Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Question Suggestions?

I do not want to pay annual fees unless the fee is worth it. What would some of you veterans suggest for the following situation?

I currently have the following cards with their 1-year anniversary dates:

Chase Sapphire Preferred: 4/20/2013
Chase Priority Club Select: 4/13/2013
Chase United MileagePlus: 5/31/2013
AMEX Starwood Preferred: 4/17/2013
AMEX Starwood Preferred Business: 4/19/2013

My credit score is a 759 (creditkarma.com). My current go-to spending card is the Chase Sapphire and I make 1 small purchase per month on the rest of the cards to be a good customer.

Lastly, I have not used any of the earned miles/points yet. Suggestions on how to not lose them?

Last edited by neekolas86; Feb 12, 2013 at 9:47 pm Reason: *Chase Sapphire Preferred
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The only points you would "lose" when you cancel the card is the Chase Sapphire, but that is a free card ... do you have the Sapphire Preferred?

The Chase PC Card costs $49, but you get a free night that can be used at any property, making the fee very worth it.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:38 pm

I am no veteran on the CC churning (that's for sure), not even really a 'churner'.

However, I can tell you the AMEX SPG card is a worthwhile card to think about keeping.
The points transfer to many airlines on a 1:1 ratio (making the card worthwhile for the annual fee).

This was my only card for the last many years. I would not want to part with it, and I have read many veterans post that this is 'their go to card' as well.

Just a thought.

Last edited by shoreline; Feb 12, 2013 at 7:45 pm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by neekolas86
I do not want to pay annual fees unless the fee is worth it. What would some of you veterans suggest for the following situation?

I currently have the following cards with their 1-year anniversary dates:

Chase Sapphire Preferred: 4/20/2013
Chase Priority Club Select: 4/13/2013
Chase United MileagePlus: 5/31/2013
AMEX Starwood Preferred: 4/17/2013
AMEX Starwood Preferred Business: 4/19/2013

My credit score is a 759 (creditkarma.com). My current go-to spending card is the Chase Sapphire and I make 1 small purchase per month on the rest of the cards to be a good customer.

Lastly, I have not used any of the earned miles/points yet. Suggestions on how to not lose them?
Are you asking us which card(s) you should keep? Your points don't expire as long as you have an account with those cards and is in good standing. What kind of point user are you? Cash back? Transfer to airlines/hotels? Shopping online with your points?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:45 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Ultimately it's a card-by-card analysis, and also keyed to your other cards. For example, I was not going to keep my United card, but I had a $500 car rental claim this year and I'm thinking that the fact this coverage is primary might make it worthwhile. I'd had an Amex Preferred Rewards Gold for years, but I cancelled it because I will keep my Amex Plat since I'm traveling a lot and like the lounge access. Was going to cancel our (wife's and my) USAir cards, but I think they give $10K miles with each $89 renewal. I can't sensibly keep every card, as we have about 15-20 open right now, but I may keep more than I thought. A slight advantage is that for many airlines, points expire if you have no activity in 12 or 18 months, and having the card ensures that airline's miles won't expire. Not that it's hard to generate an activity to keep them alive.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I am going to downgrade the United Mileage Plus and both AMEX cards to no fee, keep the Priority Club Rewards card for the free hotel night, and downgrade Sapphire Preferred to the no fee after I transfer all my Ultimate Rewards points to a partner.

This is my first actual credit card churn so I'm trying to play my cards right. Later this year I want to acquire another AMEX card and the Chase Ink Plus and possibly another card, who knows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.