Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card [Ends Dec 2017]

Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends in December 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html

ALL known links for ALL Citi Hilton Honors cards appear to be dead now.
-----------------------------

This thread is a continuation of: Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card (2012 - 2015)

Link no longer working: https://www.citicards.com/cards/cred...7A711D5L00101W

Link no longer working: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...s-reserve-card

- Earn two weekend night certificates - at select hotels and resorts - after making $2,500 in purchases.

- Enjoy Hilton HHonors Gold Status as long as you are a Citi Hilton Reserve cardmember

- Annual Fee: $95,
not waived

From the app page:
"Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had any CitiHilton HHonorsTM card opened or closed in the past 24 months"."Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months." (Language change to "any" dates back to August 2016.)

When will I receive my free nights?
Some datapoints indicate that the certificates are emailed ~7 days after the statement in which the spend is met, but others datapoints indicate that it may take 1-2 additional statement cycles before they're actually sent.

How long do I have to use the free nights?
The certificates expire 12 months from the date that they're emailed to you. Your stay must be completed on or before this expiration date.

Do I need to print the certificates and take them with me?
Yes. Some people say they haven't been asked for them, but it's much better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

Can the free weekend certs be redeemed online?
No, you have to call the HHonors department to book them. Even regular Hilton reservations cannot book them, although they can transfer you to the right department.

so the 2-browser trick is dead. can we still apply two HH Reserve card every 65 days, with same HH #, and get four certificates?
Several people have reported successfully churning this card, and receiving the certificates for both cards. Closing one card before applying for another doesn't appear to be required.

You can still get as many as you want of the Citi Hilton 50k cards (except that CITI only allows two cards of any type every 60-65 days).all 50k card offers without 18 month language dead as of 7/5/15

Can you get the anniversary free night bonus without paying the annual fee, or do you get the free night bonus only if you hit $10,000 in charges AND renew?
This seems to be YMMV. Some people have reported not getting it until well after their AF payment is due, while others have reported getting it in time to cancel and have their AF refunded. More data points on this are needed.

Terms and conditions for the free nights
Friday, Saturday & Sunday night, and I don't think there are any blackout nights (beyond the normal HHonors program rules). Here is the description from the Cert as well as the T&C's:

Description: You've received this reward certificate because you've met the purchase requirements with your Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve card. This reward is valid for one complimentary weekend night for a standard room at participating hotels worldwide, subject to availability. This reward is not valid at All-Inclusive or Distinctive properties and cannot be combined with the 5th Night Free benefit or other promotions. Please visit HHonors.com/weekendcertificate to see a list of excluded properties.

GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
As with any HHonors Reward, this Reward Certificate is subject to all HHonors Terms & Conditions on participation, use, and redemption, posted at http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/terms.do. The hotel stay received with this Hotel Reward Certificate shall be treated as a Hotel Reward Stay, as defined in the Terms & Conditions, except Points & Money, Premium Room and Room Upgrade Rewards cannot be used with this Certificate.

HOTEL REWARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Reward Certificate is not transferable after issued and may be redeemed only by the individual named thereon, consistent with HHonors Terms & Conditions. If a person other than the individual named on the Reward Certificate attempts to redeem it, the Certificate will be deemed void and accommodations will be denied.
2. Reward Certificate may not be sold, auctioned, bartered, brokered or purchased except with the express written consent of Hilton HHonors. Any Reward Certificate obtained in this manner by any person or entity will be considered to be fraudulently obtained and will be deemed void if transferred for cash or other consideration. Altered Reward Certificates are void and will not be honored.
3. Reward Certificate may not be combined with other certificates, discounts, packages or promotional offers, or Hotel Reward stays beyond Standard Room Rewards, unless otherwise specified in writing by Hilton HHonors.
4. Reward Certificate cannot be redeemed for cash, prizes or credit. Reward Certificate is not exchangeable.
5. Reward Certificate will not be replaced, reissued or credited if lost, stolen or otherwise destroyed.
6. Reward Certificate is void if copied, prohibited or restricted by law.
7. HHonors members will not earn points or miles for Hotel Reward stays, unless otherwise stated on the Reward Certificate.
8. Reward Certificate expires on the date noted on the face of the Reward Certificate.
9. Reward Certificate must be redeemed in strict accordance with the procedures specified on the certificate.
10. For the purpose of Certificate redemption, a weekend night is defined as a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night, unless specified otherwise on the Reward Certificate.
11. Reward Certificate applies to the room rate and tax of one standard room at a participating hotel and as further provided on the Certificate. A "Standard room" is as defined by the hotel. Any tax liability incurred in connection with the receipt and/or use of this Certificate, including, but not limited to, local or city occupancy taxes, or individual income tax is the sole responsibility of the user. Incidental charges are the responsibility of the user.
12. Reward Certificate usage is limited to Double Occupancy. Additional occupants, age 19 and above, are subject to the standard extra person charges.
13. Reward Certificate reservations must be guaranteed with a credit card. Some hotels may require a deposit in lieu of a credit card guarantee. Deposits cannot be waived for Reward Certificate reservations. Reward Certificate reservations that are cancelled outside of the time frame set by the hotel's individual cancellation policy will be charged one night's room and tax at the hotel's minimum rate for that date.
14. Reward Certificate is valid for the number of nights noted under the description on the face of the Certificate. If the Certificate is valid for more than one night, all nights must be used and the Certificate redeemed for a single stay that includes up to all Certificate nights. The Certificate cannot be broken down and/or redeemed for more than one stay. Any unused nights will be forfeited and will not be replaced or credited.
15. No credit or substitutions will be given for any Reward Certificate including those that are only partially used.
16. Promotional Rewards are for Standard Rooms only.
17. Hotel stays resulting from Reward Certificate are non-commissionable to travel agents.
18. Recipients of Reward Certificate may be required to sign a release of liability and a statement permitting the use of their name and/or photo for promotional purposes without additional compensation.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card [Ends Dec 2017]

Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I did do all that spend for both myself and DW, so we got the 2 certs. But that was when I could do totally free MS with Redbird and T-M, neither of which work for me anymore. Now being so close to 18 months, and having already paid the AFs, we are holding on, and will reapply for new cards.

But what to do after that is a dilemma, since the cost to MS $20K is so high now. I may very well decide to cancel the old cards as soon as we get the new ones. And then cancel the new cards as soon as the sign up certs post, so as to reset the clock as soon as possible without paying a second set of AFs.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
Yea I may start closing citi accounts right after bonus posts to avoid having to pay AF in order to keep clock from resetting. I am a little wary about how citi will react if I start doing this with multiple cards.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Red259
Yea I may start closing citi accounts right after bonus posts to avoid having to pay AF in order to keep clock from resetting. I am a little wary about how citi will react if I start doing this with multiple cards.
Can't predict the future, of course. But in the past, many of us applied for a dozen or more EXEC cards, did the spend immediately, and quickly canceled the cards as soon as the miles hit our AA accounts, thus avoiding paying the AF even once. What did Citi do about that? They instantly approved our next app for another EXEC.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SPG
If I cancel the card after I received the cert and paid the annual fee. Will I receive a pro-rated amount of the AF or will I loose the cert?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SW Companion
5th night free

Can I combine points and a certificate in order to take advantage of 5th night free? I see the wiki states:

"3. Reward Certificate may not be combined with other certificates, discounts, packages or promotional offers, or Hotel Reward stays beyond Standard Room Rewards, unless otherwise specified in writing by Hilton HHonors."
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:36 pm

No you can't combine them, even though the cert res will look like a points res.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SW Companion
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
No you can't combine them, even though the cert res will look like a points res.
Bummer...thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:38 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I do not remember starting this thread... cool.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: A few
has anyone had any success getting an expired cert extended? I just realized my cert expired 2/21
Old Feb 27, 2016, 7:38 pm

I wanted to use one for a stay 6 days after expiry, so researched it pretty thoroughly and never saw a report of successfully extending the expiry. There were isolated reports of booking before expiry and staying after, however, it was rare and you wouldn't want to rely on it. Unfortunately, even that small chance isn't available to you because you would need to get a phone rep to book from an expired cert. I don't think your chances are good.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Has anybody tried applying for the card over 18 months after last applying, but less than 18 months after canceling? Didn't pay attention to the new rules before canceling mine.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Has anybody tried applying for the card over 18 months after last applying, but less than 18 months after canceling? Didn't pay attention to the new rules before canceling mine.
Here is the problem with that question. Even if there are a few reports of that resulting in an approval with a cert, the risk is that Citi may well approve your app and give you a card. Then after you do the min spnd they could refuse to give you a cert. And that will still count as having opened a card, and would reset the 18 month clock. So if you just recently canceled the last card, and can easily meet the spend, you might want to try that. But if you canceled, say when the AF came up 3 months ago, you might be putting yourself 15 more months away from another sign up bonus.

Last edited by RobertHanson; Mar 3, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Based on my recent experience, it seems they send the free anniversary night certificate immediately after you pay the statement that comes after the one your annual fee is charged on.

AF posted on February statement. Paid.
Only regular charges on March statement. Paid March 4.
Certificate in my email this morning. March 5.

I'm using the cert for a stay in May, so I may try to cancel for a prorated refund after that, or I may keep it just for Hilton stays depending on what my travel schedule looks like this year.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:11 am

Hello,

I received the Citi Hilton Reserve card on 3/10. I have already met the minimum spend. I'd like to get the certificates as soon as possible to make the bookings that I want (which are far out Feb 2017, but still want to lock it down). Has anyone had any success in getting the certificates expedited. I was thinking about calling Citi and seeing if they would move up the statement close date.

All of my other Citi bonuses (prestige, thank you, AA) have posted right when the statement during which min spend was met closed. I would prefer not to wait until 4/12 when it closes, and also with the reports that it sometimes tkaes longer I want to get the process done asap.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Zhaunk
Same thing happened to me last week. Only one cert # in one email. I called in and they were able to see two. I had them applied to a king superior I had "on hold" at the WA Amsterdam for next NYE :-)
Were you able to get Hilton to actually hold a room, or did you just make a points booking and then have them swap the certs? Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by mike814
Hello,

I received the Citi Hilton Reserve card on 3/10. I have already met the minimum spend. I'd like to get the certificates as soon as possible to make the bookings that I want (which are far out Feb 2017, but still want to lock it down). Has anyone had any success in getting the certificates expedited. I was thinking about calling Citi and seeing if they would move up the statement close date.

All of my other Citi bonuses (prestige, thank you, AA) have posted right when the statement during which min spend was met closed. I would prefer not to wait until 4/12 when it closes, and also with the reports that it sometimes tkaes longer I want to get the process done asap.

Thanks for any advice.
In my experience, issuing the certs is not related to statement date, it was about two weeks after the spend date, regardless of the statement closing date. That is from the 4 cards that my wife and I have. There are often some hinky things that go on with them, so no guarantees. My wife's first two certs were issued to my Hilton account. All of the points from the card went to hers (and the renewal cert), but the first certs went to me. I was generous and let her stay with me

Edit: I just looked at the Wiki and it contradicts my experience, so YMMdefinitelyV

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.