Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do closed cards help to increase AoA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Does closed cards help to increase AoA? Is AoA calculated by using all tradelines, or does it only calculate active tradelines?

TIA... I'm thinking of whether or not I should close 1 or 2 low limit cards...
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:46 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
If the low limit cards are OLD, do not cancel them. I believe that on closed accounts, they only count them for 10 yrs after closing. If open, they are counted without regard to when they are open.

I own rental property and one applicant had a decent credit score in spite of having several credit lines maxed out. (he had plenty of income to pay rent since he used to own a house). Two of his tradlines were opened in 1964/1966 and still were active. That helped his score alot. If he closed out the accounts more than 10 yrs ago, they may not be on his report.

Bottom line: Keep the old accounts open if at all possible. Especially AMEX going back years!!!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:42 am

I have a high limit mastercard opened more than 10 years ago but dont really use it now. Havent used it since i got the Chase Sapphire.

Should I close it?
My credit score is pretty decent, last i checked.

Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 3:35 pm

10 year old card... Definitely keep it open or see if you can convert it into a card you will use from time to time.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 8:13 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
The tribal wisdom around FlyerTalk is that closed accounts count toward average age of accounts until they drop off the report (about 7 years).

However, the length of history is determined by the oldest account. So it makes sense to keep the oldest (or 2 or 3 oldest, just in case something happens to the oldest) open, so that the total length of history continues to grow.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Accounts closed in good standing will remain on your report until 10 years after the closing date. Negative accounts will drop off after 7 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.