Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Progressive Auto Insurance raised my premium 40% since I opened too many credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Progressive Auto Insurance raised my premium 40% since I opened too many credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by SuperDudley
Insurance company's perspective is that you are opening a number of credit cards because you are anticipating using them as a means for living within the next few months. People who rely heavily on their credit cards for living, instead of having cash in the bank, are more likely to file claims. They don't have the means necessary to handle losses out of pocket when the situation arises. That's also the reason why credit (insurance) scoring is a valid loss predictor.
Yes, that is a well known fact among us credit card churners.

I am specifically interested in whether people with experience in insurance interpret the paragraph below as stating that they are weighing more heavily the accounts opened in the last 6 months. Technically, every card a person has is listed on the credit report every month.

If all credit cards that are open are treated equally (with the exception of the most recently opened card listed in paragraph 2) that affects churning differently than if ALL accounts opened in the last 6 months are weighed more heavily than older accounts.

Originally Posted by jeanie
"Number of Accounts Reported Within 6 Months - Industry research shows that consumers with a large number of reported accounts have more insurance losses. Our score considers the number of accounts reported by your creditors within the last 6 months. To improve this aspect of your score, open new accounts only when needed.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:20 pm

I have Travelers and have not had a rate increase due to refinances and new cards
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:00 am

Sorry about this. The sudden increase seems absurd to me, really. I’ve been with The Hartford for about 12 years now and I’ve never had to face such a problem with them. I think it’s time to switch. Why don’t you contact The Hartford for an auto insurance quote? I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Notes:

Different states have different regulations concerning the use of credit scores in insurance risk assessment, so YMMV both between insurance companies and between states.

Some states prohibit it. Some allow it, but require the insurance company tell you they are using it and how.

Insurance companies can have different scoring models in different states.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
I am an Amica customer. Today, I got my insurance renewal in the mail, and it listed the criteria for using insurance scores. They pulled Equifax for me. It said that I could get a free copy of my Equifax report if I disagreed with my renewal premium. I plan on getting the free credit report. Here are the pertinent parts. I am interested to see how people interpret the first paragraph. Do you read it as new accounts in the past 6 months, or all accounts on your credit report?

"Number of Accounts Reported Within 6 Months - Industry research shows that consumers with a large number of reported accounts have more insurance losses. Our score considers the number of accounts reported by your creditors within the last 6 months. To improve this aspect of your score, open new accounts only when needed.

Age of Newest Account - Industry research shows that consumers with recently opened accounts experience more insurance losses. Our score considers how long it has been since you opened your last account. To improve this aspect of your score, consider keeping your oldest accounts active and only open new accounts when needed. In order to achieve the best rating, the age of your most recently opened account must be at least 3.5 years old.

Number of Department Store Accounts - Industry research shows that consumers who open more accounts with department stores experience more insurance losses. Our score considers the number of accounts you have opened with department stores. These accounts can be currently opened or closed. To improve this aspect of your score, open new accounts only when needed, as once you have opened the account and regardless of whether you use it or not, your score will be impacted by this factor.

Percent Open Bankcard Accounts to All Open Revolving Accounts - Industry research shows that consumers who have a higher proportion of open bankcard accounts to open revolving accounts have fewer insurance losses. Bankcard accounts are defined as revolving accounts for banks, bankcard companies, national credit card companies, saving and loan associations and credit unions. Revolving accounts include credit cards and credit lines and are considered open if they have not been reported as closed. Our score considers the number of open bankcard accounts relative to the number of open revolving accounts on your credit report. To improve this aspect of your credit score, consider using fewer sources to obtain goods and services. In addition, be careful not to maintain high balances on bankcard accounts."

Thanks.
I have Amica in TX as well and I'm in the same boat with this notice. My HO premium increased like 15%. My agent says the rates increased due to construction costs and increased claims. I had a claim this year (first year owning a home too) as well. Not sure what to think just yet
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Relevant article in Wall Street Journal:

Credit History Can Drive Your Auto Premiums

Drivers with median credit paid 24% more for insurance than those with great credit, according to a study in October by insuranceQuotes.com, a Bankrate company. While insurers use proprietary scoring models, in the world of consumer credit a FICO score of 760 and up is generally considered great credit and below 620 poor.

It's not only car insurance. People with poor credit paid as much as 91% more for homeowners insurance than those with excellent credit. Those with fair or median credit paid 29% more, according to insuranceQuotes.com. (California, Massachusetts and Maryland prohibit the use of credit histories in setting home-insurance rates.)
What is the median FICO score? 723. If these analyses are correct, driving your credit score much below 760 may be costing you money, even if you are not applying for a mortgage or another round of cards.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:19 pm

Angry

YES, ME! They hiked my rate 55% though I pay in full upfront, no accidents or tickets, much improved credit etc.

Here are their reasons:
We did not give you our lowest possible premium due to the following information that we evaluated from your credit history: • You applied for credit at least once in the last 2 years, excluding auto or mortgage applications. • You had no auto loans or leases reported opened within the last 10 years. • The average open date of all your reported loans and accounts was less than 8 years ago. • You had a payment past due in the last 7 years. For more information about our review and use of credit, refer to "Why is credit history reviewed and used?" Also, your payment terms are not our most favorable.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by ChickenLilyR6
YES, ME! They hiked my rate 55% though I pay in full upfront, no accidents or tickets, much improved credit etc.

Here are their reasons:
We did not give you our lowest possible premium due to the following information that we evaluated from your credit history: • You applied for credit at least once in the last 2 years, excluding auto or mortgage applications. • You had no auto loans or leases reported opened within the last 10 years. • The average open date of all your reported loans and accounts was less than 8 years ago. • You had a payment past due in the last 7 years. For more information about our review and use of credit, refer to "Why is credit history reviewed and used?" Also, your payment terms are not our most favorable.
Welcome to FT ChickenLilyR6. Doesn't seem fair. Time to vote with your $$ and look for a new carrier.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Well this is supremely annoying. Homeowners went up 27% from last year bc my transunion score of 835 put me at a tier 8 (instead of tier 4, which is what it was last time). I've actually slowed down my churning. I have 10 accounts showing ranging in age of 2-35 years. 1 inquiry in the last 3 years. I'm so frustrated. Progressive said they would re-run the credit check but I'm not optimistic anything will have changed in 2 months. Might even be worse, though I don't know why it would be. Good grief.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
....transunion score of 835 put me at a tier 8 (instead of tier 4,
This does not sound as if it is a FICO score with a maximum score of 850. Do you know what type of score they use?

Did Progressive notify you that your credit score was a factor in the rate increase, or did they only mention it when you contacted them?
Old Oct 7, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
This does not sound as if it is a FICO score with a maximum score of 850. Do you know what type of score they use?

Did Progressive notify you that your credit score was a factor in the rate increase, or did they only mention it when you contacted them?
When I called and asked why the increase, the agent said the only thing she could see was that my Transunion report placed me in Progressive’s tier 8 rather than tier 4 (with 1 being the best). The actual FICO score of 835 is not on the document nor is the tier info. I’m attaching a screenshot. I realize now there is a second inquiry (that’s a business account credit check and the account itself is not listed). The newest account listed in my Transunion report was opened 22 months ago. Utilization is low bc these are old cards and I’ve been focused on a few newer ones for SUB that are not on my Transunion report. I guess I should jack up some spend on these before they rerun it. But I don’t know if it’s going to help if they are doing an annual average on utilization. One month won’t change an average by much.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:18 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Insurers often use different models than credit issuers. It's possible to have a high FICO score and a lower score on an insurance industry model.

Here's a myfico thread on Credit Based Insurance Scores (CBIS): https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Gen...ot/m-p/4761583
SPN Lifer and Stgermainparis like this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Insurers often use different models than credit issuers. It's possible to have a high FICO score and a lower score on an insurance industry model.

Here's a myfico thread on Credit Based Insurance Scores (CBIS): https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Gen...ot/m-p/4761583
Thanks for this. Will drill down. Seems like nothing I can do to save both churning and insurance rates. Dang.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Seems like nothing I can do to save both churning and insurance rates. Dang.
Well, you could move to one of the handful of states which do not permit insurers to consider one's credit history.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 8:48 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Thanks for this. Will drill down. Seems like nothing I can do to save both churning and insurance rates. Dang.
The way I've justified it to myself is, if they hit me up for $500 more in premiums, I'll just open another card with a $500 payout. Good enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.