Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

"Museums on Us" for Bank of America cardholders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:08 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

Yes, there is more to life than Miles & Points

http://museums.bankofamerica.com/
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:16 pm

I have used this BofA perk most recently at the MIM in PHX a great Music Instrument Museum with a cafeteria that has high end dishes like places in Europe. No Taco Bell, Mcdonalds, or crappy cafeteria food. We had a nice day.

FYI...THE MIM CHECKED EACH PERSONS DRIVER'S LICENSE AND NAME MATCHED IT to BofA card. No exceptions were made for the people next to us and at least one or two had to pay entrance fee.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:08 am

Just curious:
Any idea if this would work using a Virgin Atlantic Amex by BofA? It says BofA on the back only, so I doubt it, but if someone has made it work, I would love to hear about it!
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:11 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
A member helpfully pointed out that this offer has run in previous years, and was discussed in another forum. No mention of which cards were used, but I cannot think of any reason that the Virgin Atlantic card would not be accepted:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m...promotion.html
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as it shows BofA logo

Any credit card / debit card issued by BofA would work. It has been a long-running program with museums coming and going in the program. Some locales have great participation such as Chicago - those free admission can save you big bucks. Some locales simply dont have much "heavy weight" museums to offer, such as here in South Florida,
Old May 29, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Resurrecting an old thread since I happen to have a few hours to kill when near DIA the first weekend of the month.

How aware are museums of this program (will there be much explaining and calls for managers)?
Old May 29, 2016, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Resurrecting an old thread since I happen to have a few hours to kill when near DIA the first weekend of the month.

How aware are museums of this program (will there be much explaining and calls for managers)?
Been to a couple of museums in Philly

First one (at counter) actually asked if I had boa, and reminded people about the program

Second one accepted it without issues (still needed personal info like name/address/email for spam)
Old May 29, 2016, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Been to a couple of museums in Philly

First one (at counter) actually asked if I had boa, and reminded people about the program

Second one accepted it without issues (still needed personal info like name/address/email for spam)
Great. And if I happened to be passing through Philly, which BoA-eligible museums would you recommend?
Old May 30, 2016, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great. And if I happened to be passing through Philly, which BoA-eligible museums would you recommend?
I don't think it's as simple as that.

For one thing, I'm not sure how stable the museum list is. In other words, are the museums exactly the same from year to year? (And it doesn't like you're have plans yet to be in Philly on the first weekend of some month. Remember, it's only weekend a month that Museums On Us works.)

Second, in the case of some museums, much (sometimes all) of the museum is special time-limited exhibits. One exhibit may be much better than the next one. But in the case of exhibits, you need very timely recommendations (relative to your trip), not general recommendations for future possible trips.

I compare the Musuems On Us list to my AAA tour books (I belong to AAA), but if you don't belong to AAA you could use TripAdvisor or some other source of recommendations. But I combine that with visiting the musuems' websites and seeing what exhibitions they have, and it's often an exhibition that looks interesting which guides my final decision.

There is no such airport code as DIA. Do you mean DEN, DTW, or someplace else?

Please spell out city names if you don't know the correct airport codes. Thanks.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thank you for starting this thread, mia, and thank you for bumping it, EkekoBWI. I had no idea that this (limited) benefit existed.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:48 am

Recently, I did philly museum of art, national constitutional center

Depends what you want to see... both are interesting
Old May 30, 2016, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by serpens
Thank you for starting this thread, mia, and thank you for bumping it, EkekoBWI. I had no idea that this (limited) benefit existed.
This gets my vote for most obscure CC benefit. Still, easy to cover one's af in admission alone, if so inclined.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

IME they are generally pretty aware of it. I last used it at the Met in NYC and they have a specific ticket for it so it prints out as BoA $0. Keep in mind the list of museums does change from time to time.
Old May 30, 2016, 1:45 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
There is no such airport code as DIA. Do you mean DEN, DTW, or someplace else?
I think it's a local thing in Denver, they like to call DEN D I A.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It varies from museum to museum, but I've not yet had a problem to date with the very first clerk knowing about it. At some museums, they have signs on those weekends mentioning that weekend is free with a BofA card, and at a very few museums I've even seen it explained on the permanent price list. But some other museums have no signage about it, you have to know about the program to know to show your BofA card (unless perhaps you're trying to pay with one and they notice it, I dunno, I've never tried to pay).

I would suggest you may want to get familiar with it in your home city first (assuming there are any participating museums in your home city and assuming there's a first weekend of the month when you're home before your travel to another city where you want to use it), that way you'll have a better idea of how it works when traveling.

You obviously want them to clearly see that it's a BofA card. I thus prefer to carry my no-fee BofA card which has the BofA logo huge all over the front (a card I keep just to keep history with BofA). If you have no such card, and the BofA logo is on the back, I suggest you hold card in such a way that it's clear to them that there's a BofA logo there (they aren't likely to necessarily know every kind of partner card BofA has).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.