Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Andrews FCU Chip & PIN card application process & usage reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andrews FCU Chip & PIN card application process & usage reports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Here is my experience with the Andrews FCU Globetrek Visa.

I'm here in Europe for 3 months spending the entire summer here. Before the trip, I wanted to find a card that was true chip + PIN and also that waived forex fees and earn miles/points if possible.

I saw the new Citibank AAdvantage Elite Executive World Mastercard that was Chip + Signature and indeed it waives ALL Forex fees. I applied for it and it showed at my doorstep within 3 days after being automatically approved online. I already have another card with Citibank. The downside is the annual fee of $450/year.

Then I found out about this Andrews FCU reading about it on a blog online. I applied online and it said online they would have an answer within a few hours and gave me a confirmation # to check on it.

Well the status never changed so I called in the next day. To my surprise they asked me for a long list of things that they needed including my last tax return with the IRS, utility bills, telephone bill and even the property tax statement for my house! Never in my life have I had to provide a bank any of these types of things to open a credit card. My FICO score is 817 and I have no debt whatsoever. I was really surprised.

I think my biggest mistake is on the application it asks what credit limit you request. All of my other credit cards have very high limits over $50,000+ so I put down $25,000 not really thinking about it. But I think that is why they needed to get so many documents plus the fact I've lived overseas outside of the USA for many years.

I did get the request approved after sending those documents in but it was still a hassle because I had to fill out another form that they had to email me. They never emailed me it. I had to call in and constantly check what I had to do next which was annoying. At least I didn't have to mail it back in. I just signed it online with Docusign and they accepted it. But even after ALL of this, they inform me that I can't just have the credit card account. That I have to open up a checking or savings account! So they send me forms to print out, I have to send in 2 forms of ID and a check to open up a savings account.

But to be honest it was a real pain in the rear. Especially considering that I got the Citibank Elite World Mastercard in just 3 days after applying online and never having to even speak to anyone on the phone. To boot they gave me a $60,000 credit limit.

Now I'm here in Paris and used the card a few times just to see how it would work. The funny thing is all of this trouble to get it and not once has it asked to input a PIN #!! LOL.

I think the biggest feature that they are pushing is they are one of the only USA cards that offer Chip + PIN but to be honest it's not really Chip + PIN. It's chip + Signature just like my other card. Every time I've used it here in Paris, it prints out a receipt and I have to sign it. Granted, it hasn't been rejected at all but it's not really a PIN which I prefer for the security aspects so if you lose your card no one can use it without entering the PIN #.

Now, I won't even use it as the Citibank Elite card works everywhere (even the Metro stations).

My advice for anyone that wants to apply for the Andrews FCU Globetrek is to put a low credit limit as to not hassle with all this paperwork. From start to finish it took almost 3 weeks. Big hassle for a card that isn't a true Chip + PIN.

And the thing I worry about, like the other OP, my charges from over a week ago aren't showing up online. I'm not sure if this online account is supposed to show my balance. I log in to my Savings account and below it has another section for my Credit card but I'm not sure if this is my credit card balances but charges from over a week ago still aren't showing up so not sure what the deal is?

And for the other person that asked..they pulled the credit report from Experian.

Last edited by saint; Jun 4, 2012 at 11:24 am
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
You might want to remove the Andrews FCU Globetrek card from your Chip + PIN list. I went through the hassle of getting one and I'm here in Paris now and it's really not a Chip + PIN..it's really a Chip + Signature. Every single place I've used it, it's printed out a receipt to sign just like the Citibank Elite World Executive MC that I got before the trip.

In fact, I've just been using the Citibank Elite MC now as they charge absolutely NO forex fees.

I posted in detail on the Andrews thread but this doesn't seem like a Chip + PIN at all. More like Chip + Signature.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by saint
To my surprise they asked me for a long list of things that they needed including my last tax return with the IRS, utility bills, telephone bill and even the property tax statement for my house! Never in my life have I had to provide a credit card company any of these types of things. My FICO score is 817 and I have no debt whatsoever. I was really surprised.
Andrews FCU is a credit union that mainly serves members of the US military and DoD employees withing the DC-MD-NJ area so the hassle is understandable. Globetrotting corporate road warriors and backpackers racking up frequent flyer miles are not their usual clientele. Unless your W-2 or paystub has something to do with the US military or US Department of Defense written on it, you're likely to be asked for more paperwork. OTOH, since anyone can join Andrews FCU via joining the ACC, it is still far easier than switching jobs to go work for the UN or work for the State of NC just for getting a Chip-and-PIN card!

It's also my first credit union that I joined (so far only banked at BofA) and was surprised how difficult it was just to open a simple checking and savings account with them. Took me a while to figure out how to make deposits at the VCOM machines at 7-Eleven and the need to remember your account number when making deposits at shared branches. Does need a bit getting used to, patience, and long planning when dealing with CUs.

My word of advice:

If you plan to go abroad and foresee a need for Chip-and-PIN, work out getting the Globetrek VISA a long time ahead.

I think the biggest feature that they are pushing is they are one of the only USA cards that offer Chip + PIN but to be honest it's not really Chip + PIN. It's chip + Signature just like my other card. Every time I've used it here in Paris, it prints out a receipt and I have to sign it. Granted, it hasn't been rejected at all but it's not really a PIN which I prefer for the security aspects so if you lose your card no one can use it without entering the PIN #.
The consensus so far has been that Globetrek can handle both Chip-and-Signature and Chip-and-PIN, and that signature authentication is set as a higher priority than PIN in places that can take either or, most likely being places where you deal with live merchants.

OTOH, BeeNYC (Post #25) and RRossi (Post #34) has reported that in cases where Chip-and-PIN is needed (unattended gas stations, automated train kiosks and toll roads), the Chip-and-PIN does work.

That being said, having both Chip-and-Signature (set as higher priority) AND Chip-and-PIN (in instances where PIN is required), is still a good keeper when traveling abroad.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jun 4, 2012 at 4:37 pm
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
You might want to remove the Andrews FCU Globetrek card from your Chip + PIN list. I went through the hassle of getting one and I'm here in Paris now and it's really not a Chip + PIN..it's really a Chip + Signature. Every single place I've used it, it's printed out a receipt to sign just like the Citibank Elite World Executive MC that I got before the trip.

In fact, I've just been using the Citibank Elite MC now as they charge absolutely NO forex fees.

I posted in detail on the Andrews thread but this doesn't seem like a Chip + PIN at all. More like Chip + Signature.
Have you tried it at unattended gas stations, automated train ticket machines, and toll roads? Per reports by RRossi and BeeNYC on that same thread, the Chip-and-PIN does work.

The consensus is that Globetrek is capable of handing both Chip-and-Signature and Chip-and-PIN, with signature authentication set as a higher priority in places where it can handle either or. In instances where PIN is needed such as unattended gas stations, train ticketing machines, and toll roads where it's impossible to do signature authentication, that's when the Chip-and-PIN portion kicks in.

In that light, I'll just update the worksheet to mention that it handles both.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA, IHG
I think my biggest mistake is on the application it asks what credit limit you request. All of my other credit cards have very high limits over $50,000+ so I put down $25,000 not really thinking about it. But I think that is why they needed to get so many documents plus the fact I've lived overseas outside of the USA for many years.
It would be interesting to hear more about this from other readers who have been approved from the card. I'll add my data point - I asked for (and received) a $10k limit, and the only paperwork requested of me was two recent pay stubs.

However, with all of the "manual" processing that goes along with this card and Andrews FCU, the required paperwork may be the kind of thing that is random and unpredictable - much like the rest of the card application/approval process
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Have you tried it at unattended gas stations, automated train ticket machines, and toll roads? Per reports by RRossi and BeeNYC on that same thread, the Chip-and-PIN does work.

The consensus is that Globetrek is capable of handing both Chip-and-Signature and Chip-and-PIN, with signature authentication set as a higher priority in places where it can handle either or. In instances where PIN is needed such as unattended gas stations, train ticketing machines, and toll roads where it's impossible to do signature authentication, that's when the Chip-and-PIN portion kicks in.

In that light, I'll just update the worksheet to mention that it handles both.
Hmm..I'm not sure if it does both. I did buy some train tickets and also some metro tickets with it and at those it never asked for any PIN.

I'm renting a car here in a few weeks in the French Riviera so I'll check about unattended gas stations but so far it's never asked for a PIN number.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by KrustyVT
It would be interesting to hear more about this from other readers who have been approved from the card. I'll add my data point - I asked for (and received) a $10k limit, and the only paperwork requested of me was two recent pay stubs.

However, with all of the "manual" processing that goes along with this card and Andrews FCU, the required paperwork may be the kind of thing that is random and unpredictable - much like the rest of the card application/approval process
KrustyVT,

Thanks. It might just be that my employer is a foreign company outside of the USA. So I guess they weren't interested in pay stubs. But they did want to make sure that I filed a US tax return. Once I sent that there wasn't a problem. If memory serves correctly, they asked for the last two years tax returns. I sent them an IRS tax transcript which worked.

Krusty (or others), can you access your spending online? When I log into my account online to see my savings account, there is another that says Payment Account for Visa. It has a balance but it just stays $0 even after over a week's worth of charges. Are you able to access your charges online?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA, IHG
When I log into my account online to see my savings account, there is another that says Payment Account for Visa. It has a balance but it just stays $0 even after over a week's worth of charges. Are you able to access your charges online?
Not sure why they have that option there, but I don't think they tie in the charges from the CC. Pretty sure online banking account access is in one spot, and your CC (view charges/pay statement) is in a separate spot. Have you tried using the direct online access for the Visa card itself?

Andrews FCU - Visa Online
Old Jun 4, 2012, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Hmm..I'm not sure if it does both. I did buy some train tickets and also some metro tickets with it and at those it never asked for any PIN.
Were they automated kiosks? Which trains, which city and which system? Details would be helpful.

i.e.:

BeeNYC said in Post #25 of the Andrews FCU usage report thread:

Originally Posted by BeeNYC
I just returned from a two week stay in Nice, France where I was able to successfully use my Andrews FCU Chip and Pin in the ticket kiosk at the train station and at the automated ticket machine at the tram stops--many times. A big thank you to FlyerTalk for alerting me to the availability of this card.

It was especially satisfying to successfully use it in the Nice train station in spite of a warning sign on the kiosk stating that American credit cards will not work--yay!!

RRossi said in post #30 and post #34 of that same thread:

Originally Posted by RRossi
I just returned from a month in France, and I'm glad I took the time to get an Andrews FCU chip and pin card before I left. I used it principally at gas stations and metro/train stations in Bordeaux and Paris, plus the toll motorways a couple of times. A high percentage of gas stations are at supermarkets (which have the cheapest gas by far in France), and pretty much all of them were unattended. Plus I sometimes needed gas when no attended stations would be open anyway. The card was never rejected. The only thing that surprised me was that sometimes, particularly at shops, the machine didn't ask for a PIN and just approved the transaction, or else it required a signature.
Originally Posted by RRossi
I posted about this elswhere, but here's my recap: I used my Andrews card extensively at unattended gas stations and at train kiosks all over France, and it worked every time. I used it a few times at manned locations, and sometimes it asked for a PIN but then approved and asked for a signature, other tines it simply approved it w/o a PIN and/or signature.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jun 4, 2012 at 4:43 pm
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Originally Posted by kebosabi

The consensus so far has been that Globetrek can handle both Chip-and-Signature and Chip-and-PIN, and that signature authentication is set as a higher priority than PIN in places that can take either or, most likely being places where you deal with live merchants.

OTOH, BeeNYC (Post #25) and RRossi (Post #34) has reported that in cases where Chip-and-PIN is needed (unattended gas stations, automated train kiosks and toll roads), the Chip-and-PIN does work.

That being said, having both Chip-and-Signature (set as higher priority) AND Chip-and-PIN (in instances where PIN is required), is still a good keeper when traveling abroad.
That guy obviously didn't read the entire thread.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I had a similar experience obtaining this card as the " Saint". But I only requested 10K and did not have to send in any additional documentation other then the application ( no financial forms) and a few other things they supplied. It was a pain in the ... to get this card.

My only beef so far is that when you call you have to provide them with a password that can only be faxed or emailed to them in a written signed letter. I have done that 3 times over the last two weeks.....and a call last Friday the CSR told me I still have not supplied them with a password so he couldn't help me.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by KrustyVT
Not sure why they have that option there, but I don't think they tie in the charges from the CC. Pretty sure online banking account access is in one spot, and your CC (view charges/pay statement) is in a separate spot. Have you tried using the direct online access for the Visa card itself?

Andrews FCU - Visa Online

Thanks so much KrustyVT! I didn't know about that log in page. They never sent me anything at all regarding that page. I also asked them via phone and they never mentioned it. (Their customer service is lacking).
I set up to access the account online just now and it is working. Thanks again.

To the other poster that said I didn't read the entire thread. I did read the thread but only posting my observations. I have used it in self service machines including the metro to buy individual tickets and also recharge my metro card and it never asked for a PIN. My wife also used it to buy a train ticket from TGV to Milan and it also didn't ask for a PIN #.

Maybe it has the capabilities for Chip + PIN but so far we haven't experienced the PIN part of it.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:27 am

Does anyone know if Andrews requires (or desires) prior notice before traveling abroad?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wsflyer
Does anyone know if Andrews requires (or desires) prior notice before traveling abroad?
According to their Globetrek website:

http://www.andrewsfcu.org/destinationanywhere.html

Originally Posted by Andrews FCU
Do I still need to let you know if I’m traveling abroad?

Yes. When you travel outside your general area, it can signal alerts on your card – possibly causing a hold or denied credit. When you let us know your travel plans, we can put a note on your account to allow those transactions.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:28 am

... The funny thing is all of this trouble to get it and not once has it asked to input a PIN #!! LOL.
I haven't gone through the en tire thread both efore and after this post so forgive me if somebody else brought up what I'm supposed to say.

I read on some blog, maybe here, maybe elsewhere, the same complaint. It involved travel in Canada and somebody used the card and it turned out to be chip and signature and he didn't understand why and called customer service.

What he was told is that if the terminal is set to accept chip and signature, that is the default and a slip is printed for signature. However, if the terminal is not set to accept chip and signature, then it will become chip and pin and according to several here, it has worked in some of the unmanned and unwommaned places where others have reported chip and signature does not work.

Of course, while I have the card, it is only for emergencies as they charge a 1% foreign conversion fee and that's 1% too high for me.

Last edited by mia; Jun 7, 2012 at 11:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.