Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Credit card rental coverage for loaner car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know if the rental coverage provided by Visa (Specifically CapitalOne signature Visa) covers damages to a dealer provided loaner car? Basically, had a rock hit a windshield on a loaner I was driving, and the dealer insisted on factory glass so the repair cost was over $1,500. My personal auto insurance covered it, save for the $500 deductible and I was wondering if my credit card would cover the rest since I used it to pay for the service to my car that resulted in me getting a loaner in the first place.

I figure it's a long shot, the fine print doesn't say either way. I'm not sure if for the sake of coverage, a loaner is considered a rental or not (and this was a loaner owned by the dealership, not an Enterprise rental that they paid for). Thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knew before I called.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Basic rule of reading coverage is that it's not covered unless the contract (terms & conditions) says it's covered. Take a look at the definitions section and it should define the term "rental car" since that's the term you say is referred to later.

If a provision "doesn't say either way" it doesn't say it.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

I've wondered the same. Most of the T&C says rental paid with CC as discussed in threads related to coverage when redeeming free days.

Figured if there was damages I'd ask the dealer to charge the "loaner" at their rental rate to activate coverage. Know that my dealer does execute rental agreements for those not eligible for loaners, as well as charge fees if I don't return the loaner on time. (Like $90 per day). That $90 would be worth it if my CC has primary coverage.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:11 pm

Segments, what you propose would be purchasing insurance after the loss occurs, which is insurance fraud.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:57 am

I was wondering about this question as well
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Zorn_
I was wondering about this question as well
You know this is a 6 years old thread right? But I am pretty sure there will be no credit card rental coverage if you don't have to pay with that credit card for the "loaner". Now if the dealer uses a rental company (which many do) AND you have to pay for it with your credit card then it will be just like a car rental except it's at reduced rate.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
BMW loaner car

My BMW dealership provided a loaner car when my car was in for repair. The form I had to sign for the loaner was titled "Rental Agreement". There was no charge for the rental but I had to provide a credit card in order to take the loaner. I provided my Chase Ink card. When using the loaner, a rock flew up and cracked the plastic front grill. BMW charged my Ink card the cost of replacing the grill. I claimed the cost under the Ink rental car coverage. Chase denied the claim on the ground that the entire cost of the car rental (i.e. $0) was not charged to the card. Does anyone think I can successfully appeal this decision?
Old May 16, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mr retired
My BMW dealership provided a loaner car when my car was in for repair. The form I had to sign for the loaner was titled "Rental Agreement". There was no charge for the rental but I had to provide a credit card in order to take the loaner. I provided my Chase Ink card. When using the loaner, a rock flew up and cracked the plastic front grill. BMW charged my Ink card the cost of replacing the grill. I claimed the cost under the Ink rental car coverage. Chase denied the claim on the ground that the entire cost of the car rental (i.e. $0) was not charged to the card. Does anyone think I can successfully appeal this decision?
No.... they’re correct, nothing was ever charged to the card, which is necessary to activate coverage.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
In the future, should I always ask my dealer to charge me $1 for my free loaner car so that I can put it on a card with good CDW coverage (primary coverage like my Chase Sapphire Reserve)? Will this work if I have a claim?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.