Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priceline Visa - 2% cashback everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2011, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold, National Executive-Selection
Priceline Visa: Anyone got the details

So I received this offer today via e-mail:

Introducing the new Priceline Rewards Visa Card

5,000 Bonus Points upon first use
4 Points on all priceline Name Your Own Price purchases
3 Points on all eligible priceline purchases
2 Points on a category you choose (groceries, home improvement or utilities)
1 Point on all other purchases

Apply now and get 5,000 points2

Just $29 Annual Fee

I am a grandfathered Travelocity Card holder and immediately it's clear that these terms are not better than those.

BUT... this is a Visa and the Travelocity card is an Amex, so that's one thing in this card's favor. Secondly it says that you can use points towards redemption on any purchase over $25 -- not just travel. So that's obviously very intriguing.

The one thing that's missing are the redemption details. Has anyone found them? Anyone know what they are? The fine print simply says that they vary, "according to the type of transaction" (or something like that).
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
https://www.pricelinevisa.com/apply/...4&cellNumber=2

Hover on each of the orange rectangles to read
Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold, National Executive-Selection
Originally Posted by mia
https://www.pricelinevisa.com/apply/...4&cellNumber=2

Hover on each of the orange rectangles to read
Thanks! I had seen that information and the question that I still have is how many points have to be redeemed? Is it a 1-2% rebate like FlexPerks or is it closer to 4% like the Travelocity AMEX (old version)?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Talking Best travel card if...

This is one of the best travel card to have if you can do most of your NYOP and retail spend via the Priceline site ("4%" for NYOP and "3%" for all other retail spend as long as the purchase is paid for via the card (easiest for prepaid hotel and air tickets, seems tougher for car rentals)

I can tell you that as a Barclay/Juniper card, the redemption process has been very easy and well designed. I can also say that you may find some unpublished bonuses in terms of redemption that makes the card even more lucrative than listed.

Also, you need not have to get to a $400 or $800 redemption rate to get the straight redemption promised -- any purchase over $25 will be available for point including on those that accrued points on their own. There is not an issue when using an affiliate for your Priceline web purchase.

This is not a general purpose card (unless the chosen 2% category is of high interest to you) and best for those who travel extensively and can book through the namesake website. I think this reduces the problems that the Travelocity and other cards have (too many other ways to get points for redemption).

Rasheed
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:04 pm

Thanks Rasheed. You rock. I run a Priceline Forum and so I'm always looking for tips on Priceline, including Priceline credit card information. I live in Canada so i am not eligible for this card :-( 4% on NYOP is a sweet deal.

Last edited by ranman1973; Jul 22, 2011 at 7:14 pm
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
I just got an e-mail for the Priceline Visa. 5,000 pts for first use and 5x points on purchases.

My question si how do you use the points? I couldn't find anywhere that explained it nor could I talk to anyone that knew how it worked.

It does say that after I make a Priceline purchase I can get a credit? but what does that mean? I have 5,000 priceline pts and those translate to $5,000 worth of credit?

Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pkerr
I just got an e-mail for the Priceline Visa. 5,000 pts for first use and 5x points on purchases.

My question si how do you use the points? I couldn't find anywhere that explained it nor could I talk to anyone that knew how it worked.

It does say that after I make a Priceline purchase I can get a credit? but what does that mean? I have 5,000 priceline pts and those translate to $5,000 worth of credit?

Thanks
The points are applied as a statement credit to offset recent charges. So if you have 5,000 points you can get a credit for a charge up to $50. If you have 5,000 points and you have a charge for $43.23 you can get a credit of $43.23 for 4323 of your points leaving you with 677 points (these points remain in your point balance, you don't lose them).

I sure hope you typed wrong and do not expect any credit card to give you $5,000 for just opening the card and using it once.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
The points are applied as a statement credit to offset recent charges. So if you have 5,000 points you can get a credit for a charge up to $50. If you have 5,000 points and you have a charge for $43.23 you can get a credit of $43.23 for 4323 of your points leaving you with 677 points (these points remain in your point balance, you don't lose them).

I sure hope you typed wrong and do not expect any credit card to give you $5,000 for just opening the card and using it once.
That's why I asked the question. I would never expect a 1 to 1 ratio but I couldn't find anywhere that said what the ratio was. Maybe the 5,000 pts would be worth $500 or something. You get that kind of value from other cards. Southwest gave you 50,000 pts for a single purchase and that's worth around 2 1/2 tickets.

But only $50 for the 5,000 pts? I think I'll pass.

Thanks for the info.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pkerr
That's why I asked the question. I would never expect a 1 to 1 ratio but I couldn't find anywhere that said what the ratio was. Maybe the 5,000 pts would be worth $500 or something. You get that kind of value from other cards. Southwest gave you 50,000 pts for a single purchase and that's worth around 2 1/2 tickets.

But only $50 for the 5,000 pts? I think I'll pass.

Thanks for the info.

It is definitely not a card for churners but IIRC the version of the card you are referring to is a true 2% cashback card which have become fairly rare these days. I have the older version of the card which gives 4% back on PL opaque purchases and I've been meaning to call to see if I can convert it to the new rewards program.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
It is definitely not a card for churners but IIRC the version of the card you are referring to is a true 2% cashback card which have become fairly rare these days. I have the older version of the card which gives 4% back on PL opaque purchases and I've been meaning to call to see if I can convert it to the new rewards program.
You are not able to convert the $29 card to this newer 5x/2x no fee card. You can apply for the second card as a new customer, and you will likely get an initial denial. Then, you can call Barclay and they can manually approve (overturn the denial) and let you have both cards (may require some credit line transferring from the first card).

The $29 card is no longer available directly from the website. No idea what happens to existing customers. The no fee is superior in all ways unless you make a lot of retail purchases on Priceline website. I have not decided if I should keep the $29 card when the annual fee comes around sometime later this year. I have not really determined my retail purchases total as yet from the Priceline retail side for this year either.

Rasheed
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:06 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Priceline Visa - 2% cashback everywhere?

Did the Priceline visa just quietly become the next 2% cashback everywhere card? I say quietly, because I have never seen this card advertised or talked about anywhere.

Details:

Signup bonus: 5,000 points:

Five thousand bonus points (5,000) will be awarded at the close of the first billing statement in which you make your first purchase or balance transfer. 5,000 bonus points when redeemed for a purchase will be equal to at least $50 in value.
Annual fee: zero

Foreign transaction fee: 3% (bummer...was hoping for a replacement for the schwab visa.

Earn:

a) five (5) points per one dollar ($1) on "Name Your Own Price" transactions made online at priceline.com®.
b) two (2) points per one dollar ($1) spent on all other transactions.
Points redemption: It seems one can redeem points starting at 2500 points for a $25 statement credit (no gift cards, bank account deposits, etc), which can be applied to ANY purchase of $25 or more within 30 days of posting (or Name your own price at priceline transactions within 90 days of posting).

Which purchases are eligible for point redemption?
Purchases of $25 or more are eligible for point redemption within the first 30 days of the transactions posting to the account. Only Name Your Own Price purchases for $25 or more are eligible for point redemption within the first 90 days of posting to the account.
Administered by: Barclay's...

Info taken from:

Card info and application page

FAQ's

I'm pretty sure that this is all accurate. However, nowhere in the FAQ's did it actually clarify that it is 1 cent per point for redemption, or the precise number of points required per redemption...this is implied by information found elsewhere, including the confirmation that the 5K bonus can be redeemed for a $50 statement credit on the landing page. Anyone have experience with this card?

Looks like it might be the best straight up 2% card available - IMO it beats fidelity by being a Visa (broader acceptance than AMEX) AND you don't have to have an account with any particular institution to redeem the rewards.

Edit: further (unclear) details from the T&C:

Points Redemption:

Cardmembers may redeem points for a statement credit toward any purchase transaction that posts to the Account that is equal to or greater than $25. The amount of Points needed to redeem will vary by transaction. To redeem points access your account at www.pricelinerewardsvisa.com and go to the rewards tab. The statement credit will appear on the Account within 1 billing cycle after the points are redeemed. There is no maximum number of points that may be redeemed in any billing cycle.
Since they state that "points needed to redeem will vary by transaction" and that "5,000 bonus points when redeemed for a purchase will be equal to at least $50 in value." (from the description of the signup bonus), does that imply that points are worth at least 1 cent per point, and perhaps more (i.e. if redeemed in greater quantities? for certain purchase categories?)

One more bit of information:

According to this link, 15,000 points can be used for $150 for anything you buy on your card, or "up to" $225 towards Name your own price transactions at priceline.

Therefore, I conclude:

Name your own price transactions earn 5 points/$
All other transactions earn 2 points/$

Points can be redeemed at 1cpp for all purchases (i.e. 2% cashback everywhere, 5% cashback at priceline - Name your own price only), or for "up to" 1.5cpp towards priceline name your own price transactions (i.e. "up to" 3% cashback for every day spend and "up to" 7.5% cashback at name your own price, priceline). This fatwallet thread reveals that most people experience more like a 10-20% advantage rather than 50% on priceline Name your own price redemptions. Therefore, one could probably expect returns of 2.2-2.4% cashback on everyday purchases and 5.5-6% cashback on Name your own price at priceline transactions.

I think this card is a winner...especially when points are applied to Priceline name your own price purchases.

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Apr 11, 2012 at 4:48 pm
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
wow... this sounds good,

...except I can't see what happens
if you don't get qualified for the "plat" card,
which can happen with the US Air cards,
i.e. 25,000 turns into 10,000...

Last edited by MrHalliday; Apr 12, 2012 at 2:05 pm
Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
> 5,000 bonus points when redeemed for a purchase will be equal to at least $50 in value.

I am very skeptical. My Sallie Mae 2% cash back card requires $12,500 in spend to redeem $250. I've yet to see any 2% cash back card offer such a low redemption tier.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:03 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by sunk818
> 5,000 bonus points when redeemed for a purchase will be equal to at least $50 in value.

I am very skeptical. My Sallie Mae 2% cash back card requires $12,500 in spend to redeem $250. I've yet to see any 2% cash back card offer such a low redemption tier.
The fatwallet thread seems to indicate that it is indeed true.

Other details I gleaned from the fatwallet thread:

The minimum redemption is 2500 points for $25 towards any purchase; however, you have to have enough points to cover the entire purchase in order to redeem points:

For example, if you have 10,000 points and make a $59.99 purchase, you can redeem 5999 points for a $59.99 statement credit, and you will have 4001 points leftover; however, you cannot attempt to redeem those 10,000 points towards a $150 purchase; this would require 15,000 points, and you will apparently get a message indicating that you have insufficient points to redeem towards that purchase.

The rates for redemption towards Name your own price purchases are not published, but seem to be better rates towards higher purchases, real examples provided were:

-9500 points for a $103.60 credit (1.09 cents per point = 2.18% cashback on everyday spend)
-27,489 points for a $329.86 credit (1.20 cents per point = 2.4% cashback on everyday spend)

Lastly, there was mention of a $60 Bonus Cash coupon awarded after first purchase good on 3* or better, only up to $12/night (i.e., must stay 5 nights to use all $60). However, this may have been a previous promotion/offer, because I don't see it currently on the offer page.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Previous discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...t-details.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.