100% of the value of the card and it clears.. might only work with amex but it seems really useful..
Yep that's the way to do it. Been doing it for a long time (works with all of them). Amazon's algorithm kicks in to verify the expiration date rather than the auto $1 charge.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:24 pm
AAL

I don't understand how to do this. AP's help documents indicate that you can only "add funds" from a bank account, but you can use a credit card when you "send money". But it sounds like you added funds to your account from the gift cards. What am I missing?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:17 am

Programs: AA/DL/UA, SPG/HH
also the temporary charge almost always disappears after about 10 days or so
Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:11 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mrp20
True, but still very annoying when you want to unload a gift card with a small value.

Thanks for sharing OP, I learned something new that's very valuable!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mrp20
This is what I do. It caught me off guard when I couldn't cash out my rebate cards for the full amount until I read about the charge. I'll have to try this trick next time. Thanks OP!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by AAL
I don't understand how to do this. AP's help documents indicate that you can only "add funds" from a bank account, but you can use a credit card when you "send money". But it sounds like you added funds to your account from the gift cards. What am I missing?
Missing a lot my friend.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:02 am
AAL

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
Missing a lot my friend.
I see that. How does one learn how to use AP?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:44 am

thanks OP for sharing! i just tried with a prepaid visa and got the following message:

"Pending

We are unable to complete your transaction until further review. It can take up to 24 hours to complete this transaction. We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause."

might work as it didn't show failed but i couldn't get the payment to go thru instantaneously. will probably just stick to keeping $1 on gift cards from now on since i'd prefer to fly on the radar....
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by brownie20
thanks OP for sharing! i just tried with a prepaid visa and got the following message:

"Pending

We are unable to complete your transaction until further review. It can take up to 24 hours to complete this transaction. We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause."

might work as it didn't show failed but i couldn't get the payment to go thru instantaneously. will probably just stick to keeping $1 on gift cards from now on since i'd prefer to fly on the radar....
I think it may be better to fly under the radar.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by contactcr
I think it may be better to fly under the radar.
i think so. one of these days i'll just go on a $1 marathon spend a great place to use small amounts on amex gift cards i learned was mcds. you can just swipe the gift cards yourself on their cc readers. the place i used to work at had a cafeteria and a mcds which was great when i didn't have time to sit down and eat and could grab fries or a sundae and run. yup i'm that healthy this was before i started using AP and would use amex gc for regular expenses and end up with $0.54 on one card and $0.42 on another lol.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by AAL
I see that. How does one learn how to use AP?
Read the AP thread. Search on Google as well
Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: A bunch
Would there be anyone so kind to PM to explain more about whats going on here?

I use amazon payments monthly, sending $1000 a month. Is there a way or method that I am missing that I could do an additional amount??

I have read the amazon payments thread for a while but I am not clear so if someone can PM and we can be discreet, Please.

Thanks!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Stoutman11
Would there be anyone so kind to PM to explain more about whats going on here?

I use amazon payments monthly, sending $1000 a month. Is there a way or method that I am missing that I could do an additional amount??

I have read the amazon payments thread for a while but I am not clear so if someone can PM and we can be discreet, Please.

Thanks!
There's more than one way to skin a cat
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:53 pm
Suspended

been thinking for long time that you have to do the full $1k limit at once.

i always manage my sister's brother's finances and do amazon payment between us without any problem but due to one minor mistake by me yesterday. both my sister and brother's amazon payment got shut down.

When I entered her card info on AP account sent the payment to her bro,I mistakenly entered her brother's name in the card holder's name. That mistake happened because I have all of our names in AP and shows up automatically and perhaps I was too fast and not careful.

Payment didn't go thru and went under review and than the email said YOU ARE TRYING TO GO OVER THE $1K LIMIT BY CREATING MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS AND THUS ALL ACCOUNTS CLOSED AND ANY NEW ACCOUNTS CREATED WILL NOT WORK.

My sister and her bro lives in separate states with 2 different addresses. no way it is multiple accounts but because of the mistake, they said both accounts are closed

Last edited by emptiness; Oct 2, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.