Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

New BoA Travel Rewards Credit Cards, up to 2.625% travel credits.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
BankAmericard Travel Rewards Credit Card

20K points after $1,000 spend within 90 days.
No annual fee
No foreign transaction fees

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...credit-card.go
Print Wikipost

New BoA Travel Rewards Credit Cards, up to 2.625% travel credits.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by quizzer25
I'm planning to invest in vanguard ETF's like VTI, VXUS, VWO, VEA etc.
Mine is split between VTI and VXUS. I had to trade online to set up the investments, the trades are free and easy. I had to call a few times to deal with the rollover, but that was a complication based on the securities I was moving over. You need a checking account also. I am two months since opening the checking account and my "status" has not kicked in yet. Waiting for the third statement to cut.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
Mine is split between VTI and VXUS. I had to trade online to set up the investments, the trades are free and easy. I had to call a few times to deal with the rollover, but that was a complication based on the securities I was moving over. You need a checking account also. I am two months since opening the checking account and my "status" has not kicked in yet. Waiting for the third statement to cut.
Thanks. I rolled over from 2 prior 401'K's and the money went to ME IRA through check deposit.
Now the money is in the Merril Edge roll over IRA as cash.
For example if $100K is there, want to split between VTI and VXUS 50/50, do I trade to buy VTI and VXUS? Where do i specify i want to put $50K in VTI and $50K in VXUS? Is there an option after clicking the trade/buy button?

Appreciate your guidance.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:01 pm

New BoA Travel Rewards Credit Cards, up to 2.1% travel credits.

I just left a BofA branch and I noticed the travel card has a new look to it. looks nicer than the existing one. don't have an image yet.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:03 pm

Thanks. I rolled over from 2 prior 401'K's and the money went to ME IRA through check deposit.
Now the money is in the Merril Edge roll over IRA as cash.
For example if $100K is there, want to split between VTI and VXUS 50/50, do I trade to buy VTI and VXUS? Where do i specify i want to put $50K in VTI and $50K in VXUS? Is there an option after clicking the trade/buy button?

Appreciate your guidance.
You buy like any other stock. Go to Trade > Stock/ETF (https://olui2.fs.ml.com/Equities/OrderEntry.aspx). Then pick buy, enter the symbol, and click "Calculate by $ amount" and type in the amount, then click "Update shares" which will tell you how many shares that is:

Then hit "Save Shares" and go back and hit preview order then submit order and you're done.

Last edited by NYCFlyer10001; Apr 18, 2015 at 1:03 pm Reason: resize img
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:47 pm

Yes, that ^^.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
You buy like any other stock. Go to Trade > Stock/ETF (https://olui2.fs.ml.com/Equities/OrderEntry.aspx). Then pick buy, enter the symbol, and click "Calculate by $ amount" and type in the amount, then click "Update shares" which will tell you how many shares that is:

Then hit "Save Shares" and go back and hit preview order then submit order and you're done.
Thank you very much for the nice and detailed explanation.
Very helpful for a newbie like me.
Will transact this week.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:36 pm

I paid my tax with this card last week, even with a 1.87% charge, it was a good deal. It would not have made sense on most other cards.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:11 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by trikotret
I just left a BofA branch and I noticed the travel card has a new look to it. looks nicer than the existing one. don't have an image yet.
The images of the new card designs are up on BofA's website. Not that I usually care too much about a card's design, but I have to say I think they are a vast improvement ^
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I have to say I'm not unhappy with the designs, especially with other banks going to bizarre designs using stickers instead of embossing for your card number (Citi) and putting your info on the back (Citi and Chase).
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:37 pm

To save you from having to go click on BoA's website:

Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:04 pm

New BoA Travel Rewards Credit Cards, up to 2.1% travel credits.

So the designed only changed and no additional benefits to the card
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:38 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by trikotret
So the designed only changed and no additional benefits to the card
Considering this card already offers what is in essence up to 2.625% cash back from a card with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees, I doubt that BofA feels the need to increase the benefits
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:34 pm

Wow the new design is so much better. Can I call BOA for a new card just for the new design? Although this card is still sock drawered since I got the signup bonus.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
Thank you.

Based on yours and few others feedback, I'm planning to start with these funds:

VTI 45
VOE 5
VBR 5
VXUS 20
ACWV 10
VEA 5
BND 5
BNDX 5

My questions are:

1)Should I wait for the market to go down in the next few days to start buying or do right away?
2)I'm assuming all these 4 ETF's are available in my Merrill Edge rollover IRA that i opened last week and has $100K transferred from my prior 401K.
3)Based on 1 can I just buy the ETF's and keep checking returns after every year? does it need rebalancing? If yes how frequently?

Last edited by quizzer25; Apr 23, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:35 pm

1)Should I wait for the market to go down in the next few days to start buying or do right away?
2)I'm assuming all these 4 ETF's are available in my Merrill Edge rollover IRA that i opened last week and has $100K transferred from my prior 401K.
3)Based on 1 can I just buy the ETF's and keep checking returns after every year? does it need rebalancing? If yes how frequently?
might want to go to a finance specific place (eg www.reddit.com/r/portfolios, boglehead forums etc). this thread is about the travel rewards credit card

1) don't time the market... you can try Dollar Cost Averaging (DCA, i.e. put 10% every week, to minimize risk and get the best "average" cost), but some have said it's best to do lump sum investing. You are implicitly doing DCA anyways (100k this year, 10k every year for the next 20+years)

https://pressroom.vanguard.com/conte..._Averaging.pdf

2) seems like all the ETFs you listed are available at Merrill Edge. Do some research on the Edge... I've heard cases where people were bumped up to Merill Lynch when they had >250k in their Edge accounts, and don't qualify for the Edge benefits (free 100 trades/month)

3) Personal choice. I myself don't care enough to rebalance. anything more than monthly/quarterly is overkill. yearly is fine. try not to sell & rebuy(causing a taxable event) unless it's in a tax-shielded account or you want to harvest losses etc

Last edited by paperwastage; Apr 24, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.