Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Andrews FCU Chip & PIN card application process & usage reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andrews FCU Chip & PIN card application process & usage reports

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Applied last week from the website directly. No membership application submitted. They pulled Experian. No decision received yet.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by skofarrell
They seem to be a pretty conservative CU. For those approved, What kind of credit lines have you been given?
Well, I purposely requested a low credit line since I'm only going to be using this card as a back up for those instances while traveling abroad in the EU or elsewhere in the world where chip + PIN is required as opposed to my traditional magnetic stripe card. I only asked for a $1k limit.

Now, when the application process is taken in the context of how one would go about applying for a credit card through a bank, for example, yes, the process for the Globe Trek Visa will seem like a PIB. However, we do need to keep in mind that they are a credit union, so there will be extra steps involved with joining the CU.

Overall I had no qualms with the process.

Eric
Old May 30, 2012, 9:41 am

Lightbulb Globetrek VISA in Ireland

I just returned from a week in Ireland with the Globetrek VISA. It never failed to work any time I used it, but I was never prompted for my PIN either. When I used it in restaurants and supermarkets it always printed out a signature slip, much to the surprise of the clerks. At automated parking kiosks the transactions always went through with no PIN or signature.

I called Andrews customer service when I got back. After some back and forth and a long period on hold they explained that each institution sets its own priority for verification methods on EMV cards. Andrews has the PIN at the bottom of their list, so users should only be prompted for their PIN if other methods are not available.

I explained that it was always a surprise when signature slips would print out on chip transactions, and a bit of a hassle. The agent I was speaking with agreed to pass along my feedback that it would be better in most cases if the PIN had higher priority than the signature on CHIP transactions.

I am not sure I would take any of this as gospel after one conversation with customer service, but it would explain the behavior I saw with the card.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by swood
...It never failed to work any time I used it, but I was never prompted for my PIN either. When I used it in restaurants and supermarkets it always printed out a signature slip,...
Also reported by RRossi in post 30. Welcome to FlyerTalk and thank you for asking Andrews for the explanation. This means that in your case a Chip & Signature card should have been sufficient at every location, while in RRossi's case the PIN feature was required for a few transactions.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by swood
I just returned from a week in Ireland with the Globetrek VISA. It never failed to work any time I used it, but I was never prompted for my PIN either. When I used it in restaurants and supermarkets it always printed out a signature slip, much to the surprise of the clerks. At automated parking kiosks the transactions always went through with no PIN or signature.

I called Andrews customer service when I got back. After some back and forth and a long period on hold they explained that each institution sets its own priority for verification methods on EMV cards. Andrews has the PIN at the bottom of their list, so users should only be prompted for their PIN if other methods are not available.

I explained that it was always a surprise when signature slips would print out on chip transactions, and a bit of a hassle. The agent I was speaking with agreed to pass along my feedback that it would be better in most cases if the PIN had higher priority than the signature on CHIP transactions.

I am not sure I would take any of this as gospel after one conversation with customer service, but it would explain the behavior I saw with the card.
Thanks for this info! I'm going to be in Dublin, Ireland, in November and am glad to learn I won't have any problems using it in the event my United Club Card (trad mag stripe) doesn't work or isn't accepted by an establishment.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:55 pm

Check back with them tomorrow. It is possible that they'll ask you to send last year's W2 as well as a recent paycheck stub. This is what they asked me to do. HTH.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by unavaca
Anyone know which credit agencies they hit when running the report?
They hit all three agencies in the last week ("New Trade Line"), and even hit Experian a week before that ("New Inquiry").
Old May 31, 2012, 12:37 pm

Decided to do this myself, since (a) I'm constantly annoyed by not being able to use the kiosks at UK rail stations with a signature card, and (b) have a trip planned to drive the Ring Road in Iceland, and two other people I've known to do it recommended either getting a chip-and-pin card, or a prepaid Icelandic gas card, so that you have more fueling opportunities in the back road of Iceland.

I should have just joined on of my many work trips to McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, but I did it online, and aside from taking a week to get all the stuff in the mail, it was relatively straightforward.
Old May 31, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
GlobalTrek Card Received

Originally Posted by KrustyVT
4/17 - Received the PIN for the card in the mail.
4/18 - Received the card in the mail and activated successfully.
I received and activated the card today, but have not yet received the PIN...maybe tomorrow.

I see from another posting that the PIN is not change-able.
Old May 31, 2012, 4:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
It probably can be changed at an EMV equipped ATM which can write the change to the chip. There are no such ATMs in the USA, but it might work in another country, if the issuer has implemented the feature. See this post regarding the process for changing the Diners Club (USA) PIN.
Old May 31, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA, IHG
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
The Andrews FCU website has been updated with a new FAQ that includes this:

The PIN issued to your card is pre-set with the magnetic strip and chip and therefore not customizable. Please memorize your PIN in order to use your new card anywhere outside the U.S., and at ATM locations throughout the states.
Old May 31, 2012, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by KrustyVT
The Andrews FCU website has been updated with a new FAQ that includes this:

The PIN issued to your card is pre-set with the magnetic strip and chip and therefore not customizable. Please memorize your PIN in order to use your new card anywhere outside the U.S., and at ATM locations throughout the states.
That seems to be the case with the barebones mag-stripe Andrews FCU ATM card that you receive in the mail when you first opened the Andrews FCU shared savings account and funded it with the minimum $5. The PIN on that ATM card is not changeable.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA, IHG
Originally Posted by kebosabi
That seems to be the case with the barebones mag-stripe Andrews FCU ATM card that you receive in the mail when you first opened the Andrews FCU shared savings account and funded it with the minimum $5. The PIN on that ATM card is not changeable.
Not sure about the ATM card itself, but the above statement is part of the FAQ on the page that is specific to the Visa Globetrek card:

Visa Globetrek - Andrews FCU
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Applied a week ago, received an email this evening asking for my paystub. I sent them my active duty LES from DFAS. Received a reply back with approval. I requested a mere $5000 limit, to which they did not have a problem.

I do have to fund my account $5 in order to qualify. I'm awaiting further instructions on that.

This is what they wrote:

Originally Posted by Andrews FCU

Congratulations!

You have been approved for your Visa request with a credit limit of $5,000 at 1.9% for the 1st nine months and 7.99% thereafter.

Globe Trek Rewards Visa
New Chip and PIN Technology as well as the magnetic strip
1.9% for the 1st nine months
No Cash Advance Fees
No Annual Fees
No Balance Transfer Fees
1 Point for Every Dollar Spent
and MORE!
If you choose to accept, membership will need to be established by opening a Savings account with a minimum deposit of $5.00. The $5.00 can be deposited by utilizing Shared Branching. Shared Branching allows you the option of making deposits/withdrawals from a local credit union that provides this type of service. Please let me know if you would like the following option available to you.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:37 am

I requested and received a 3k limit which I was frankly surprised by. I have a few other cards with higher limits so I thought they would not give me much. The process was back and forth via email and phone. A little tedious but their customer service reps were very friendly and helpful. I had the card shipped priority or some other expedited service and received it in about four business days. The PIN arrived later and I phoned home to get that from a friend checking my mail.

It worked great in Germany, France, Netherlands, and Spain but the signature bit was annoying when it occurred. I just wanted to use straight chip and pin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.