Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

I'm afraid my short career in churning could be over, What do I do?

I'm afraid my short career in churning could be over, What do I do?

Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Sorry to hear this happened, unfortunately it's not new. My wife was denied beginning of the year for the Chase United Explorer card for the same reason. HHI is fine but her staying at home with kids was not. Ironically she got approved for a CSP last August, and an Ink Bold not long after that. So I guess about the new year is when they started being a pain.
The regulation went into effect in October 2011. I suspect the banks changed their application processes on a rolling basis.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by freeflyin
Listing "retired" as the occupation for a non-working spouse has never caused a problem in the past
LOL, until they look at the application and notice the DOB and figure spouse is only 24 y/o.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
And you are now liable for income and social security taxes, and your husband is responsible for paying the employer's share of social security taxes.

Next bright idea?
I don't think you're liable for those if the annual income is less than $600 right? Not sure though.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by vjetti
I don't think you're liable for those if the annual income is less than $600 right? Not sure though.
You're always liable to pay taxes on every cent you earn subject to income tax brackets. The $600 only refers to the limit over which an org has to send you a 1099.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by mojoshtudd
You're always liable to pay taxes on every cent you earn subject to income tax brackets. The $600 only refers to the limit over which an org has to send you a 1099.
So true, IRS requires you to pay for ANY earnings even if no 1099 is sent to you. Lets say you earn $500, that amt is suppose to be reported ,But its just harder for them to track without the 1099. But I've heard people getting caught by the IRS thru the reverse method. IRS audits the company itself, finds out everyone the company paid in the past year and then check if all those individuals reported the earnings (regardless of whether 1099 was sent or not). Now, they flag and target those that didn't report with a fine tooth comb audit (even if its just $500) with the mindset that if you didn't report this then what else didn't you report).

Last edited by sharka; Aug 9, 2012 at 11:49 am
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
My wife and I started a small home based business for this very reason. She "makes" less than $5000 a year with it, but it avoids those questions. If you want any advice, PM me.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:42 pm

say that you work. stop being so honest, haha. you are self-employed and make 60,000 a year. I've only been asked to verify income once on a personal card and that was by citi for the aa cards. I simply ignored them. A few months later I applied again and they approved my cards without asking for verification. I guess its not 100% street legal to stretch the truth about your income and work situation, but if you are as responsible as you say you are, its a white lie that you will love to make
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by trixxster17
say that you work. stop being so honest, haha. you are self-employed and make 60,000 a year. I've only been asked to verify income once on a personal card and that was by citi for the aa cards. I simply ignored them. A few months later I applied again and they approved my cards without asking for verification. I guess its not 100% street legal to stretch the truth about your income and work situation, but if you are as responsible as you say you are, its a white lie that you will love to make
repeat after me.. i misinterpreted the rulez.. lol
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA, DL
Thanks for this helpful thread. We don't live in a community property state, and my wife does make a small income, but she just recently went 1 for 3 on apps. Granted, I think part of the problem was a mistake on my part having her apply for 2 chase cards (Hyatt and Priority Club) but the recon lines didn't like her income when they asked (on the app we used the total household income). I guess I should just chalk it up to a good learning experience and keep in mind for next time.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Just lie and be done with it.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 9:52 am

Help could be on the way

The CRPB will propose a rule change to the legistration this fall that will hopefull end this discrimination. Here is the article:
http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/24/pf/s...ntent=My+Yahoo
Hope fully this will open up the gates for all the stay at hope spouses!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
Just lie and be done with it.
+1 lol
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: EconoLodge Gold BedBug Elite
Originally Posted by merc1234
+1 lol
Lololol. I had just over $20,000 in credit card "credit" about a month after my 18th birthday. Thank you FirstUSA and WatMu!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.