Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 18, 12, 3:21 am   #1

Programs: Marriott, SPG, IHG Plat; Hyatt, BW Diamond; Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred
Applied for 2 Barclays cards; apps under review

I was surprised to see my apps under review. I guess too many hard pulls over the last 2 years - this makes 3.
I applied for the no annual fee Wyndham and Best Western cards. While I don't use those chains very often, I wanted the signup points in case I need a hotel last minute and am out of low cost options.

I haven't gotten many credit cards until recently. I picked up my maximum Chase cards a month ago, as my credit lines needed to be moved around in order to get a Hyatt Visa.
I also added a SPG AmEx card last month. And got a Citi Hhonors Visa a few days ago.

My CreditKarma listed Transrisk score is 780, down a few points.
My income is high enough that I shouldn't have an issue qualifying.
I pay off all credit card balances every month so I haven't maxed out any lines of credit.

Other than applying for several cards over the past 3 months, my only other credit dings are:
Average age of credit lines is 3yrs 2mos. I don't have any credit other than credit cards (no debt) and the new cards have brought down my average age of credit lines.
Total accounts: 15. Apparently that's low.
Hard credit inquiries in last 2 years. 3. I guess that's too high.

After I give Barclays a while to decide what to do, I'll likely try to get the HHonors AmEx and Gold Delta Skymiles AmEx. After that, I'm done for a bit until I cancel the Southwest Chase Visa and replace it with the United Mileage Plus Explorer card.
I may also go for the Citi Platinum AA card if I think I can sneak that one in.

I'm currently just trying to stockpile miles and points for those times that they're needed. I don't need airmiles but hotel points are nice; I pay for hotel rooms out of my pocket ~6 days/month.

Finally, I thought that Barclays was fairly easy. I was surprised to not get instant approval. Am I pushing for too many credit cards? Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Old Jul 19, 12, 5:58 pm   #2
Original Member

Programs: Editor and webmaster, www.freefrequentflyermiles.com
I suggest you call the Barclays reconsideration number, 866-408-4065. You will be connected directly with a credit analyst.